Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #155

Forest River Owners Club
We flat tow a manual 2003 Mini Cooper and love it..... Works great and would definitely do it again....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414529555.408219.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	77713

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #156

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
is that enclave a AWD?

Old 10-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
We flat tow a manual 2003 Mini Cooper and love it..... Works great and would definitely do it again....Attachment 77713
I've been a pretty happy Ford guy since the 2009 GM gov't bailout but those Mini Coopers are intriguing. Anything special you have to do to tow one?
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #158

Forest River Owners Club
Not a thing...... Simply put in neutral, start engine, turn off engine and leave key in ignition.... Release emergency brake and away you go.....
Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #159

Location: I currently live in Temecula, CA, southern california wine country
Send a message via Skype™ to Coyotetr
Towing a toad with a manual transmission 4 down

Not good news when you blow your transmission on Interstate 40 on the big hill down to the Colorado River at Needles, CA. When you pull off the road a million big rigs zipping by almost out of control is pretty scary and here your car is smoking big time. In this case it was my 2011 Ford Fusion, the manual says you can pull it 4 down as long as you stop every couple hundred miles and start the car and run it through the gears. Did that but still no cigar, the transmission cooked big time. We had to get it towed to Bull Head City, AZ and leave it there for about a month while they ordered a transmission and installed it. It worked fine but we certainly did not pull it back. The problem? When towing an automatic transmission (the Ford Fusion uses a Mazda transmission) the transmission dries out. OK so we did what Ford recommended but going down that steep grade must have dried all the ATF in the tranny. So what to do, you have three choices, get another car, get a tow dolly or pay two thousand plus for a transmission pump to keep it lubricated. For some reason, I'm not quiet sure I trust it, you know, the old saying twice bitten. I bought a used tow dolly for six hundred dollars but it's a real hassle compared to the Blue Ox I have been using. Has anyone used the transmission pump? I would pay the money if I knew it would work.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #160

You will see more Jeep's than most other vehicles. Put 4WD transfer case in neutral and on your way. We found a great used Jeep at Car Max.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotetr View Post
Not good news when you blow your transmission on Interstate 40 on the big hill down to the Colorado River at Needles, CA. When you pull off the road a million big rigs zipping by almost out of control is pretty scary and here your car is smoking big time. In this case it was my 2011 Ford Fusion, the manual says you can pull it 4 down as long as you stop every couple hundred miles and start the car and run it through the gears. Did that but still no cigar, the transmission cooked big time. We had to get it towed to Bull Head City, AZ and leave it there for about a month while they ordered a transmission and installed it. It worked fine but we certainly did not pull it back. The problem? When towing an automatic transmission (the Ford Fusion uses a Mazda transmission) the transmission dries out. OK so we did what Ford recommended but going down that steep grade must have dried all the ATF in the tranny. So what to do, you have three choices, get another car, get a tow dolly or pay two thousand plus for a transmission pump to keep it lubricated. For some reason, I'm not quiet sure I trust it, you know, the old saying twice bitten. I bought a used tow dolly for six hundred dollars but it's a real hassle compared to the Blue Ox I have been using. Has anyone used the transmission pump? I would pay the money if I knew it would work.
I'm confused. You 1st stated a manual tranny, then referred to an automatic?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #162

Newmar Owners Club
2006 & 2010 Ford Explorer 4X4

Wife loves Ford Explorers! We've towed my Wrangler and two 4x4 Explorers. The Explorers needed a Neutral Shift kit installed ($200) but they have been flawless for nearly 100,000 miles of towing. However, that being said I am having a little trouble getting the it to shift into Neutral. Having to shift thru the 4x4 gears, first. I'm thinking its time for a Transfer Case oil change.

We love the spaciousness of the Explorer and will seriously consider the new Explorer when it's time to trade!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
Wife loves Ford Explorers! We've towed my Wrangler and two 4x4 Explorers. The Explorers needed a Neutral Shift kit installed ($200) but they have been flawless for nearly 100,000 miles of towing. However, that being said I am having a little trouble getting the it to shift into Neutral. Having to shift thru the 4x4 gears, first. I'm thinking its time for a Transfer Case oil change.

We love the spaciousness of the Explorer and will seriously consider the new Explorer when it's time to trade!
We've been Jonesing for a new Explorer. Sure is one nice looking ride...
Old 11-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #164

We tow a 1999 Jeep Wrangler. Very easy to hook and unhook. Never had a problem.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #165

Smart Car Toad

Have been towing a 2009 Smart Car for 3 years. Don't even know you are towing it. 45+ MPG No problems at all, have towed it for over 20,00 miles.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotetr View Post
sorry for the pain... if you go with a honda crv or fit (2014 and prior), you should be fine. i towed mine 4 down with no issues.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #167

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

I've towed the MKZ four down for 10,000 miles now. Super easy to engage .... select Neutral Tow, automatically unlocks the steering, stops odometer, disengages the parking brake and shuts all the power drain issues. Then apply brake pedal and hit neutral button. Only weighs 3900 lbs and can be towed up to 70 mph. I did have some problems with the MKZ frame cracking from the baseplate, but spent some time at Blue Ox factory and they replaced it with a new, much sturdier connection.

We get a lot of complements on the car. Very luxurious ride but still corners like a go-cart. One of the quietest cars on the road. With the hybrid, we get same mileage in town as on the road, about 36-38. Not the epa 45/45 advertised, but still twice what my '99 Suzuki Grand Vitara was giving me. I pulled the Suz over 80,000 miles and not one once of trouble.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #168

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been towing our 1994 Honda Accord for about 4 years, I guess. It has a manual transmission. Real easy, jut put it in neutral and go. It's getting kinda tired so we just bought a 2014 Honda CRV. It's not set up to tow yet, but not much traveling this time of year anyway. Really like driving the CRV even without towing it.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow