Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #127

I am not sure we have been giving the correct answer to your questions. 4 wheel drive jeeps are no problem as you probably have figured out. I see you have a 2 wheel drive and I am not familiar with that type. Your Chrysler dealer should be able to answer most of your questions
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT View Post
Can't rule out the Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4 automatic, light weight, low maintance, and fun to drive.

I second that. Our suzuki has been a perfect toad and fun to drive. It trackes well, it's light, lots of head room, and with the 4x4 you can drive it anywhere.
Rollly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #129

Thank's everyone. Spoke with a shop yesterday and they quoted me $430 for the base plate and $300 to install it. $180 for the electrical harness and $100 to install that. My response was to be expected by my wife. [moderator edit] Your not doing brain surgery, so how do they justify $90 an hour. Went to a local rv place and they had a big plake, $125 an hour, one hour min.

Still looking, and I know I'll find an honest grease monkey out there.
dportem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #130
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dportem View Post
Thank's everyone. Spoke with a shop yesterday and they quoted me $430 for the base plate and $300 to install it. $180 for the electrical harness and $100 to install that. My response was to be expected by my wife. [moderator edit] Your not doing brain surgery, so how do they justify $90 an hour. Went to a local rv place and they had a big plake, $125 an hour, one hour min.

Still looking, and I know I'll find an honest grease monkey out there.
It's a thing called liability insurance, if your vehicle came loose and caused any damage because of their workmanship then they turn it in to their insurance co.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #131

Paying that kind of money to a shop that pays their help not much more than minimum wage grrrrrrrrr.
this is why I get all the info I can and do the work myself.
Buy a good set of tools get the instruction manuals; all these things come with instructions, and save yourself a bundle.
unless you have realy deep pockets this is the only way to go.

I have been RVing most of my life, I can count the times I've taken my RV to a shop on one hand and will have a few fingers left over.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #132

I agree with robert h, if you are at all mechanical you should be able to do this yourself. The instructions I received from Blue Ox and US Gear out of the box were excellent. I took my time (at my age there is no other way) and when I had any doubts or questions I called the company for help. I only called US Gear once and they were excellent with their help and advice to my problem. I had a wiring issue I wasn't quite sure of.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #133

Quote"
. I took my time (at my age there is no other way) and when I had any doubts or questions I called the company for help. I only called US Gear once and they were excellent with their help

I'm 76 if I can do it just about everyone should be able to.
Just take your time and don't get in a hurry; you will find even the most difficult task is simple if you just break it down in parts.
I've even installed two new HWH jacks and springs on my motorhome.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #134

robert h I am 71 and good advice on diy. On another subject how do I become a senior member? do you have to be 75?
Old 06-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
robert h I am 71 and good advice on diy. On another subject how do I become a senior member? do you have to be 75?
don't realy know somehow it just got tacked on.

when I get to 85 I want to be addressed as Sr. Sr. and hope to be still roaming the highways.
I've wore out three motorhomes after about 140,000 miles I'm ready for another one.;------ I'm on my fourth; I'v had several trailers; a popup and a few tents. isn't life great
Old 06-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #136

Keep on truckin robert h. I have a feeling you will be still truckin when you are 85 and more
Old 06-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #137
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
Paying that kind of money to a shop that pays their help not much more than minimum wage grrrrrrrrr.
this is why I get all the info I can and do the work myself.
Buy a good set of tools get the instruction manuals; all these things come with instructions, and save yourself a bundle.
unless you have realy deep pockets this is the only way to go.

I have been RVing most of my life, I can count the times I've taken my RV to a shop on one hand and will have a few fingers left over.
I agree totally, I was only using this as one of the reasons the shop rates are where they're at .
Old 06-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Keep on truckin robert h. I have a feeling you will be still truckin when you are 85 and more
june 23 were headed for Maine; can't wait to get back on the road.

I live in Clearwater Florida, and right now it's realy getting hot here. my outside thermometer read 102 at noon today.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #139

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bruce, being a senior member means you have posted a certain number of times, I don't remember for sure but I think it means 250 or more posts. Before the new format was installed I saw a list showing how many posts were required for each designation, but it has nothing to do with your age!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #140

Easyrider, thank you for clearing that up. It does make sense. I guess I have a way to go.