Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What can I tow 4-down?

We are considering a new toad, either a new one or a late model. Where can I find a list of vehicles that can be towed 4-down? Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Here is the 2013 Dinghy Towing Guide from FMCA, other years available as well
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013 Dinghy Towing GUide.pdf (564.0 KB, 763 views)
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have also been looking for a new toad and I use this site
Store : Remco
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #4

almost all saturns can be towed 4 down.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Here is the 2013 Dinghy Towing Guide from FMCA, other years available as well
Thanks Dennis, I downloaded that one, but I'm thinking we will go with a late model used vehicle. I see that Motorhome magazine has guides for each year back quite a ways. I'll just have to do a little shopping and if I find something that interests us I'll download the guide for that year.

I'm hoping my wife will change her mind and just keep the one we have! I sure hate to go through all the hassle of getting another toad equipped for towing!

As always, I appreciate your help!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #6

Most anything with front wheel drive and a 5 speed manual transmission can be towed four down. Some front wheel drive vehicles with automatic transmissions can be towed four down. Many four wheel drive vehicles with a transfer case neutral can be towed four down. Start your research with the back years of Dinghy towing guides and the REMCO database and when you have found vehicles you would like to look for find their operators/owners manuals online to find out the manufacturer recommendations for towing the vehicle. Good luck!
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have been looking at the Honda CRV but some reviews mention that is is under-powered if you are using it in mountainous terrain, which is where we like to spend our time when traveling!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #8

The CRV is obviously one of the most popular toads. I'd test drive one somewhere to see if you can get a feel if it is too underpowered for you needs. True, it only has a 4-cylinder engine and is definitely underpowered compared to its competitors but if you do seriously decide to consider buying one, look at the 2010 and later models as they will have additional 14-hp than had the 2009 and previous models.

I know one couple that tow a 2010 and another that tow a 2011 and they both are satisfied. They do tell me that the CRV will still work up a sweat when going up mountain grades with a load but both couples always say something like "hey, we're retired and in no particular hurry." But you are correct, for most, the CRV is definitely underpowered.

And remember, the Motorhome Magazine list is not all inclusive. Many other vehicles can be towed that are not on their list. As jackfish has said, virtually any FWD with a manual transmission can be towed 4-down and many are not listed on the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide. Volkswagens are good example as all VWs with FWD and a manual can be towed 4-down but are never on the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy list. But you, like many, may not want a manual transmission vehicle. We prefer a manual, ourselves.

What we do when help others pick out a toad is to see if a base plate is made for the vehicle. If we see the vehicle listed on the Roadmaster, Blue Ox, or Demco lists as having a base plate made for that vehicle, it means somebody is towing it. We then research to see what has to be done to make it towable, if anything, by going to websites such as Remco.

We too wish you luck with your decision!

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We have never had a problem towing our Jeep Wrangler. It is an older one (1995) that we intentionally picked since they were VERY light back then and we had an older Class C that didn't really have a lot of extra power. We will be using it with the new Class A that we have ordered and if we decide to buy a newer toad we will definitely look at a newer Wrangler. They are a lot of fun and, despite being a little on the high side when considering other toads (relatively speaking), we have thoroughly enjoyed the Jeep. It is very good when driving in the hills/mountains. Good luck with your final decision!
LongDogRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #10

Joe, Before you buy anything for towing, be sure that the manufacture / owners manual approves the vehicle for 4 down. I recently bought a 2012 Honda CRV but from my shopping experience, just because a base plate is available does not necessarily approve it for towing. (no disresect to the previous post). A prime example of this would be the Ford Escape which at one point was approved, but after numerous transmission failure, Ford would no longer allow it. So inorder the avoid a costly error, use the guides as previously recommended and than make a toll free call to manufacturer for confirmation.

I live in the flat lands of Florida and don't have to worry about climbing the mountains, so the CRV is perfect.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #11

Very good advice, Las. I should have qualified my previous response as I knew about that Escape example and I was definitely remiss in not following up my comments with sound advice as yours. Kudos to you for excellent comments.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #12

-harry, After reading my own post, I was afraid that I came across a little to strong which was not my intent. Way to many people got burned on the Escape to the point where Ford was actually paying to have lube pumps installed in order to satisfy the customer.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2009 Chevy HHR completely equipped for towing for sale. Check out my ad in irv classifieds.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
I have a 2009 Chevy HHR completely equipped for towing for sale. Check out my ad in irv classifieds.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!