Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We owned a Saturn VUE before a MH. After MH was purchased it was a pleasant surprise to find that it was towable 4 down. Also heard that VUE's were the "most towed" vehicles so started to take notice - It's got to be in the top 3 for sure. No paint on the front for rocks to ding (it's "plastic") which also makes it a lighter SUV. As to room, we lay the rear seats down and there's plenty of room for four 60 lb. dogs.

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not all Vues are towable. Can't remember what the demarcation was something about the V-6 or the 4cyl? Anyway make sure you check for sure if you are interested in the Vue.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are planning on towing 4 down then I like the newer Jeeps. We have towed the Wrangler and now are towing the Grand Cherokee. Jeeps are made to be towed 4 down. One of the few vehicles that eliminated the locking steering wheel. I use a Blue Ox braking system and a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. Installed them both myself. It was pretty easy and they provide great instructional video's.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Consider a 1999-2004 Chevy tracker. Tows very well 4 down, 2800 lbs for the 4WD. We like ours and they are not expensive. Roadmaster sells all the gear to tow it. Built in Canada (Suzuki platform). These years are safer than the earlier years, but the earlier ones are lighter.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #19

My vote is for a Jeep Wrangler. We have the four door version and love it. It tows very easily and we hardly even notice that it's back there. We have a Roadmaster all terrain II tow bar and use their Brakemaster supplemental braking system. We have towed our Jeep over 10,000 miles in the last year and not had a single problem.
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
A Honda CRV or Honda Fit would be good choices. Both are relatively light and can be towed 4 down with automatic transmissions. Should be plenty of used inventory out there to choose from if you don't want to buy a new one.
Any of the Fit's or CR-V's you find used will be almost as much as a new one. They just don't go down in value much and they are hard to find too.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh
Just came back from a 350 mile trip (short test run) with our new toad, 2012 Ford Focus with ReadyBrake tow bar and surge brake system. Focus 6 speed automatic tows for down in neutral with no modifications and weighs just 2900lbs. Our old 98 Chieftain Ford 6.8 V10 towed it effortlessly. Hatchback has plenty of room and is fun to drive. Its also roomy enough to take on long trips when not RVing.
Really. Tow charts show the Focus auto.cannot be towed flat. Looks like the charts need to be updated?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
We owned a Saturn VUE before a MH. After MH was purchased it was a pleasant surprise to find that it was towable 4 down. Also heard that VUE's were the "most towed" vehicles so started to take notice - It's got to be in the top 3 for sure. No paint on the front for rocks to ding (it's "plastic") which also makes it a lighter SUV. As to room, we lay the rear seats down and there's plenty of room for four 60 lb. dogs.
Hal, you just really nailed it down for me. I know if you and Ginny and your four kids can get in a VUE, I and my four can even though I'm big enough for two people....

I am seriously considering selling/trading my Outlook for something I can 1) be comfortable in 2) tow 3) won't make me feel bad about selling my Outlook 4) will be paid off with the sale or trade of the Outlook. Now that I have the MH, I don't need all this room to travel with the dogs in on long trips......
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We like our Honda Fit. Take a look at one you will be surprised at the inside space. Easy to tow.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #24
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Vesta Dave, It would be more helpful if you would provide the source of this towing chart you refer to,...Motorhome magazine, Remco towing, and MOST importantly, my owners manual clearly states this 6 speed automatic is towable 4 down..
Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
FMCA chart shows the Focus as towable either stick or auto. On the auto they say:
Quote:
On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, remove the negative (black) cable from the battery before towing. When finished towing,
start the engine within 15 minutes of reconnecting the battery cable
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #26
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mr D..that is correct..Not sure why the requirement to start engine within 15 minutes of re-attaching battery cable. Cant make any sense of that.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #27

I was looking at Motorhome mag's dinghy guide 2011 and perhaps a dated Ford guide. Looks like all Fords with auto can now be flat towed. Good to know.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wrangler is hard to beat.

Mike