Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #1

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Can someone please explain to me why I need a break system for my toad ?? I have no idea about this stuff. Camping World quoted my husband for the tow bar and installation. They didn't mention needing an addition braking system...
</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #2

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Can someone please explain to me why I need a break system for my toad ?? I have no idea about this stuff. Camping World quoted my husband for the tow bar and installation. They didn't mention needing an addition braking system...
</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:53 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Brake Buddy and use it. You will be getting lots of recommendations for other systems.
Read this: http://rveducation101.com/Articles/DinghyBrakes.pdf

The hard answer is not in the "Why", but in the
"Which one".
Good Luck.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:36 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The BRAKE BUDDY is one of several good supplemental braking systems available.

As Rocky posted, a supplemental braking is a no brainer.

They are required by law in some places, reduce stopping distances, increase safety, reduce liability, and provide peace of mind.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:46 AM   #5

A brake buddy is a friend who rides along in the toad and applies the brakes for you when you need to stop quickly
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #6

Hey Pusherman, that was a good one,but seriously Darlin you should have toad brakes and there are many good ones to choose from.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:27 AM   #7

I totally agree. For safety reasons everyone should use some sort of auxiliary braking for their towed vehicle.

My 'brake buddy' is a Roadmaster Even Brake. Always ready to apply the brakes in the toad when needed!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Putting aside the legal issues of state law requiring an auxiliary brake system for a minute, I can tell you from experience after having a Blue Ox tow bracket tear the frame right off our Jeep Liberty leaving it free in rush hour interstate traffic, you you don't want to tow without the peace of mind an auxiliary system provides. Yes, particularly on rainy or icy roads, it does make braking much safer and easier keeping your toad from wanting to swap ends with your coach. But more than that, it provides that added insurance when Murphy's law shows its ugly side: In RV'ing if anything can go wrong it will, and the smart RV'er is always as well prepared as s/he can be to cope with those "insurmountable opportunities".... safe travels and happy RV'ing.

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #9

I can't think of a better reason to have brakes on your toad than that explained by JanBCarter this date. It's all about safety folks. This year we towed our toad (2001 Jeep Cherookee from Fl to Las Vegas and back including on ice and snow. We were very glad for the safety factor. I would suggest you do some research as to what type re: Finances;Easy to use; availability to take it from one vehicle to another. Also you might want to search certain publications that deal with RV's with the possibility of finding a used one if that became nececsary. In our case we found a good deal with Brake Buddy right from the manufacturer in Texas who was having a sale with no shipping/handling charges. Wish you many wonderful and safe miles.... bill
bill carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Brake Buddy as the sup system because it doesn't tie into your towed systems and we switch back and forth between our toweds.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We chose the US Gear Unified Brake because our Monaco was pre-wired for it and it works with our hydraulic braking system on the MH. We do not have air brakes or air suspension. We also wanted it solely in the Honda and won't be moving it to another vehicle. I like the way you can adjust the amount of braking and see if it working. It's good to know the emergency break-away feature is there.
<span class="ev_code_RED">11 more days...</span>
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #12

As I understand it, the brake buddy sits in the floorboard of your toad and pushes on the brake pedal when you brake your MH. My question is this, how effective would that be on a toad that has power brakes??? Normally when your engine is shut off on a power brake equipped car, pressing the brake pedal provides very little stopping power. Am I missing something here?
Jetjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
No, you're not missing anything.

The Brake Buddy, and several other systems are designed to work without power assist.

When hooking up the Brake Buddy to travel, one of the steps is to press the brake pedal several times to deplete the vacuum reservoir.

Take at look at the BRAKE BUDDY web site for more info.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote