Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #225
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
I also tow a Prius, (1st Gen 2001 Prius), with an Acme Tow Dolly, (found one used once on CL for $900).

Other than having to get on my knees to put on the safety chains, it's great. I don't even know that there is anything behind the motorhome. No change in gas mileage. It's an incredibly light dolly that's easy to move by hand if I need to backup into my RV/camp site.
EZE-Tow here too...have towed everything from FWD SUV to a tiny Hyundai Accent 2 door. Love how the surge disk brakes auto adjust from loaded to unloaded with no adjustment.

We have a light hitch on the SUV to move the dolly any long distance if needed, but have only done that once - RV park required unloading the toad at the office. And because the site was a back-in, we unloaded and moved the dolly to the toad for the trip into the park.

For the safety chains...why not add a piece of chain and "D-Ring" to the car's hard point you use for the safety chain...just long enough to hang down for easy access. Then hook the safety chain to that chain - avoid getting on your knees.
Chain and D-Rings are cheap at Wal*Mart or home improvement stores.

Safe travels to all

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #226
Entegra Owners Club
Smile Chevy Truck

I tow a 2014 Chevy Silverado - and I love having a truck! My wife's four-wheeler fits in the bed when we travel, along with my Yamaha 450 on a rack on the back. Or I put our kayaks on racks on the top, my dirt bike (the 450) on the back for a pick-up vehicle, or our mountain bikes on the back. I like the Air Force active braking system a lot (put on by eTrailer in Wentzville, MO). I'd buy another truck from Chevy if and when I wear this one out.

daveboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #227
New trailer

I just purchased a 23' enclosed car hauler trailer to tow behind the motorhome. How many people tow this type of trailer? Anything I need to know, problems towing, problems parking it? What do you do with it when you get the rv park? Haven't hooked it up to the motorhome yet, still getting ready for it. Bought a Prodigy brake controller and need to install it, rewired the towing plug from 6 wire to 7, bought a hitch lock and four tie downs. Anything else I need? What kinds of things do you take with you? What modifications have you made to the trailer? Benches, shelf, tie downs etc? Last question, any issues hooking it up and towing it? I have noticed many people towing enclosed trailers with their motohomes, can't wait to join them.....
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #228
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
The only problem I see with the enclosed trailer is that some campgrounds will not let you park it on the site with your RV. I was just at a campground where ALL trailers had to be parked in one area - even tow dollies. Also, some sites may not be long enough to accommodate both RV and trailer. Be prepared for anything.
Barbara Spade
Jaymie (Sheltie/Pom) and Luke (Sheltie/mix)
35' Sea View (Class A) MH & Honda CR-V toad.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:07 PM   #229

Monaco Owners Club
'98 Chev Tracker, it's been behind 4 motorhomes. Racked up 214000 miles. Trouble free, light weight 4 dr (2486#) Still gets 30mpg, why replace with newer?
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:57 AM   #230
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow a 2014 Jeep Cherokee, I have towed a 2012 Jeep Liberty and a 2002 Jeep Liberty. All 4 X 4 and all tow very easy. There is no restriction on how many miles you can tow before having to disconnect and drive it either. If I had the money and could do it again I would have a DP and Ram 3500 4 X 4 which tows the same way. I would need the DP to pull the weight of the Ram
Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:50 AM   #231
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing 2014 Ford Focus Titanium

I just completed the installation of my towing package on my 2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback. I have the push-button start, Sync/Nav package.

Before I decided which route to take with my install, I read every thread I could find on the subject, including this one.

The Ford approved procedure for towing the Focus has you turn the car on and place the transmission in neutral. Then you turn the car off and disconnect the battery. That's necessary to keep any power from getting to transmission control module and engaging the transmission.

The Ford mandated battery disconnect procedure gets a lot of attention because the negative cable is difficult to access. Many on iRv2 came up with very elegant solutions to the battery disconnect requirement but I found most of them to be overly complex or not adequate to ensure no power is applied to the car. In the end, I decided to just disconnect the positive cable and stow it in the front of the battery box. It literally takes less than a minute to complete and I did not have to modify any of the vehicles wiring.

My coach has a seven wire tow connection, a Roadmaster Brakemaster system (used with the previous toad), and a Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain towbar.

I installed a Blue Ox base plate, a Blue Ox add-a-bulb kit, Roadmaster towbar to base plate adapters, the Roadmaster Brakemaster extra vehicle kit, and the Roadmaster Stop-Light kit. I also had to remove the Sterling safety cables and route new ones to connect to the Blue Ox base plate. When towing, I have no power applied to any circuit on the Focus. The motorhome provides a +12v signal to the stop light switch and I route that signal (+12v) back to the Brakemaster dash indicator light using the electric brake pin (rewired obviously) on the coach tow jack. The total install took me two days - approximately 9 hours each day. Getting the Blue Ox base plate installed is a long and arduous process but it fits nicely and looks good once installed.

I pulled the toad for the first time last week and the entire tow package works wonderfully. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford Focus Tow Setup.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	581.5 KB
ID:	83811  
Randy and Tina & pups; Cinnamon, Cookie & Coco
2010 Winnebago Journey 34Y
Freightliner / Cummins 340hp ISB, 2014 Ford Focus
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #232
Just purchased a used Readybrute Elite tow bar and Currie baseplate from a member in here.
This will be used with a '14 Wrangler JKU.

Very excited to have the additional freedom to now leave the site while hooked up. Although very nervous to be pulling an all but brand spanking new JEEP around corners and through traffic.

Did I mention it is my wife's JEEP?
2015 Thor ACE EVO30.1

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #233

Fleetwood Owners Club
We tow a 2014 Wrangler, works perfect and tracks right behind the MH. Don't even know it's there if not for the rear camera.
Brian & Nicola
2013 Discovery 40E "DISCO"
TOAD 2014 Wrangler
MiG & Xeena(German Shepards)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #234
2012 Chevy Malibu LTZ. Very easy to tow.
2003 Mandalay 40B, 340 Cat, 2012 Malibu LTZ
Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:06 AM   #235
Thor Owners Club
We tow a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4-door Unlimited. Simple to set up and take down.

I installed a Currie baseplate and the Cool Tech wiring harness in the Jeep myself, all in about an hour.
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #236

Tow a 2011 Ford Edge FWD 4 down. Just put in neutral, turn key off. Did learn to turn off all the automatic features tho!
Tom, Jan withn Papillons, Chance N Candy
'13 (60th annaversary) AMBASSADOR 40' DFT
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #237
We tow 2006 Ford Ranger 5 Speed. Now has 150, 000 Mi. Wt. is 2900#, 32 MPG. Wish they still made them. Have replaced the starter and 5 sets of tires.
Just West Of The Pecos
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #238
I got a Blue OX tow bar with my used 35QBA.
I have a F150 raptor that is to heavy to tow, and a ford Explorer AWD which you can't tow. So I think I am close to purchasing a 20' aluminum trailer (1450 lbs). I can put the explorer on it an be just over the 5000 pound rating, or my Goldwing and a UTV and the kayak and be under. I can also fit a MC or UTV and a small car (fiat is like 1800 pounds) on it. Seems that this offers the most flexibility.
The hangup in all of this is that none of the sate or US parks in the area allow use of ATV or UTV in the park.

Steeler34 is offline   Reply With Quote