Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzly View Post
Rent a uhaul tow dolly.

Not a bad idea but may be more expensive that renting a car. Plus the OP may have to disconnect his drive shaft.

We normally tow my jeep but sometimes if it is a short trip we rent something. This weekend we are getting a car from enterprise for $66 tax included from Fri afternoon to Mon afternoon.

Once we had to leave the MH for a week to have work done so it was nice to have the jeep to go home with and then back.

zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha
I know this is probably more personal choice than anything, but when you didn't have a Toad, did you ever have your other half follow you in your car so you had something to drive around sightseeing. We have a Toyota Camry Hybrid which averages about 44 mpg so the extra gas is not an issue and will be less than $175 total including our sightseeing miles. The biggest thing for me is it takes away a little of the fun driving together in the MH. Are we crazy for doing it this way. Our Toad is the next project. Thanks for any advice.
YES

We FTed for a little over 2years and had a car we towed 4down. The cost of setting-up this tow car was around $3k once had all the tow gear installed, wiring, brake system, etc. Since we had the option of towing whenever we wanted....and we were FT.... It may not be fair of us to comment.....BUT..... since many of our drives were often less than 4hrs in duration ......we started towing less and less. It was no big deal for my wife to drive the car for a couple of hours....we did not suffer separation anxiety....the MH was more fun to drive at 38' vrs 55'....and we didn't have to hook & unhook the toad to go sightseeing, go to the grocery store, use smaller gas stations, etc.

As a result, I often began to question if I could do it over again .....would I spend the $3K,...... Would I worry about finding a vehicle that I could tow 4down......it would be a tough decision.

Jack1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
We have a jeep I want to set up to tow. DH is not on board yet....concerned about driving something that long. I am too, but really tired of either following the MH or renting a car or not having the freedom to just "go". Are we worried needlessly?
Old 10-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We have a jeep I want to set up to tow. DH is not on board yet....concerned about driving something that long. I am too, but really tired of either following the MH or renting a car or not having the freedom to just "go". Are we worried needlessly?
No need to be concerned, the toad will follow your motorhome where ever you go. You won't even notice it's back there as you travel. Hook up and go!
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just used the MH,Wow who would think of doing that!Went from RI to Texas and back no toad any thoughts about this,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
No need to be concerned, the toad will follow your motorhome where ever you go. You won't even notice it's back there as you travel. Hook up and go!
Thanks Easyrider ... just showed your post to my DH and he said "ok dear!" We are getting closer ....

He doesn't really mean, ok ... but I'm wearing him down!
Old 10-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I know this is probably more personal choice than anything, but when you didn't have a Toad, did you ever have your other half follow you in your car so you had something to drive around sightseeing. We have a Toyota Camry Hybrid which averages about 44 mpg so the extra gas is not an issue and will be less than $175 total including our sightseeing miles. The biggest thing for me is it takes away a little of the fun driving together in the MH. Are we crazy for doing it this way. Our Toad is the next project. Thanks for any advice.
DW and I bicycle. Great excercise and a great way to see the sights, without the cost of fuel
Ted
Old 10-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #22

We used rental cars, mostly rented small cars that we might consider for later purchase.
tom076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Like others have mentioned, we used Enterprise if they had an Office close enough and serviced where we were staying. If not, we had 2 choices, either depend on a bicycle, or pickup a rental in an area and caravan it. That lasted about 2 years, then I decided to set up a vehicle we already had. Now that I have a towed, I will never be without one unless the economics of setting one up are just not there.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My parents always towed a small Honda behind their Foretravel so when we got our first MH that was over 17' we just got a dolly and towed the '95 Odyssey we had at the time. Never even considered going without a towed and have never considered it since. Just too handy for us. Once I had to transport the DW to the ER some 50 miles away, calling 911 would have been a hassle since we were in a roaming area, the cell phone plan didn't allow roaming (since fixed) and the office was closed so a land line was out.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we started motor coaching a few years ago, we did not have a toad. We thought we'd rely on rental cars. That didn't work out very well for us, and often we found ourselves in the situation where we really wished that we had some other mode of transportation along with our motor coach.

So, we made the move and acquired a toad. It was a great decision. The only negative I can think of we can't back up with the toad hitched up.

Our coach broke down on the road once. In about ten minutes, we were on the road in the toad to find the necessary repairs. Soon the coach was up and running again and we continued on our way. Without the toad we would have been at the mercy of someone's willingness and ability to help us.

We have never traveled anywhere in the coach since without the toad.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Between toweds we simply planned our travels so that on Wed, we drove the motor home to choir practice and since one of our paydays was always Wed and the other could be we did out shopping and such, and on Sunday we drove it to church and/or changed campgrounds.

Thank heaven, Insurance companies and President Obama for the towed.
(Prayer, Payments and some legal things he changed added up to a new towed).
Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
You'll be fine, it's actually a lot easier than you are thinking. Bought my first motorhome in July of last year and had only taken a test drive (w/out towd) and then set out on our first trip towing a 5,000 lb Chevy Traverse. I was sweating bullets when we first hit the road but in no time had it all figured out. Couldn't imagine traveling without pulling the second vehicle.

Go for it!

SWag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad