Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

What Did You Do Before You Had A Toad?

I know this is probably more personal choice than anything, but when you didn't have a Toad, did you ever have your other half follow you in your car so you had something to drive around sightseeing. We have a Toyota Camry Hybrid which averages about 44 mpg so the extra gas is not an issue and will be less than $175 total including our sightseeing miles. The biggest thing for me is it takes away a little of the fun driving together in the MH. Are we crazy for doing it this way. Our Toad is the next project. Thanks for any advice.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Our trips were too long to allow the DW to follow me so we used Enterprise rental cars. Enterprise will come to the campground and pick you up, take you to their office to complete the paperwork.

When returning the rental stop at their office pay up and they take you back to the campground.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Community Administrator

My advice would be to move up that " next project ". We never were toadless and can't imagine Rving without the two of us in the same vehicle. Another alternative is to rent a car in locations you visit.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
I personally chose to have both of us in the RV. We would not want to both drive, so we pull our toad. If you camp more than drive (i.e.: stay in one spot for weeks or months at a time) then it may make sense to drive both. We only camp for short stays and drive 3 or 4K miles during the summer months, therefore, pulling the toad works better for us.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #5

We are leaving tomorrow so I can't speed up the Toad purchase, I have been lagging on that though because we just can't decide what to buy and which car we already have to get rid of as neither can be towed 4 down. The rental method may work depending on where we are...Thanks
Old 10-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Our friends traveled from Albuquerque to Colorado this summer with a pickup and 5er. His DW will not drive the pickup once camp has been set up, so she followed him all the way in her car. I am with you, we enjoy the ride together waaaay to much to sacrifice like that. We did take a 4,000 mile trip this spring, and had to leave our Jeep behind due to a mechanical issue. We had no problem renting cars when one was needed, just google for rental cars once you know where you will be staying. Once you get a toad, you will never do it any other way.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
What did you do before you had a Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
... we just can't decide what to buy and which car we already have to get rid of as neither can be towed 4 down...
When I started out, our car could not be flat towed, so I used a dolly. It worked fine until I upgraded to a tow bar with base plate. Another option would be a trailer. My Dad used one for his Outback and it was light and easy to use.

You don't need a car that can be flat towed in order to pull a toad.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies, our trips so far have either been close 200-300 miles staying for 3-4 days, or visiting family destinations of about three weeks but they always had a car we could use. This trip will be about 1000 miles round trip, with 4 major stops and driving about 250 miles a day at the most.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #9

We brought bicycles with us, borrowed cars, or rented for our first year.
Spent weeks searching Craigslist for our CRV, but very happy.
Had to check out a bunch of lemons before finding the right one. Excellent condition sure means different things to different people.
Not cheap, but well worth doing the TOAD
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #10

Rent a uhaul tow dolly.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

We used Enterprise but we found on a few occasions they would pick us up but not deliver us back to campground. I would take a cab back to campground when this occurred.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #12

My wife followed me on our latest trip since we haven't finished setting up the FJ for towing (drive shaft w/ disconnect should arrive this week). We're in Durango (370 miles) for 3 weeks so we needed a vehicle to drive around. It's not ideal, but it's better than not having a vehicle to drive around to explore, get groceries, etc. We've also done a couple of weekends like this but they were nearby destinations primarily to shake down the new MH.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Our trips were too long to allow the DW to follow me so we used Enterprise rental cars. Enterprise will come to the campground and pick you up, take you to their office to complete the paperwork.

When returning the rental stop at their office pay up and they take you back to the campground.
I also used Enterprise many times, I have also used Public Transportation, depends on where I am going.

If you can justify a toad, I would recommend it just for the convenience.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
When I didn't have a toad, I went and bought one, pronto. I would not enjoy RVing with no toad. Takes away the freedom that was the reason I got the motorhome in the first place.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad