Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #1

What is the best braking system for a toad

I tow a PT cruiser with my 36' Bounder and it seems to me the RV has a hard time stopping when it should. If I ever needed to stop fast in an emergency, I am not sure I could. Thus, I would like to install a braking system in the PT cruiser. I would like the experts here to give me their opinions and experience with braking systems and which one might be the best for my situation. I am not really crazy about those big ones that have to be disconnected and moved before the tow vehicle can be used. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome, wingguy-

... and it's great you're considering a brake system to improve stopping distance and control. The people driving around you will appreciate your concern for them, too.

Have you looked through the list of threads on this forum yet? There are a number that pose a similar question to yours.

Mark

Old 09-20-2015, 01:33 AM   #3

I like my SMI Stay and Play. You will find that almost everybody, likes and will recommend the one they researched and purchased, lots of luck. JH
Old 09-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have only ever owned one auxiliary brake system, so don't know if it is the best or not. We chose the Patriot by BlueOx. We bought it because it was portable and could be moved from one toad to another, or to a new toad if/when we sell one.

It is pretty much plug-and-play; weighs about 10 pounds, I think. All you do is set it in position on the driver's floor, plug in the the "cigarette lighter" power connection, and push the setup button. Takes about three minutes including the time it takes to get it out of the trunk. Comes with a wireless controller/monitor for the dash in the motorhome. Easey Peasey.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BRK201...atriot+blue+ox

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll throw another one into the mix and that's the RVI2 brake. It's very compact, easy to set up and works great. It also has a dash monitor that shows braking plus lets you apply the toad brakes independently. Great customer service also.

http://www.rvibrake.com/RVi-Brake-Co...art-s/1855.htm
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I'll throw another one into the mix and that's the RVI2 brake. It's very compact, easy to set up and works great. It also has a dash monitor that shows braking plus lets you apply the toad brakes independently. Great customer service also.

RViBrake Comparison Chart for flat towing | Brakebuddy, Blue Ox Patriot, Delta Force

ditto
HRvindeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for asking. Please be sure to get some kind of system no matter whether you choose the ones recommended here or some other one.
We have the RVi2 system previously mentioned and love it. Easy to use and it does what it's supposed to when it is supposed to. And if you ever get a different toad you should easily be able to use it in that vehicle as well. Best of luck and safe travels.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
RViBrake2 with tire pressure sensors works good for me.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post

http://www.rvibrake.com/RVi-Brake-Co...art-s/1855.htm
Agreed! We are very happy with our new RVI2. And yes, their customer service is awesome!

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #10

Agree with all who said GET A TOAD BRAKING SYSTEM oops that is shouting and glad you are going that route.

I have had several braking systems. MG, Brake Master, Brake Buddy (was a real PITA for me) But now I have a Ready Brake. It is a very simple device to install and setup and works fine. Have it on two Toads I currently own. A Smart Car and a Malibu.

So you have lots of choices. The only one I really did not care for was "Brake Buddy". It also needed Toad power to activate it. Good luck and get that brake. You might even be running illegally in some jurisdictions without the Toad brakes but for certain you will be running safer with additional braking.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #11

I too have the Ready Brake system, works on the laws of physics. The weight of the toad pushes against the back of the motorhome and activates the brake. In light applications it is not activated only in moderate to heavy braking. We have used it for several years towing our Malibu with no problems, no air pumps etc.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I use Roadmasters invisabrake towing a 5500 lb F150. It does as advertised. I like it because all I need to do each time I hook up is connect the breakaway cable and the electric wire that attaches to the coach. I even made that easier by using an unused wire in my electric wire coil that is needed anyway and they all plug in with one plug.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
I too have the Ready Brake system, works on the laws of physics. The weight of the toad pushes against the back of the motorhome and activates the brake. In light applications it is not activated only in moderate to heavy braking. We have used it for several years towing our Malibu with no problems, no air pumps etc.
I also recommend the Ready Brake. Been running it for two years on a 2013 Edge. Works as advertised!

Tags
toad