Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
What cars are people towing on their acme eze dolly?

I am considering the acme eze dolly. I have read a bunch of stuff about using and not using a dolly. We are not full timers and don't have a toad all the time. I can also use a dolly for other things as well. My research has brought me to the acme eze dolly.
I currently have an AWD RAV4. I can't tow it. I am going to need to change. We also have 5 kids and so we really need something with 3 seats.

What are all of you out there towing with your acme eze dolly?
Anybody towing an explorer, Acadia, highlander,pilot, RAV4?

anybody tow a jeep unlimited and put an aftermarket 3rd row seat in?
Can you tow a jeep on a dolly if the transfer case is in neutral?

Sniperchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my parents put a ford fiesta on thiers....
i have my opinion of the dolly, let me say...you get exactly what you pay for, nothing more and nothing less.

each time they leave i expect a call that the car has left the dolly and is cruising on its own down the road.

partly to my dad simply cant get the tiedowns to fit right, he had to use 2x12's for ramps because the Rhino ramps that come with it are toooo slick for a front drive car to power up and over to get loaded

i will say its tough...he has driven up and over it a few times, ran it up over a concrete berm, and lost several tailights

USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have towed a...
Ford Escape Hybrid.
Hyundai Accent.
Ford E150 (at the limit of the dolly but it fit!).

No problems in about 3,000miles and I'm the second owner!

The issues on the post above, are not specific to the EZE-tow. You can drive over the dolly, can lose lights, have to re-adjust the web straps, have to drive-up slick ramps, and can run over concrete berms with any dolly.

What you CAN'T do with an EZE-tow (unless there is a accident) is bump the fender of the dolly into the towed car. This is a risk with all dolly's that have a swivel pan.

I like the light weight and simplicity of the EZE-tow. I know there will be no lose bolts (all welded frame) and can easily move it around by myself when unloaded.

Good luck! If you get the EZE-Tow...and BTW - if you do get one, DO NOT USE THE ARS (chain Auto Restraint System). It prevents the dolly and toad from pivoting during any turns - which could cause serious damage to the Toad and/or the dolly. It was a good idea, just executed poorly.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
I am towing a 2006 Toyota Corolla on my Acme Eze Tow dolly and have no problems. It is easy to load, easy to unload, tows great, disk brakes are great and it is light. I did purchase a trailer tow dolly from Harbor Freight to move it around with and it is a great help for my old bad back. I highly recommend it.
RVNYORKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought an Acme dolly when we first bought a MH. We wanted to tow my wife's Rav4 (2wd auto) and didn't want to install a Remco pump. I loaded the Rav onto the dolly (slick ramps, lots of wheelspin), attached the straps exactly as instructed, and crawled under to attache the safety chains. We drove 100 freeway miles to a campground for a weekend shakedown. By the time we got there, the straps had slackened (one clip was completely off and dangling) and the Rav had slipped back about 4 inches, resulting in the chains going rock solid tight. I had a devil of a job getting it off the dolly. My wife drove the Rav home and I towed the empty dolly. It went on Craigs List the next day and we bought a Honda FIT and equipped it for 4 down towing. Tow dollies are hard work to set up and are downright dangerous in my opinion.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Carolina Campers
I have one of the older Acme dollys, has non-removable ramps. Towed the wife's 2004 VW Beetle to Myrtle Beach and it was a nightmare, but not the dolly's fault. The Beetle is so low that the fenders make removing the dolly straps a major ordeal. Other than that, the Acme was fine. I think the Beetle would be OK on a dolly that has built in ratchets for the straps. My Jeep Liberty can be flat towed (but not dolly towed) so I'm going to sell the dolly and invest in a flat tow rig for the Liberty. BTW my DW loves her Beetle, I'm not too crazy about it. Even a "minor" repair is usually a major pain in the butt.
1995 Thor Residency 3500
Amateur Radio W4KTL
ARRL Member
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've used my EZ tow for 2 years with small front wheel drive cars (Chevy Aveo and Hyundai Elantra). No problems except a light vibrated loose - use lock-tight or lock nuts (which are not supplied).
For any dolly, you have to tighten the nylon straps (as listed in the directions). Nylon stretches.
Thoughts: I would get a used car to tow. I had 5 kids and a front wheel drive mini-van worked well (but I had a pop-up then and didn't have to tow it).
I looked at used tow dollies and all were too well used and about $800 to $1,000 (junk). A new Acme EZ-Tow was the right choice for me.
Last, I put a tow hitch on the toad so I can unload and tow the dolly to the camp site with the toad. This has been very usefull to me - worth the $90 bolt on hitch price.
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Note that some 4WD and some AWD vehicles cannot be towed on a dolly.

It must be 4 up or 4 down.

Drive line/transfer case damage can occur.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
2009 Rav4 on Dolly

I have the Same question, Does anyone have any experience with Towing a 2009 Rav4 on a Dolly.
GULFSTREAM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Dolly a 4x4 Tracker or a Neon on my Acme.
Don and Mary
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #11

Wrangler is strictly 4 down. Better not try it. You will fall in love!
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I tow a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe & have had no problems.
budtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	457.4 KB
ID:	29480 For us, towing the Wrangler could not be any easier.
Jim & Elissa Edmonds
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #14
We have towed an ACME tow dolly behind our motorhome now for app.25000 miles without any problems. We have used 2 different vehicles a 2011 Kia Sorento and a 2009 VW Super Beetle. Yes you have to check the tie-down straps occasionally. The ramps have proven to be great but we do have to use a short block at the end of the ramp when we use the VW to get the front end up a bit so that it clears the dolly when loading and unloading.Yes you can drive over it . I would suggest to anyone who would do so that maybe they need to take some training on gradual acceleration of the vehicle as I think they have a severe case of Heavy Foot ,...Alan

hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote