Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok, I see all these brake choices, and, # 1 I cannot be putting a box in the drivers floor and pulling it out every time we want to take the toad, it's very hard for me. I also do not want ANYTHING that will have a chance of locking up and destroying my brakes, and I don't want anything that will require splicing into the wiring harness of my car, and risk frying the components on my car.

I want to hook up the toad, and drive, that's it. If I have to go without the toad brakes, so be it. I have a 2012 focus, it is a very light car.

The only alternative looks like the stay and play. Again, I do not want to fool around with the wiring harness.

Any suggestions?

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #44

Here is a link to my installation of an Unified Tow Brake. It makes your towed brakes work just like regular trailer brakes.

Only hook ups are the pigtail wire and break away cable, don't even have a switch to flip.

Installation of Unified Tow Brake (pic heavy)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=Davdeb1;1482390]Ok I don't want anything that will require splicing into the wiring harness of my car, and risk frying the component

Any suggestions?[/QUOT

I too was worried about frying my wiring, that was until I saw exactly what it consisted of. Basicly you have 2 wires that run to each tail light, just like a boat trailer. These wires are spliced into the tail lite using a diodes for each wire. The diodes has 2 terminals going in, the original power wire going in plus the wire that's from MH that you ran. Then only 1 wire coming out that goes to bulb. The diodes prevents power from either scource from going back up the other supply line. You will need lights and installed properly this should not be a problem. The brakes are up to you, just check the laws where you travel. You can get away with anything TILL there's a wreak then here come the lawyers.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #46

brake buddy

Ok, this is to the problem that I am having with the brake buddy,first it has a air pump that runs alot while you are towing to keep it pumped up to 40 pounds (where mine is set)Without the hookup to keep the battery charge that I use it kept running the btry down between stops.Fixed that and now the problem is at night when I am stopped,in the morning the car wont start,dead btry.I have disconected all power from the MH and also start the car and let it run before I go to bed,still have a dead btry in the morning.Is it possible that the company hooked something wrong?Btry has been checked out,good,.Have a 2010 ford taurus that I tow.Everything is shut down in the auto at night that I can.Cannot unhook the btry cable due to the other items that need power.So it looks like it may not be the BB.Any ideas?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTrail View Post
The Wrangler has a tow bumper installed with Blue Ox mounts. I'm leaning towards the Blue Ox Alpha and the M&G. I'm not wedded to anything but Blue Ox tabs.
What bumper is on the Wrangler?

Have you looked at the RVi brake? Developed by the man who invented the Brake Buddy. The unit has been miniaturized and given two way communications with WiFi. The latest version also has TPMS capabilities. The proportional braking of the RVi comes from the onboard accelerometer. One of the options I am considering.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
What bumper is on the Wrangler?

Have you looked at the RVi brake? Developed by the man who invented the Brake Buddy. The unit has been miniaturized and given two way communications with WiFi. The latest version also has TPMS capabilities. The proportional braking of the RVi comes from the onboard accelerometer. One of the options I am considering.
This system appears to be very new to the market and has yet to be proven. Sorry to be skeptical but I don't think I'm ready to trust my braking to an RF signal just yet.

This is the major thing I like about the M&G system. It's totally mechanical. There are no wires, no Wifi, nothing to have to install in the driver's foot well and calibrate every time you hook up, it's a proven system that works and it's reasonably priced. The only thing to hook up is the airline and the break away cable. That's it! It just doesn't get any simpler.

The M&G was my first choice because of the reasons stated above and the fact that it's compatible with my Jeep. My second choice would have been the SMI Air Force One had the M&G system not been compatible.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
This system appears to be very new to the market and has yet to be proven. Sorry to be skeptical but I don't think I'm ready to trust my braking to an RF signal just yet.

This is the major thing I like about the M&G system. It's totally mechanical. There are no wires, no Wifi, nothing to have to install in the driver's foot well and calibrate every time you hook up, it's a proven system that works and it's reasonably priced. The only thing to hook up is the airline and the break away cable. That's it! It just doesn't get any simpler.

The M&G was my first choice because of the reasons stated above and the fact that it's compatible with my Jeep. My second choice would have been the SMI Air Force One had the M&G system not been compatible.
Craig,

Sorry for your misunderstanding. It has been on the market for over a year and doesn't rely on an RF signal for braking. It is self contained and the WiFi is used only to communicate with the unit. A dash mounted LCD screen provides a braking graph to show exactly how your toad is working. Furthermore it allows you to adjust your level of braking while on the move. This isn't a new product it an advanced update by the original designer of the Brake Buddy.

Depending on what Class A I purchase I may go M & G as well. Not sure I want to alter anything on my 2013 Wrangler and the RVi unit gives me that option.

avid
Old 03-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #50

Alpine Owners Club
I cast a vote for ReadyBrake. It does not tap into or interfere with your electrical or air systems. It is easy to adjust and straight forward. Once installed, it is out of the way and will not interfere with normal driving.

Ive been using ReadyBrake for years and have had no problems at all.

Jeff
Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have used Rosdmasters Invsibrake for over two years. Works great! Once installed nothing to hook up just plug in and go. Also keeps the toad's battery topped off. Plus it is hidden under the front seat nothing at all in the floor board of the car.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Craig,

Sorry for your misunderstanding. It has been on the market for over a year and doesn't rely on an RF signal for braking. It is self contained and the WiFi is used only to communicate with the unit. A dash mounted LCD screen provides a braking graph to show exactly how your toad is working. Furthermore it allows you to adjust your level of braking while on the move. This isn't a new product it an advanced update by the original designer of the Brake Buddy.

Depending on what Class A I purchase I may go M & G as well. Not sure I want to alter anything on my 2013 Wrangler and the RVi unit gives me that option.
You're right. I did misunderstand. At first glance I believed that the brake controller was activated by a Wifi/RF signal.

I also had misgivings about modifying my Jeep to accept the M&G but after 9 months of dealing with a Brake Buddy that didn't fit the floor pan properly and the length of time devoted to installing and calibrating the stupid thing every time we hooked up, the minor modifications to the Jeep required by the M&G are nothing.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post

I also had misgivings about modifying my Jeep to accept the M&G but after 9 months of dealing with a Brake Buddy that didn't fit the floor pan properly and the length of time devoted to installing and calibrating the stupid thing every time we hooked up, the minor modifications to the Jeep required by the M&G are nothing.
I have concerns about how the Rvi brake will sit as well. Otherwise it seems dead simple. We are planning on trading up to a class A in the next months and that complicates our decision. If we end up driving cross country to make a deal we need to take the Wrangler with us.

avid
Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse1 View Post
I cast a vote for ReadyBrake. It does not tap into or interfere with your electrical or air systems. It is easy to adjust and straight forward. Once installed, it is out of the way and will not interfere with normal driving.

Ive been using ReadyBrake for years and have had no problems at all.

Jeff
Ditto. Sometimes when something just seems so simple it's easy to doubt. I too have used the Readybrake for years and the darn thing is dead on simple. Oh, did I mention; it costs a lot less too. The problem with the Readybrake is that there are no boxes to move, no air pumps to operate, no wires, no RF, ... It's just not sexy.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #55

If I'm not mistaken don't most auxiliary brake systems* work by either pushing or pulling on the brake pedal, using 12v current or inertia or a combination of the two? If that is the case, seems to me, the ReadyBrute would win in the KISS category.

*at least those you can use with a gasser
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have concerns about how the Rvi brake will sit as well. Otherwise it seems dead simple. We are planning on trading up to a class A in the next months and that complicates our decision. If we end up driving cross country to make a deal we need to take the Wrangler with us.
Sometimes planning this lifestyle can get very complicated. When we bought our coach we had to go half way across the country to do our deal too.

Tags
brakes, toad