Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post

Sorry, this is simply not true. Your vehicle is definitely subject to length, weight and height restrictions of any state you might travel through.

The only reciprocity recognized from your home state are your driver's license, legal vehicle registration and insurance.
Partially true and partially incorrect.

I believe that the reciprocity rule works on the entire Federal Interstate Highway system also known as the Dwight Eisenhower highway system.

However, state laws will prevail on ALL other highways within the state.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Partially true and partially incorrect.

I believe that the reciprocity rule works on the entire Federal Interstate Highway system also known as the Dwight Eisenhower highway system.

However, state laws will prevail on ALL other highways within the state.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
So you're saying there are states that do not recognize a driver's home state driver's license, legal vehicle registration and insurance when they're not on an interstate highway? Which states are those, and can you provide a link?

BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
These rules are not black and white...like CA has been mentioned, so here are 2 examples where the reciprocity issue is not simple:

AZ and NV vehicles can have window tint forward of the drivers seat, that is not OEM (prohibited for CA registered vehicles)...and can come to CA with no fear of an equipment ticket

BUT, do not cross the CA border while towing doubles (fifth wheel pulling a trailer) unless you have a Class A CDL (or equal) drivers license with endorsement...that's right...a CDL, even for a non-commercial set of vehicles. See the top lines here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm

65' is the norm max length for RV's in many states. Will someone get stopped for that? Probably not, but if you drive over the mountains on I-8 between Arizona and California, you could easily run into the commercial officers of the CHP, checking everyone coming back from the desert. This is because of all the guys running oversize or overweight. The CHP will stop you, measure you and require you to unhook an oversized trailer to proceed - and ticket you too. Then you have to find a truck to go back for the trailer. Yes, I have seen it happen.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Your vehicle is definitely subject to length, weight and height restrictions of any state you might travel through.

Not true on any of the Federal Interstate Highways. Federal law trumps state law.

The only reciprocity recognized from your home state are your driver's license, legal vehicle registration and insurance.

This is true.

Quote:

So you're saying there are states that do not recognize a driver's home state driver's license, legal vehicle registration and insurance when they're not on an interstate highway? Which states are those, and can you provide a link?
Sorry for not being more specific.

Clarified above.

And remember that commercial vehicle law does not pertain to RV's unless used for commercial purposes.

Example: A large bus type RV towing a long race car trailer with decals or paint all over the trailer could be considered a commercial rig and subject to stops at all weigh stations.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I noticed a few states with a 40' Motorhome limit. Kentucky, Mass., and DC

What happens in those states when people with 40+' are driving in them?

Can they be ticketed? That's scary me thinks....
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #20

I have checked with two separate sources at the CHP and both have said that if you are at legal length in your home state, Wyoming for example at 70 ft, you will not be ticketed while in California which has a 65 ft combo length law. The stickler is "while on the interstate system or within 2 miles of".
Old 09-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
The key to the length issue is what is legal in your home state. some states have longer limits and some have shorter limits. You are legal anywhere as long as your legal in your home state. for instance if your base plate is wyoming the length is 75ft. so your good to go to another state with a shorter length limit, except on specifically posted roads.

Ignorance of the laws is not an excuse. If your in an accident and your found to be over length, YOUR insurance company can refuse any claim you or what someone else makes against you and make you solely liable for all claims. Something to think about.
This is not true. You must comply with the state you are operating in for their length.

Also, insurance will not refuse to pay any claim, that is like saying if you were speeding, impaired or run a red light and have an accident they won't pay. Insurance may not pay if you provide false information in the underwriting of your account, but in my 31 year career I have never seen that happen nor know anyone that has happened to either.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
This is not true. You must comply with the state you are operating in for their length.

Also, insurance will not refuse to pay any claim, that is like saying if you were speeding, impaired or run a red light and have an accident they won't pay. Insurance may not pay if you provide false information in the underwriting of your account, but in my 31 year career I have never seen that happen nor know anyone that has happened to either.
No sir (Mod edit)
In my post just above (Mod edit) I did check with two different sources at the CHP and if you are legal in your home state at 70', you can travel to a state with a shorter length limit and not get a ticket, on the interstate system.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
No sir (Mod edit)
In my post just above (Mod edit) I did check with two different sources at the CHP and if you are legal in your home state at 70', you can travel to a state with a shorter length limit and not get a ticket, on the interstate system.
(Mod edit) I still stand by that you must comply with each State's law. CA may choose to ignore you if you have out of State plates, but that is not what their code says from what I have read.

Would you mind sharing your source or providing written documentation for the benefit of all of us who do tow trailers so we can provide it in the event we are stopped and challenged about over length?
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #24

PM sent jeryan59