Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

What is the latest info on Roadmaster Invisibrake?

I have read some forum posts from about March 2014 to June 2014 concerning user problems with the Roadmaster Invisibrake. The issues with the brake appear to be related to moisture problems with diodes and plus problems with moisture in the socket plugs. Given that it has been slightly more than a year since these issues were reported, has Roadmaster done anything to address the problems? I am thinking about getting an invisibrake installed. However, I am not interested in creating problems for myself. Any advice would be helpful.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had mine installed since before the issues were reported and have not had any problems with moisture. I have mine installed in the trunk. I think getting a good installer or doing it yourself is the most important.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Just had the invisi-brake installed on our 2001 vw bug. No problems what so ever while towing the vehicle. After unhooking the bug from the motorhome though, every time you hit the brake the invisi-brake comes on and cycles on making it impossible to drive. I unhooked the wire from the battery and since then no problems so far. Any idea what would cause the invisi-brake to be powered by the bugs system? I talked to Camping World where I had it installed and they have no idea without looking at it. Any advice from anyone who has had this problem would be appreciated.
dtucker3usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

I am not an expert here but do have about 1200 miles on our recent install. Our only problem has been the notorious dead battery issues on the CRV.

Since the Invisabrake is triggered by the brake light from the towing vehicle, it sounds to me that they miss - wired it and the bug brake lights are triggering the brake. We would never have that problem because they put separate bulbs in the tail light housing, keeping those circuits separate.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:16 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
So far so good with unhooking the wire from the battery. We drove the bug about 20 to 25 miles and the invisi-brake hasn't activated. I'm planning on returning to the shop that did the install when we get home and have them recheck the wiring. I agree, I think they have it wire wrong and the DW left the install instructions at home so I can't trouble shoot it myself. Hopefully no more problems with it. It did a fantastic job while hooked to the motorhome.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:52 AM   #6

dtucker3usa: You can get the manual and install instructions on line at Roadmaster. Regarding the battery issue, I was told by my installer that they can wire your plug from the MH so that the Toad battery is charged while driving but you must have your MH lights on. This is one of the features of the Invisibrake. This was done on mine and I have had no battery issues on the CRV. I also increased the size of the CRV battery to the next size up as mentioned on this forum.
I love Irv2.
Mike
cmb3231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
YC1

They have not resolved the problem to my satisfaction. I have removed mine.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:09 PM   #8

Works great on our 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Had it installed at Roadmaster Factory in Vancouver, WA. Great tech support. With the hidden brackets it is hard to tell it is a toad.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb3231 View Post
dtucker3usa: You can get the manual and install instructions on line at Roadmaster. Regarding the battery issue, I was told by my installer that they can wire your plug from the MH so that the Toad battery is charged while driving but you must have your MH lights on. This is one of the features of the Invisibrake. This was done on mine and I have had no battery issues on the CRV. I also increased the size of the CRV battery to the next size up as mentioned on this forum.
I love Irv2.
Mike
Shouldn't need to have the RV lights on to charge the battery. Although I can see why they might wire it that way. I wired a charge line in on the Dutch Star. Ran a 10GA wire from the shut off switch in the engine compartment through the main plug and to the battery in the towed. Did put a 30 amp resetting fuse at both ends though. Worked fine but both ends were hot all the time and probably why they want to have the lights on to charge. With the present rig the dealer wired the MH end in since they assured me it was already done and I found it wasn't. I'm glad I didn't do it as they used the wiring already in place with relays.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:31 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for the responses. We aren't having a problem with the towed battery charging when hooked up to the motorhome. The problem comes after we unhook it from the motorhome, when applying the bugs brakes from inside the car the invisibrake cycles on causing the bugs brakes to activate. The way my invisibrake is installed it charges the towed battery when hooked up to the motorhome.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #11
YC1

Measure the voltage on the connectors on the brake device. Do this with the headlights on and off, then have someone or prop the brake down and do the same test with the lights on and off. Those voltages will tell exactly what is going on.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker3usa View Post
Just had the invisi-brake installed on our 2001 vw bug. No problems what so ever while towing the vehicle. After unhooking the bug from the motorhome though, every time you hit the brake the invisi-brake comes on and cycles on making it impossible to drive. I unhooked the wire from the battery and since then no problems so far. Any idea what would cause the invisi-brake to be powered by the bugs system? I talked to Camping World where I had it installed and they have no idea without looking at it. Any advice from anyone who has had this problem would be appreciated.
dtucker3usa
Adding an ON/OFF switch in the 12V power wire to the Invisa-Brake will solve that problem.
Simply turn it ON before you tow your toad and OFF before you drive your toad.
(BTW even Camping World should be able to add a switch without screwing to much up).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #13
YC1

Masking or hiding a problem by unplugging it or installing a switch might be hazardous. My humble opinion of course. If the switch gets bumped on or left on and your brakes come on at 70mph are you or other drivers prepared for the emergency? It happened to me in a severe rain storm. It was almost impossible to power the vehicle to the side of the road. Had I not floored it I would have been stopped in the middle of the freeway in very dangerous weather. Thank goodness it was not my wife driving. She might not have realized what was going on and not powered through the emergency.

Tags
brake, test