Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 07:33 AM   #211

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our toad is a '13 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. We have about 6,000 towing it. We have the Stealth brake controller installed it it and that allows us to keep the batteries charged when towing. It is quite simple to setup and is sure nice once in camp.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #212

Monaco Owners Club
jeep

I had a 2008 jeep liberty POJ so traded for a 2012 Liberty - tow 4 down easy - with 4 wd I just press a buttom to unlock transfer case and off we go.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #213

I towed a '99 Honda Accord. Never had any issues except one time after a turn the front wheels didn't straighten out as I pulled onto the interstate. Fortunately, it was raining and the wheels just skidded up the ramp for an 1/8th of a mile until I could tell something was wrong as I was not accelerating quickly enough.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #214

Towing a 2001 Saturn SC2 3 door. Easy hookup, easy tow.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #215

We tow a 2012 Explorer. Tows good and has a lot of room (for dogs) to travel in when we park MH.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #216

how do you turn the engine off in a 2011 jeep cherokee with a keyless fob when getting ready to tow, have followed manual instructions to get into neutral, but cannot get engine to stop, help
BobWebb
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:01 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWebb View Post
how do you turn the engine off in a 2011 jeep cherokee with a keyless fob when getting ready to tow, have followed manual instructions to get into neutral, but cannot get engine to stop, help
BobWebb
Procedure is as follows:

Place parking brake on (important!)

Remove the plastic start push button from the "ignition" (just pry it out with your finger or a key).

Place the key fob in the ignition (it works as a "key").

Turn the ignition to run, but DO NOT START the Jeep.

With foot on brake, shift to neutral.

Using a pen or other pointy object, depress the small button to the rear of the shifter, until the red light next to it blinks and then becomes solid.

Shift back to park.

The transfer case is now in neutral, and the Jeep is ready to tow. You can check this by releasing the parking brake. If you are on a hill, it will roll front or back. If not, you can try pushing it, and you will see it is in neutral.

At NO POINT should you have the vehicle running during this procedure.

Once you are hooked up to tow, make sure to RELEASE THE PARKING BREAK!

You can now lock the doors with the key fob. There will be no parasitic drain to the Jeep's battery.

Just reverse this procedure when disconnecting: put the parking brake on, turn key to run (don't start), place in neutral, depress small button, light flashes then turns off. Place in park, turn key to off, and you're ready to drive the Jeep! Don't forget the parking brake!
PDXDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago-Rider View Post
How do you pick up the rental car? Most car rental places are at airports. I can not see trying to get the MH through airport traffic.

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Enterprise will usually deliver them and pick 'em up when you're done. Plus you'll find Avis, Budget, Hertz, etc at locations away from airports. No doubt, it's an extra hassle to get a rental car but probably makes economic sense if you don't often have an extended need for a car.

I currently don't have a toad but am thinking about it - the convenience factor seems very attractive to me since I am taking more frequent and longer trips now.
195pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #219

A Lexus LX450, or for those that are Lexi challenged, its a nicely trimmed Toyota Land Cruiser. Last year of the solid front axle to be imported to the US with factory front, center and rear lockers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0334.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	83219  
Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #220

2002 Nissan Xtera Auto 2WD. Blueox towing and Driveshaft disconnect. Works Great
Wrenchch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:57 PM   #221

Country Coach Owners Club
Towing a 2015 Prius with an Acme Tow Dolly that cost me about $1,500 with shipping to the West coast. I went the tow dolly route because it seemed a cheaper route to go for towing (my buddy spent close to $4,000 getting his Jeep set up for flat towing with a special brake applier installed in his Jeep and with the tow bar and wiring) and I liked the idea of the tow dolly having surge disc brakes which doesn't require me to do anything to my motorhome or toad as to braking arrangements. Also, the Prius steering column doesn't lock so I don't have to make any special arrangements with the ignition key when towing.

Saying this, I realize I'm in a distinct minority as for every 15 motorhomes I see on the open road I see only one towing with a car dolly. Clearly flat towing is much more popular than using a tow dolly.

I'm on a 3 week trip between SoCal and Oregon and have had great success using the tow dolly and I don't think I would change anything if I had to make the decision again.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #222

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
Towing a 2015 Prius with an Acme Tow Dolly .....................a cheaper route to go for towing........the tow dolly having surge disc brakes which doesn't require me to do anything to my motorhome or toad as to braking arrangements. ...................I don't think I would change anything if I had to make the decision again.
Same reasons here Tim. I would never deny the Dolly can be a pain sometimes if you have to drop it at a site, but I put a hitch on the Toad to move it if needed. Also "big to me" no cost if I swap cars.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #223

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
Towing a 2015 Prius with an Acme Tow Dolly ......
I also tow a Prius, (1st Gen 2001 Prius), with an Acme Tow Dolly, (found one used once on CL for $900).

Other than having to get on my knees to put on the safety chains, it's great. I don't even know that there is anything behind the motorhome. No change in gas mileage. It's an incredibly light dolly that's easy to move by hand if I need to backup into my RV/camp site.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #224

08 Honda CRV FWD / Love it!
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow