Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2009, 06:05 AM   #1

In the Workhorse Chassis forum there was a comment about using an active braking system for the toad. I use a RM9700 "box" brake which I'm not crazy about. Other than the "box" brake systems, what choices are there for a gas motor motor home?
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've used the "BrakeMaster with break away system" for a couple of years and really like it compared to the box style that is a pain to install and remove.

RoadMaster Active System
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by RottenRalph:
I use a RM9700 "box" brake which I'm not crazy about. Other than the "box" brake systems, what choices are there for a gas motor motor home?
RR, I am using the SMI Stay-in-Play DUO which I bought from RVUpgrades.com. The DUO is ideally suited for use on gas powered motorhomes. SMI is a family business and they sponsor this forum.

The SMI DUO control head is installed under my hood and is out of sight and out of mind. The G-Force controller is mounted on the left side kick panel and I just leave the disconnect switch to "ON".

The system is ready when you plug in the umbilical cable into the back of the motorhome from your toad. The DUO is armed and ready to apply the brakes when you close the circuit as you step on the brake pedal. If you let off the brake the DUO will release the brakes immediately unlike box units.

The G-Force controller is proportional. The more inertia you generate the harder the brake pedal gets pushed. Now here's the best part. The DUO generates vacuum in the booster and the vacuum's exhaust is directed toward the brake application cylinder as pressure. The magic of this system is the cylinder and the manner in which it is attached to the firewall. See the picture in the graphic at the top of the page. Applying brakes naturally under pressure like a person normally would do with their foot, is done under vacuum in the booster - power brakes. The DUO uses the power brake feature of the car so the brakes are applies as they should be.

Unlike a US Gear the SMI only uses a 5 to 6 inch cable and no 90 degree transition to a unit under the seat.

The DUO is user installable, I did it! Check out the article I wrote: 2008 Saturn Vue XE - SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Installation
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another vote for the SMI Stay-in-Play Duo here. I replaced my brake box last year with the Stay-in-Play Duo, one of the best things I have done to the MH.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote