Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

What do I need to do to tow a Jeep 4 down?

I am still new to RVing. I have a 99 Newmar Class A and have a new Jeep Wrangler on order. What do I need to do to modify both vehicles for towing 4 down? I could also use some suggestions for companies to do the mods in Las Vegas and any estimates for how much to pay. Thanks, Randy.
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Randy ,look here http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3943530 and go through the threads and you will most likely find out what you need to do for a start
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Randy

Since the jeep is manual transmission, that makes life easy.
I used a blue ox base plate and tow bar. From what I heard its one of the best on the market. Cost about $800 plus installation.
You will need some sort of braking system. I have an RVI braking system. But there many others. They cost about $1K
There may be cheaper ones.
Most Rv repair shop can hook you up.
I went on line to hitchsource.com. And had my local shop do the install.
I hope that helps
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I asked that very same question here!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/what-...wn-130221.html

In addition to what is mentioned in that thread, you may need a "drop hitch" if the back of your rig where the hitch goes and front of your Jeep is more than about 2" to 3" off.

For what it's worth, I have the ReadyBrute Elite and it's fantastic. Don't need a physical breaking device (like a Brake Buddy) in the Jeep.

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
i toad a wrangler or explorer depending on what my wife decides makes no difference on whether your wrangler is a stick or auto the base plate can be found on line for less than 400 bux and an easy install .we use a brake buddy altho a lot of folks dont use a brake system i use it for a liability issue if a collision were to happen (your new jeep will weigh in at about 4500lbs )
brianj
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. Btw a brake system is required in most states over a 3000 lb tow vehicle. I'd hate to have an accident and not have one. Also if you want to goto Canada, its mandatory. They checked mine.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #7

I used a Currie Enterprise tow plate, Blue Ox Patriot breaking system, Cool Tech wiring harness and the Toad Charger to keep battery charged. Also use the Protect-A-Tow.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
07 Wrangler JKU Auto here.
Roadmaster base plates, Demco Adapters, Ready Brake / Ready Brute tow bar,
Put TC in Neutral, Tranny in Park if Auto, 6th gear if manual, take out the key because the column doesn't lock since 08.
My whole setup was under $1400 and one day of my labor. Really wasn't to darn hard if you don't mind laying on your back.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #9

I just bought a Brake Buddy, Had it wired up today in my Jeep Wrangler. Any tips on how to set it up, like what sensitivty setting do you use and what air pressure, I am thinking about 55 to 60 psi ???

Dennis
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
I just bought a Brake Buddy, Had it wired up today in my Jeep Wrangler. Any tips on how to set it up, like what sensitivty setting do you use and what air pressure, I am thinking about 55 to 60 psi ???

Dennis
I have a JK, 2012.
Setting 5
60 lbs
Easy-peasy
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #11

Thanks for advice everyone, I really appreciate it! Randy
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
i toad a wrangler or explorer depending on what my wife decides makes no difference on whether your wrangler is a stick or auto the base plate can be found on line for less than 400 bux and an easy install .we use a brake buddy altho a lot of folks dont use a brake system i use it for a liability issue if a collision were to happen (your new jeep will weigh in at about 4500lbs )
brianj
You might want to check the weight of your Jeep depending on Model. I have a two door Sport which weighs in at 2910 lbs. Also the laws vary depending on your state, or the states you travel through. Most states do not require a controller, but for those that do, 3000 lbs is typically the weight requirement. I do believe safety comes first but don't waste money if you don't need to.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #13

Randy, if you decide not to order your baseplates and towbar, etc. online and install the brackets yourself, a great place in Vegas is Vegas Trailer Supply. They have a very good reputation in Las Vegas for all things RV. They'll be able to sell and install your base plates, wiring, supplemental brake, and tow bar or give you any advice on what you need if you are going to do it yourself. They are competitive in price too.

I believe they sell both Blue Ox and Roadmaster and can probably get anything else you choose. They also are an authorized dealer for the U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake (I have that and recommend it but you'll have to do your research on what you want to use as to supplemental brakes).

They're on Fremont, southeast of downtown, just before Sahara (before Fremont turns into Boulder Highway).

Here's their website:

Vegas Trailer Supply

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I agree. Btw a brake system is required in most states over a 3000 lb tow vehicle. I'd hate to have an accident and not have one. Also if you want to goto Canada, its mandatory. They checked mine.

Absolutely! The breaking system is actually integrated in my Ready Brute elite (so you don't need a separate unit). I re-read my post and I wasn't clear when I initially typed my response. Thanks!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote