Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:32 PM   #99

Tiffin Owners Club
We tow a 94 Honda Accord.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401593510.062022.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	64304

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2014 Chevy Equinox LS without AWD (AWD is fine too according to GM). Chevy allows towing four wheels down with no restrictions other than Speed limited to 65 MPH and starting the car at every stop, and such towing will not affect the warranty.

We love our Equinox!

We formerly towed a 1997 VW Golf Cabrio Convertable (manual transmission) with no modifications and no issues.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post
Just finished our maiden run towing the new Explorer about 700 miles. No issues and pulled great. After the Tahoe with a transfer case I was a little concerned about all wheel drive, but no worries for now. Ron & Kathy 2009 HR Endeavor PDQ - 2014 Ford Explorer Sport - Maine coon cat, 2 orange tabbys
RvRon.

I just bought a 2014 limited to tow. What brake system did you choose and what brake light adapter did you install ? I am planning on using the road master tow bar.

Thank you

Garth
Old 06-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post
I just traded my 08 Tahoe (which towed great) for a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. Roadmaster tow brackets, Roadmaster Blackhawk tow bar, RV1 charging kit, Roadmaster universal wiring kit with diodes. I use a Brake Buddy Vantage Select. Ron & Kathy 2009 HR Endeavor PDQ - 2014 Ford Explorer Sport - Maine coon cat, 2 orange tabbys
Did u install? Road master had pretty good instructions. Wondering if they are as complete as they appear.

Thanks. Garth.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewilli View Post
RvRon.

I just bought a 2014 limited to tow. What brake system did you choose and what brake light adapter did you install ? I am planning on using the road master tow bar.

Thank you

Garth

Hey Garth, I went with the Roadmaster Universal Wiring Kit #154, ( you cannot use the socket and bulb harness as there's no room for the extra bulb.) a RVI battery charger, and a brake light relay switch. The relay is necessary due to the cars brake lights trying to override the signals from the MH. I also changed to a 7 to 6 straight pigtail to run the Explorer, that way I can run the charging wire.
I am currently using my BrakeBuddy Vantage Select that I had in the Tahoe. Works fine in the Explorer.
Another note: The Ford has separate brake and turn signals. if your MH has a combined Brake and Turn signal output like mine does then you have to wire the turn signals to the brake circuit and abandon the cars native turn lamps while towing. As soon as you unhook, it will be normal again. The Ford also attached lower than my old Tahoe so I had to buy a 4" drop receiver (10K rated) and longer safety cables. I use a Blackhawk towbar.
So there you go...any questions you can PM me if you like. Ron

Ron & Kathy
2009 HR Endeavor PDQ - 2014 Ford Explorer Sport - Maine coon cat, 2 orange tabbys
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #104

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewilli View Post
Did u install? Road master had pretty good instructions. Wondering if they are as complete as they appear.

Thanks. Garth.

Just saw your second post. The instructions are very good and if you're handy with the right tools, it's not bad. I did not do it, I had my Ford dealer install all as it would've taken me a week to do it. The hardest part was wiring with the diode kit. Had to remove inner cargo liner (sides) to find a place big enough for the diodes to live. Just took some time scratching the head.

Ron & Kathy
2009 HR Endeavor PDQ - 2014 Ford Explorer Sport - Maine coon cat, 2 orange tabbys
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #105

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
99 Holiday Rambler V10. Blue Ox tow equipment. Connectors 6 round / Cables / Baseplate / Light Kit / Aventa LX tow bar. IRV2 Toad brake system. 2014 Chevy Spark 2LT manual. 2200lbs. Pulls like it isn't there. Stumbled thru the installation myself. Took about 3 hours with a little help from best friend.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #106

We tow a 2013 Honda CR-V using an all Demo tow system. This is our first year towing. We traveled 6000mi last year not towing. Already know I like towing better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1401665802368.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	64372  
Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #107

Do you still tow with your Kar Kaddy SS? My wife and I are thinking about one. We want to tow an Acura RDX FWD and was told that car dolly was the best for folding into a small area and also had good brakes.