Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

What fuses do I pull ???

Ok I just got finished getting my van ready to be towed 4 down. I installed the Remco pump and valve, the Blue Ox Base plate, I installed the US Gear brake system, and wired the lights to work off the motorhome lighting system. (Now I don't have any money to drive it anywhere (

Now I need to know what fuses I need to pull....or what I need to disconect to not rack up miles while pulling the van.

I have a 2012 Chysler Town and Country.

We are getting ready for a Memorial Day extended weekend checking out Crazy Horse, Mount Rushmore, and Devils Tower )

Thanks
Jim in Peoria IL

2004 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager
jimjc038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjc038 View Post
Ok I just got finished getting my van ready to be towed 4 down. I installed the Remco pump and valve, the Blue Ox Base plate, I installed the US Gear brake system, and wired the lights to work off the motorhome lighting system. (Now I don't have any money to drive it anywhere (

Now I need to know what fuses I need to pull....or what I need to disconect to not rack up miles while pulling the van.

I have a 2012 Chysler Town and Country.

We are getting ready for a Memorial Day extended weekend checking out Crazy Horse, Mount Rushmore, and Devils Tower )

Thanks
Jim in Peoria IL

2004 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager
Your ultimate authority will be either the dealer or the manufacturer. I'm sure you would want the steering to be on, so to speak, so the front wheels turn when your towing and the ignition switch position will determin this. Maybe one click clockwise but not in the run/start position. After determining what that position would be, then I would install a simple toggle or illuminated rocker switch to kill any electrical draws, if any, of the vehicle being towed. The dealer should be able to advise you if anything is on. I'm sure you checked but without the Remco setup, you vehicle should not be towed 4-down according to the owners manual. Possible warranty issues come to mind if any trans problems pop up.
Enjoy your trip. We were there last July, 2011 and had a great time.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry I don't know about the fuse, but I totally understand about the money!! Have fun and be safe.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

First question is whether you have a locking steering wheel or not. If yes, the ignition key/switch needs to be in the ACC position to unlock the steering wheel. If no, the key switch can remain off. In general the vehicle will not register any mileage if the key is off or in ACC, but you should verify that for your particular van.

If the key is in the ACC position to tow, keep an eye on the battery - late model vehicles are power hogs and it may go dead on a long day of towing. You might need to install a battery disconnect or a Toad-charge.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
......Now I need to know what fuses I need to pull....or what I need to disconect to not rack up miles while pulling the van.
None at all.
The positions of the key switch are
1 acc on
2 Key off (key can be removed, colunm locked if equipped)
3 Ignition OFF colunm unlocked (Key is locked in switch)
4 Ignition on
5 Starter engauged, Ignition on

use position 3 and No fuses at all need to be removed.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
When all else fails read the owners manual under "recreational towing"
Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsc View Post
When all else fails read the owners manual under "recreational towing"
Exactly. I hope the op didn't tow his vehicle without a Remco Pump, if available, as the owners manual says, on pg 519, not to tow 4 down.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote