Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #99

2007 Honda Crv

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #100

Clayobx, I wired my 08 Ford Edge so that the lights all work with power from the motorhome rather that the toad battery. I don't have any charging wires hooked up to the toad.
Steve

Old 10-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Any generation, Geo Tracker, Chevy Tracker, Suzuki Vitara because they get great gas mileage, 4x4 w/divorced transfer case which allows 4 down, transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, ignition key 1st notch to free steering wheel and off you go. Cost $3000-$15,000
I would tow one of these in a heartbeat if I didn't require the cargo space in my Subaru. The Subie was the next best thing for me. Cheap, easy to fix, cargo space, and pretty rugged.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #102

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
2007 Malibu Maxx, tow 4 down, blue ox alladin and base plate, separate lights installed in fixtures (running, brake, turn), switch installed instead of pulling fuse. Trouble free, tows like it is not there. Hook up, flip switch, put in neutral, go! Luxurious car, LTZ model.

Listed for sale in classifieds on here.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
Folks,

I tow a Dodge Ram 2014 1500 4X4 Laramie with Blue Ox Baseplate. It is a Crew Cab with a Cap on the 5 1/2 foot bed.

Tows great and allows me to carry a lot of other stuff.

JohnnyB
After towing four Jeeps -- two Liberties, a Wrangler, and a Grand Cherokee -- all great toads, we, similar to brunsje, now tow a 2014 Ram Hemi Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab with an Undercover LUX tonneau cover and bottom BedRug. We've used a Leer and an ARE cap in the past, but prefer the tonneau for ease (58 lbs and 2 minutes) of removal, rain tightness, and improved driver visibility. The pickup's safety, comfort, and utility/versatility are tops for us. The Ram is the simplest and easiest of all 2014 pickups to get tow ready -- neutral and key out. No counting to five, no battery disco, no charge wire, or no speed/time restrictions.

We gave the CR-V a test drive. Too much road noise, small uncomfortable cabin, and too much of a hassle to work around the small quickly discharged battery. It's a popular toad, but, for us there are a few better choices. And, a trailer or tow dolly are not among those choices for us. Life is hard enough without making it harder!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
Have not read this whole thread but we tow a Chevy Tahoe 4wd with no problems. Just disable the transmission on the dash, pull fuse which is very easy to access, place gear selector in park, and turn key to first stop. It takes us less than one minute. It is a little heavy at 6000 pounds but any diesel pusher can handle it. We like to drive on sandy beaches and sand dunes and our 88 pound Golden Retriever enjoys the space in the back. Motorhome magazine puts out a special report every year on all towable new vehicles. Mark
Old 10-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #105

We tow a 2011 Jeep Wrangler with Blue Ox tow bar and base plate and Invisibrake. Transfer case in neutral, shift lever in park and key out. No locking steering wheel on this model and some others. Quick and easy. I do miss my crew cab truck, but it was much to heavy for my coach imo.
jcullipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #106

2003 Chevy Tracker Zo2. Bought it new. Manual Transfer case, Automatic tranny. Tow four down, no issues in 11 years.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #107

I've read a few pages in this thread, although not all.
The one idea we never considered was a rental car.

We are not full-timers by any means. But do go on occasional weekend trips to OCMD in which it would nice to have a car to go into town.

It seems to me a rental car would be an easier and cheaper alternative to towing our Wrangler. $2000 for a Blue Ox kit would get us 50 daily rentals on an economy car.

Plus no inconvenience of pulling a toad.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I've read a few pages in this thread, although not all.
The one idea we never considered was a rental car.

We are not full-timers by any means. But do go on occasional weekend trips to OCMD in which it would nice to have a car to go into town.

It seems to me a rental car would be an easier and cheaper alternative to towing our Wrangler. $2000 for a Blue Ox kit would get us 50 daily rentals on an economy car.

Plus no inconvenience of pulling a toad.

How do you pick up the rental car? Most car rental places are at airports. I can not see trying to get the MH through airport traffic.

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #109

When my wife and I had no towed quite often we'd go to the park office and offer to pay someone to run us over to the airport rental agency or request a cab. After seeing the access usually we would drop the rental and I would pick her up while "looping" the airport if it looked easy while picking the car up. We are now setting up a towed but got by without for quite a while.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, #51334. C9 CAT
Old 10-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #110

Enterprise will come and pick you up, take you to their office and sign all the paperwork. When you return the car they will give you a ride back. No need to ask anyone.
Steve
Old 10-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #111
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2006 Escape FWD, Hybrid (CVT) on an EZE-Tow dolly.

While shopping for everything to flat tow we rented U-Haul dollys to get on the road. Discovered the CVT is not happy being towed unless you run the engine .
And we LOVE that car - 32MPG average with a SUV, so changing cars just to tow was off the table.

So, we saved the cutting on the front fascia for the baseplates, install of a wiring system for lights, and install of the remote/supplimental brake system in the car to matched the RoadMaster system in the RV...getting a very simple dolly with disc surge brakes

The Escape tows like a dream and we have loading and unloading down to a routine that takes just a few minutes.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #112

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
We have used Enterprise in the past several times when we towed our boat. They don't always pick you up, particularly if you are more than 10 miles away. Most large cities have car rental agencies and we have even rented cars from new and used car dealerships. Mark

Tags
tow