Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
I am still new to RVing. I have a 99 Newmar Class A and have a new Jeep Wrangler on order. What do I need to do to modify both vehicles for towing 4 down? I could also use some suggestions for companies to do the mods in Las Vegas and any estimates for how much to pay. Thanks, Randy.
I was staying at AZ Charlies in Vegas in Feb and had some warranty work done on my RV at Johnny Walker's RV on Boulder (across from Sam's Town). Plus they added 2 more batteries to my existing batteries. They seemed fast and did a good job for me. I would use them again if I needed work in Vegas.

I just installed the Blue Ox base plate on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Manual tranny. I am using the Trailer Mate wiring harness TM781124 from etrailer for my lights. I will be using the Patriot braking system.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #16

Thanks again for the advice. Now I just need to pick up my Jeep (hopefully this weekend). I'll post what I wind up doing in case some else in my position reads this string.

Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
I used a Currie Enterprise tow plate, Blue Ox Patriot breaking system, Cool Tech wiring harness and the Toad Charger to keep battery charged. Also use the Protect-A-Tow.
DITTO... 7,000 trouble free tow miles. Currie is sooooo much better in ease of use, style and looks than the Blue Ox plate or many of the others.... Unless you spend 500+ on a new bumper.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1956 View Post

DITTO... 7,000 trouble free tow miles. Currie is sooooo much better in ease of use, style and looks than the Blue Ox plate or many of the others.... Unless you spend 500+ on a new bumper.
I still keep wondering why the toad charger. In any vehicle I drive my regulator protects battery from over charge. Seems like that protection would also prevent toad battery from over charging. I fuse my charge line at 10 amps but have never seen it go above 5 amps. My toad battery will never get above the voltage of my MH battery that is protected by the voltage regulator. If that voltage was too high than there would be problem with my voltage regulator.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post

I still keep wondering why the toad charger. In any vehicle I drive my regulator protects battery from over charge. Seems like that protection would also prevent toad battery from over charging. I fuse my charge line at 10 amps but have never seen it go above 5 amps. My toad battery will never get above the voltage of my MH battery that is protected by the voltage regulator. If that voltage was too high than there would be problem with my voltage regulator.
I just prefer to error on the side of caution. After forgetting to turn the key off when stopping after a long day of driving and killing my battery (several times) I decided to set up my JK to charge when towing. I agree you could "probably" get away without the "road charge" system. But I prefer the peace of mind this provides.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1956 View Post

I just prefer to error on the side of caution. After forgetting to turn the key off when stopping after a long day of driving and killing my battery (several times) I decided to set up my JK to charge when towing. I agree you could "probably" get away without the "road charge" system. But I prefer the peace of mind this provides.
Confused I am.
My JK does not require key on. Never had a battery issue. Or does your steering wheel lock? Just wondering

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Confused I am.
My JK does not require key on. Never had a battery issue. Or does your steering wheel lock? Just wondering
I have an 08 and yes it's one that locks. I pull the fuse but that was not enough. Since I added the toad charger I have not had any problems.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I agree. Btw a brake system is required in most states over a 3000 lb tow vehicle. I'd hate to have an accident and not have one. Also if you want to goto Canada, its mandatory. They checked mine.
Not so, many states don't consider a motorized vehicle being towed by another motorized vehicle a "trailer" In WA, OR and CA the two together are considered a "combination vehicle" and the only requirement is to stop in XX feet from XX mph. WA and CA have the same braking requirements and OR is a shorter distance.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Confused I am.
Some of the older vehicles required a key to unlock steering when they were towed. I towed an 89 Geo several years ago & would forget to turn key off at the end of the day. Lot of improvements in newer toads.

I still run a charge line but don' use that special charging device.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post

Some of the older vehicles required a key to unlock steering when they were towed. I towed an 89 Geo several years ago & would forget to turn key off at the end of the day. Lot of improvements in newer toads.

I still run a charge line but don' use that special charging device.
I could have done the same. But as I said in my very first post it is out of caution and for piece of mind I plopped down $100 and installed the "toad charge" system. It is simple to install and adds a level of protection to my jeep that may prevent issues in the future. It's all about personal preference I guess.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
07 Wrangler JKU Auto here.
Roadmaster base plates, Demco Adapters, Ready Brake / Ready Brute tow bar,
Put TC in Neutral, Tranny in Park if Auto, 6th gear if manual, take out the key because the column doesn't lock since 08.
My whole setup was under $1400 and one day of my labor. Really wasn't to darn hard if you don't mind laying on your back.

I have an 07 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited auto, lifted 2.5" with 33" tires. I'm looking at pretty much the same setup as you. I like the simple brake system integrated into the ready brake/ready brute.

However, I believe my steering locks, so would I have to leave the key in/on? How can I keep battery charged while towing?

Also, did you order your setup in pieces from various places or is there a one stop shop type solution? It gets complicated between all the parts, pricing, timing, etc. Would rather find one setup that can handle it all and maybe a place to have it all installed, even tho it sounds easy enough to do.

Also, I'm thinking about adding a dirt bike hauler between the RV and Jeep with a pass through hitch to the jeep toad setup. Would this create too much strain or moving parts in the mix or should it be ok? I would get a heavy duty dirt bike hauler and my dirt bike is only 300lbs (Yamaha tw200)

Appreciate any thoughts or further insight you can provide. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #26

I recently saw a post where the RVer had a dumb key made for his Jeep. It would unlock door, unlock steering but won't start the vehicle. If you forget and leave the key in the Jeep nobody can start it with the dumb key. Seems like a good idea if you need to unlock steering. I don't need it since my vehicle doesn't have lock steering wheel.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sQuid2013 View Post
I have an 07 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited auto, lifted 2.5" with 33" tires. I'm looking at pretty much the same setup as you. I like the simple brake system integrated into the ready brake/ready brute.

However, I believe my steering locks, so would I have to leave the key in/on? How can I keep battery charged while towing?

Also, did you order your setup in pieces from various places or is there a one stop shop type solution? It gets complicated between all the parts, pricing, timing, etc. Would rather find one setup that can handle it all and maybe a place to have it all installed, even tho it sounds easy enough to do.

Also, I'm thinking about adding a dirt bike hauler between the RV and Jeep with a pass through hitch to the jeep toad setup. Would this create too much strain or moving parts in the mix or should it be ok? I would get a heavy duty dirt bike hauler and my dirt bike is only 300lbs (Yamaha tw200)

Appreciate any thoughts or further insight you can provide. Thanks!
Yes, keep the key in the acc position and pull the IOD fuse under the hood. Why would you need to worry about the battery drain? Nothing is on.

I bought my pieces from various sources. The base plates from eBay. The tow bar / brakes / adapter from Midnight Auto.
The coil cord from Camping world and coiled safety cable from eBay.
The light harness from Cooltech LLC.

I won't comment on the bike carrier behind the RV, in front of the Jeep.

Timing? I waited until I had all the parts in place and spent one day bolting it all together. I saved about $3,000 doing it myself.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
Yes, keep the key in the acc position and pull the IOD fuse under the hood. Why would you need to worry about the battery drain? Nothing is on.

I bought my pieces from various sources. The base plates from eBay. The tow bar / brakes / adapter from Midnight Auto.
The coil cord from Camping world and coiled safety cable from eBay.
The light harness from Cooltech LLC.

I won't comment on the bike carrier behind the RV, in front of the Jeep.

Timing? I waited until I had all the parts in place and spent one day bolting it all together. I saved about $3,000 doing it myself.
Very cool. Yeah there are a lot of parts and pieces to figure out that's for sure.

Can I ask why you have to pull the IOD fuse?

Logistically I'm trying to keep the whole setup as simple as possible. With family/friends, packing/setup, closing/opening RV, and managing the tow setup, I want as few moving parts, pieces, and THINGS TO REMEMBER as possible. There's too much that can go wrong.

Still trying to figure out the best way to get the dirt bike into the mix as well. I'll have bicycles on the back hitch of the jeep too. And probably kayaks on top. Ugggghhhh... so fun but so much to pack and deal with hahah