Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #183

Tiffin Owners Club
We have towed a 1994 Honda Accord for the past 2-1/2 years. (maybe 12k miles). It's a manual transmission and is very light. Put in neutral, turn key to ACC, (radio off) and parking brake off. Does real well. Last month we bought a 2014 CR-V that we intend to tow. I don't have it rigged up yet, but hopefully will over the winter.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #184

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We tow a 2005 Honda Pilot. It has been a wonderful toad, and an exceptionally fine vehicle. About 150,000 absolutely trouble free miles with an additional 30,000 unrecorded towing miles.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #185

Carolina Campers
What do you tow? Would you do again?

Now my toad is a 2013 Honda CR-V, four down, Demco Commander tow bar, Stay-N-Play breaking system. I love this set up and find it very easy so hook up and unhook.

Before, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid, four down, same tow bar as I now use on the Honda, BreakBuddy breaking system. I loved that set up as well.

Before that, 2007 Honda Accord, using a tow dolly, same BreakBuddy as for the Escape. I will never go back to a tow dolly after experiencing the convenience and safety of a tow bar with four down. I found the tow dolly very difficult, time consuming, unsafe as the belts would loosen up over time, very hard to store at home and in the camp site, and requires a good back and arm strength (witch was more than I can do now).

Ted
Old 11-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #186

Tiffin Owners Club
We tow a 2010 Honda Fit with a Blue Ox hitch (auto trans). No brake assist but with gross weight of 2200 pounds we don't know it's back there. This was our first year with a motorhome and traveled about 4000 miles with the toad - no issues. Would like your thoughts on legality and sensibility of no brake assist. When we had hitch installed, dealer suggested we try it with no brake assist stating we would probably not know it was back there - they were correct. What about local laws, insurance requirements, brake wear, etc.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #187

Monaco Owners Club
We gave a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. Since June 2014 we have towed it 7,500 miles. Very easy to set up for towing and love the car. If I needed to do it over I would do the same again.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #188

we tow 2006 Honda element 4 down all wheel drive with motor warmed up set shifter from drive to neutral switch key to off (steering wheel free to turn) radio and heater turned off .power from motor home to car battery thru a diode to keep car battery up. I ran independent wiring to rear of car and installed a duel element light bulb in both rear light fixtures to keep wiring separate from cars. Then set up blue ox braking system also use blue ox tow bar. have 13000 to 14000 miles on towed and love it
Old 11-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #189

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post
We tow a 2010 Honda Fit with a Blue Ox hitch (auto trans). No brake assist but with gross weight of 2200 pounds we don't know it's back there. This was our first year with a motorhome and traveled about 4000 miles with the toad - no issues. Would like your thoughts on legality and sensibility of no brake assist. When we had hitch installed, dealer suggested we try it with no brake assist stating we would probably not know it was back there - they were correct. What about local laws, insurance requirements, brake wear, etc.
Hi Jarret:

Regarding towing laws and regulations, I found Brake Buddy's website most helpful. Everyone who hooks a toad to their MH should read this:

Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle

The lesson all should learn is that from both safety and liability standpoints, CYA! If you decide to roll the dice (as many do) and end up in an accident involving a motorhome/toad combination without proper and/or mandatory safety equipment, no one else is going to cover your backside, and you will most assuredly woe the day. :{
Old 11-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #190

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspryan View Post
Hi Jarret:

Regarding towing laws and regulations, I found Brake Buddy's website most helpful. Everyone who hooks a toad to their MH should read this:

Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle

The lesson all should learn is that from both safety and liability standpoints, CYA! If you decide to roll the dice (as many do) and end up in an accident involving a motorhome/toad combination without proper and/or mandatory safety equipment, no one else is going to cover your backside, and you will most assuredly woe the day. :{
There is an extensive thread on this very subject, " reasons and law for auxiliary braking systems." A search will cover all your questions from insurance requirements, moral liability, to state laws requiring braking systems. Basically it's an acute liability issue and one that all towing should be aware of. Please do yourself a great service by CYA and purchasing a system of your choice.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #191

Monaco Owners Club
What do you tow?

We have towed our 2010 Mini Cooper for 30,000 miles,four down.Hook it up to the RoadMaster, take out of gear(it's a manual Trans),let off hand break and go.We hardly know it's there as it is under 3000lbs.Our Invisa-Break works perfectly and have barely felt it when descending mountains.It is perfect for the two of us and gets great gas mileage.We tow it behind the mothership,a 40ft diesel.The only downside might be is it is not made for off road because of it's setting so low to ground.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #192

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the responses, I'm sold. Now that I know I want a brake assist the question is which one. Any thoughts, prices seem to range from $500 to $1500. I am guessing you get what you pay for.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #193

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post
Thanks for the responses, I'm sold. Now that I know I want a brake assist the question is which one. Any thoughts, prices seem to range from $500 to $1500. I am guessing you get what you pay for.

Yes, you get what you pay for. But it also depends on the setup and type of coach.

For example, if you have a DP, with air brakes, you may want to go with one that works with your air brakes (e.g.: Air-Force-One). If you have a gas coach, or at least one without air brakes, you may want to consider the sister product called Stay-N-Play. I have the later. Approximately $1K, and installation.

I like this set up because it works in conjunction with my breaking inside the coach. As I apply pressure to the brakes in the coach, the brakes are applied to the car. The harder the breaking in the coach, the harder the brakes are applied in the car. It requires some installation. With the instructions, it can be installed by the owner, but may be a more challenging project than some may be up for. The sensitivity of braking can be easily adjusted with a knob on the controller.

Now, all I do is hook up the tow bar, attach the electrical connection to the coach, flip a switch in the car on the braking system controller, and I am ready to go. I also check the lights to insure it is working correctly when the brakes and light signals as another pro dent step to be sure it is hooked up correctly.

On the other hand, I have used (and still own and carry) a BreakBuddy system. Which is approximately $500. No installation cost, just plug and play. It requires a little more set up and removal each time you start and stop, but it is not real difficult. It is a popular solution, very cost effective, and reliable. I keep it as a back up in the event something goes wrong with my existing system, or I have to switch out my toad for some reason and it does not have a auxiliary braking system.

Ted
Old 11-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #194

Monaco Owners Club
I was towing a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 but then we needed a car with us. We liked the Hyundai Elantra Gt 2013, but it couldn't be towed 4 down so I bought a 28ft enclosed car hauler and now I can take it and my golf cart and bikes etc. I am very happy with it and the way it tows without the use of WD bars.
Macktee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
2003 Saturn LW300 station wagon. 6 cylinder, automatic. Nice car and easy to tow behind my coach. Next time I will go with a used Saturn Vue or Honda CRV. Easier to get into and out of, as the wagon is a little low to the ground. But still works well for us. BTW, the car just turned over 50,000 miles, so I have a long way to go.

i just got a Saturn Vue 2006 stander i well be trying to setup as a towed
payed 2000$ for it off ebay nice nice driving little SUV so well see how that gos
Old 11-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #196

First time towing behind our Bounder. Using a Roadmaster Tracker towing a '99 Miata and other than getting dirtier than the dickens due to incessant rain for two days, seems to have survived the trek from Wa to Ca with no problems. Brakes on the MH worked great even without any brake assist for the 2300 lb Miata.

Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow