Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What I feared most happening

happened yesterday while putting the toad on the KarKattySS my left foot got stuck under the break pedal while accelerating to get up and over the last hump and over the front of the KarKatty went the toad (99 deville) crushed the lower part of the bumper and bent the break line on the dolly and punctured it, just missing the oil pan and the radiator on the caddie. It took me, my partner and a neighbor 3 hours to jack it up (he just bought a new 3 ton floor jack) let the air out of the tires on the KarKatty and my F150 lower the car back on the Katkatty. So the toad is back in the garage and I have to go get the break line fixed.
Some days I wished I still worked.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
Never ever wish that you were still working. Think of all the excitement that you would miss. The good news is that Demco will send you parts if you need them, and the dolly is not hard to work on. I had a catastrophic tire failure at highway speed in the middle of Nowhere, Nevada. It took out the steel lined fender, and bent it back like it was overcooked spaghetti. Also ruined the wiring on that side, lighting, etc... The worst part of the ordeal was sitting on the narrow shoulder of the interstate, on a long downgrade, with 18 wheelers flying by, for 3 hours waiting for road service. I talked to a highway patrol, and asked him if he would sit in back of me with the lights on to slow the semis down a little. As he waved good-by, his words to me were " That wouldn't slow them down any".
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #3

My DW did this...now I do it.

No damage...engine landed on spare tire mounted on dolly tongue..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whoops.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	42120  
Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

OUCH!!!!
This is why mine is 4 wheel down. Honestly I do not trust those dolly, saw one moving from right to left behing the MH. Baring was not often greased probably...
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Owww as bad as this is I guess it coulda been worse. The car could have surged over the dolly and hit your MH. I hope the repairs are not costly.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurier View Post
OUCH!!!!
This is why mine is 4 wheel down. Honestly I do not trust those dolly, saw one moving from right to left behing the MH. Baring was not often greased probably...
Having just had my CRV lose a tow pin and take a path not traveled by my MH...I am not so quick to claim any high ground. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just want to send THANKS to Spritz and Dwhit for posting details of their "Ooops."

There seems to be a cultural resistence that prevents us from sharing our problems in public.
But, many can learn from other's mishaps - if they are shared...

So, THANKS! I know I will be even more careful when loading my dolly!
My Toad is a Hybrid Ford Escape with a composite oil pan. I highly doubt it would survive a hit like that.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Having just had my CRV lose a tow pin and take a path not traveled by my MH...I am not so quick to claim any high ground. LOL
Been there but was lucky (blessed). Left Richmond, Va to travel home (160 miles) with CRV in tow. After about 3 hrs of driving on interstate and other high speed primary roads, get call from DW's BIL saying he found this little lock gizmo laying in the street in front of his house (where we had been parked for 3 days). It was the key lock for one of my tow bar pins. I was only 3 miles from home and the tow bar was still firmly attached to the car (I had been checking the rear view cam) so we continued to the house. I guess the tension on the Blue Ox tow gear kept that pin from working its way out. I now double check my pins.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Been there but was lucky (blessed). Left Richmond, Va to travel home (160 miles) with CRV in tow. After about 3 hrs of driving on interstate and other high speed primary roads, get call from DW's BIL saying he found this little lock gizmo laying in the street in front of his house (where we had been parked for 3 days). It was the key lock for one of my tow bar pins. I was only 3 miles from home and the tow bar was still firmly attached to the car (I had been checking the rear view cam) so we continued to the house. I guess the tension on the Blue Ox tow gear kept that pin from working its way out. I now double check my pins.
Sounds similar to my event... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/loss-...ml#post1632491
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know with Caddy's you may not have this option,, ,then agai you might (Many GM cars do) But if you tow 4-down, you don't have a car katty.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I just want to send THANKS to Spritz and Dwhit for posting details of their "Ooops."

There seems to be a cultural resistence that prevents us from sharing our problems in public.
But, many can learn from other's mishaps - if they are shared...

So, THANKS! I know I will be even more careful when loading my dolly!
My Toad is a Hybrid Ford Escape with a composite oil pan. I highly doubt it would survive a hit like that.

Safe travels
Scarab0088, Your welcome I am not ashamed, I was surprised that it has happened to others. I am going to try it again, we are heading up North today and am taking the Toad (on the KarKatty) Got the break line fixed for a tune of $4.50 and the neighbor had the tool to bend it so I am ready to hit the road
Thanks, Have a nice day, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #12

What mistake would you like me to confess to? I've made most of them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #13

I have not made a mistake...since the last one.

There are those who make mistakes and those who don't admit their mistakes.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #14

Lynn Miller

Lots of folks shared experiences, but here is some advice that may prevent it from happening again. USE BOTH FEET when loading your car. One on the gas and the other gently riding the brake pedal. Your reflex time will be much shorter and you don't have to move a foot from the gas to the brake and risk getting it stuck under the brake. My wife used to scare the crap out of me with near misses until she became properly trained.

Safe travels (and loading).
Lynn Miller is offline   Reply With Quote