Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What is the smallest/lightest Toad that I can tow 4-wheels down?

I'm thinking about getting Toad - but I want something that can be towed 4-wheels down (no dolly). Also must have automatic transmission so wife can drive it.

This is my wish list:
1) small and light weight (under 5,000 lbs, ideally)
2) automatic transmission
3) Air conditioning

**Nevermind - found this guide http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/dtg_2017.pdf *** sorry too late to delete this post.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Older Suzuki? New Ford Fiesta, 2,537 pounds.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chevy Sonic. 4 door sedan or hatchback. Auto or manual transmission. Under 3,000 lbs. Buy used, they depreciate fast!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #5

Hey MIke,
Not sure of your opinion on them but, there's quite a few that also tow "Smart" cars too. I used to see a few forum answers from a couple called "John and Angela" about their excursions with towing their Smart Cars. Yep, they had two of them and towed both of them, not at the same time. But, they had a trailer build for either one. It was a stout little trailer, just big enough for the Smart. When the Smart was unloaded, it was hooked to its own trailer so it could go hide the trailer while the motorhome was bing parked.

Both of their Smart cars were Canadian diesel versions. They both hovered around 75 miles per gallon, consistently. Now, they didn't have to trailer either one, they just did it 'cause they wanted to and, could back up if needed. Those two folks were the premier experts on Smarts for towing. Don't know if it was here or RV.net for them. Just a thought though.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Mike-

iRV2 user "radar" may be selling his SmartCar and trailer; post to a picture is here.

I was going to post this morning, but stopped because it's not a four-down answer. But, since Scott brought it up ...
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

My AWD Edge is 4-Down towable. Weighs about 4100 lbs.
GeorgeandTheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I towed a Fiat 500 w manual transmission, 2,400 pounds. Just put manual transmission in neutral, make sure parking brake is off, and go. Has no steering wheel lock, can tow with key out and car locked. Automatic transmission version not flat towable.

I now tow a Honda HRV 4 door hatchback, LX with 6 speed manual, 2,900 pounds. About the lightest that can seat 5 adults and carry some cargo behind the back seat. Has steering wheel lock so has to be towed with key in, with some battery drain. Can pull fuses or wire RV to Toad harness with a charge line. Automatic transmission version not flat towable.

Had / have Blue Ox Base Plates. Have a portable Blue Ox Brake Buddy (Patriot, current model is Patriot 2) as in my state (Kansas) you have to have brake assist in any item you tow that weighs 2,000 pounds or more.

Both with manual transmission are hard to find, as only about 2% of them being made have manual transmissions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #9

Mike-

You have a few more choices if you are willing to buy a used car. For instance, a Honda Fit with automatic, pre-2015, can be flat-towed. Published curb weights for a 2009, like ours, is 2,650 pounds or less.

I'm sure there are more listed in the older Motorhome Towing Guides.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey MIke,
Not sure of your opinion on them but, there's quite a few that also tow "Smart" cars too. I used to see a few forum answers from a couple called "John and Angela" about their excursions with towing their Smart Cars. Yep, they had two of them and towed both of them, not at the same time. But, they had a trailer build for either one. It was a stout little trailer, just big enough for the Smart. When the Smart was unloaded, it was hooked to its own trailer so it could go hide the trailer while the motorhome was bing parked.

Both of their Smart cars were Canadian diesel versions. They both hovered around 75 miles per gallon, consistently. Now, they didn't have to trailer either one, they just did it 'cause they wanted to and, could back up if needed. Those two folks were the premier experts on Smarts for towing. Don't know if it was here or RV.net for them. Just a thought though.
Scott
That would be us FIREUP. Good to see you are still hanging around as well. We have moved on from our diesels Smarts as we needed to get a 5 passenger vehicle for a couple reasons. We bought a Nissan Leaf. We still have a smart car but it is electric and we tow it on the same trailer. However any gas smart car can be towed four down and we seem them commonly. Around 2200 pounds. Fun to drive and they are an automatic...or better said...an automated manual. (No clutch pedal) Here is our set up for the last almost 4 years. We are switching to a Tesla in the next year or so but will cross that bridge when we get there.

We set the motorhome up with its own charge station. Convenient.

Good little car. We have racked up a ton of miles on it. Very fast and parkable anywhere. We'll keep it when we get the Tesla...at least until we retire, but we have a couple things planned where we will have some very long (read 1200 KM trips planned) and the smarty won't work for those situations. So we are thinking of trailerring the Tesla. Not sure yet. Time will tell.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #11

Honda Fit automatic up thru 2014. Great little car and mileage, but not much power. Can run 80 mph, but takes a little while to get there. Approx. 2700 lbs.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #12

You are not correct, please post that law for Kansas. It states at 20 mph you have to be able to stop in 40 feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I towed a Fiat 500 w manual transmission, 2,400 pounds. Just put manual transmission in neutral, make sure parking brake is off, and go. Has no steering wheel lock, can tow with key out and car locked. Automatic transmission version not flat towable.

I now tow a Honda HRV 4 door hatchback, LX with 6 speed manual, 2,900 pounds. About the lightest that can seat 5 adults and carry some cargo behind the back seat. Has steering wheel lock so has to be towed with key in, with some battery drain. Can pull fuses or wire RV to Toad harness with a charge line. Automatic transmission version not flat towable.

Had / have Blue Ox Base Plates. Have a portable Blue Ox Brake Buddy (Patriot, current model is Patriot 2) as in my state (Kansas) you have to have brake assist in any item you tow that weighs 2,000 pounds or more.

Both with manual transmission are hard to find, as only about 2% of them being made have manual transmissions.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Honda Civic. Auto trans, under 2500 lbs.

I used to tow one of these. It was a 2011 model. Later models with auto trans are not flat towable - not sure which year made the change. Weighs next to nothing, has auto trans. I think that's what the OP asked for.

I would still be towing it, but it was totaled in a wreck last year. Had to upgrade to a Honda CR-V - another light car (3400 lbs) with auto trans and easy to drive and tow.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 11-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #14

In fact Kansas allows double towing, and only then still only requires the second towed to have aux. Braking installed on the second or last towed trailer, not the first. So please enlighten me as where this DMV law is located, thanks...
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, toad, tow, test