Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #1

We recently purchased a 2006 Travel Supreme 40DSO4 and I have a 2004 Honda CRV which I want to tow behind it. I have spent a lot of time reading the different posts here and there seeem to be a lot of popular tow options. So far the only conclusion I have come to is that I need braking for the tow vehicle and that proportional braking is probably the way to go. I will be looking at SMI units at the FMCA convention in Pamona.

I am at a loss beyond that. It is not clear to me what difference there is betweeen Blue OX and Roadmaster units and the various models. I am looking for recommendations from users with units and vehicles similar to mine. Since I have no tow equipment on either vehicle and limited knowledge I want to be as sure as possible that I get the best set-up value and don't over buy or get a system that won't be easy to use and meet my needs when I go full time in June 2008.

Thanks.........WALT
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #2

We recently purchased a 2006 Travel Supreme 40DSO4 and I have a 2004 Honda CRV which I want to tow behind it. I have spent a lot of time reading the different posts here and there seeem to be a lot of popular tow options. So far the only conclusion I have come to is that I need braking for the tow vehicle and that proportional braking is probably the way to go. I will be looking at SMI units at the FMCA convention in Pamona.

I am at a loss beyond that. It is not clear to me what difference there is betweeen Blue OX and Roadmaster units and the various models. I am looking for recommendations from users with units and vehicles similar to mine. Since I have no tow equipment on either vehicle and limited knowledge I want to be as sure as possible that I get the best set-up value and don't over buy or get a system that won't be easy to use and meet my needs when I go full time in June 2008.

Thanks.........WALT
Old 01-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will probably get many differing opinions on this question. I went with Blue Ox baseplate and the Aladdin tow bar. I like the fact that the base plate installation is almost invisible when the CRV is not being towed. I chose the Aladdin as it was the lightest weight tow bar available, 17 pounds if I remember correctly. I severely injured my left elbow 10 years ago and wanted a tow bar I could handle.

We bought the CRV new and they told me if I modified the brake system in any way, it would void the warranty. I use the Roadmaster Even Brake although I would prefer a permanently installed system.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:55 AM   #4
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
We bought the CRV new and they told me if I modified the brake system in any way, it would void the warranty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The way I understand it, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents a manufacturer from voiding your warranty simply because you have made an after-market modification. If there is a malfunction, they must prove it was caused by the modification. Also, a modification to the brake system (even if done improperly) would have no impact on the warranty on any other unrelated component.

That being said, if you are uncomfortable messing with your brake system or if you don't want to take a chance getting involved with a warranty issue (even though the law is on your side), there are a number of good brake systems that you can just sit in place. Another advantage is you can more easily swap these units from one vehicle to another. That is the reason I went with the Roadmaster Brake Pro (which provides proportional braking and which is the model prior to the Even Brake that wthomas1 uses). Disadvantages are that you have to find someplace to store them when not towing and they sometimes take a few more minutes to set up each time you want to tow.

Like wthomas1, I also went with Blue Ox because I thought the base plate was less visible when not in use.

There is no right or wrong answer to your question and no real "best" system. As wthomas1 said, you will likely get a lot of opinions. Weigh all the opinions and decide what is best for you. Best wishes on your decision.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wasn't clear before. They said the warranty would be void on the brakes, not the entire vehicle. I chose to avoid a possible future problem. Like paz said, the Even Brake works fine, having to "install and uninstall" it and storage are issues you need to consider.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a lot of good brake systems, its much like deciding which vehicle is the best. Some people like Fords, others Chyrsler, some want Honda, others Volvo, they all have relative advantages.

The perfect setup would be a toad that is towable 4 down (no need to store a dolly or trailer), a tow bar that is stored on the RV (easier to hook up and store), a brake system that will fit your toad and is compatible with your RV (electric, air, hydraulic), and a toad brake light system.

There is still a place for tow dollys and trailers for vehicles that cannot be towed 4 down.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Check my signature for my suggestions. I've had no problems in 8k miles in the past year.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Good comments and suggestions. Ours is in our signature. Make sure the hitch / towbar is rated for the weight you want to (can) tow. Work with a reputable installer, preferrably one who is recommended by the manufacturer. Check if they have a list of trained installers.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote