Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
What bumper is on the Wrangler?

Have you looked at the RVi brake? Developed by the man who invented the Brake Buddy. The unit has been miniaturized and given two way communications with WiFi. The latest version also has TPMS capabilities. The proportional braking of the RVi comes from the onboard accelerometer. One of the options I am considering.
The bumper is made by LOD Off Road. I got the Armor Lite Mid-width. No hoops or winch mounts. I asked for the Blue OX tabs and Chris welded up a bracket with the tabs and a regular eye point on each bracket which are the parts that hold the bumper to the vehicle. I used the stock reinforcement tabs and longer grade 8 bolts and painted it black. Cost was $500 and some change. Install was about 45 mins, including minor modification of the foglights.

I hadn't looked the the RVi Brake but will in the morning. Thanks.
LostTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #58

Alpine Owners Club
One more benefit to the ReadyBrake is that there is ZERO installation to be done on your RV. You just insert the ReadyBrake device into your receiver and any tow vehicle can tow your towed. (given that it has the rated towing capacity)

The only real install is the simple cable that runs from your brake pedal to your towed's front bumper.

I'm with VestaDave, I think people are afraid of it because it is too simple. A cable that pulls your brake pedal toward the floor when your RV decelerates. Great concept.

Jeff
Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTrail View Post
The bumper is made by LOD Off Road. I got the Armor Lite Mid-width. No hoops or winch mounts. I asked for the Blue OX tabs and Chris welded up a bracket with the tabs and a regular eye point on each bracket which are the parts that hold the bumper to the vehicle. I used the stock reinforcement tabs and longer grade 8 bolts and painted it black. Cost was $500 and some change. Install was about 45 mins, including minor modification of the foglights.

I hadn't looked the the RVi Brake but will in the morning. Thanks.
Would you have a picture of the bumper and brackets. I talked with LoD about just welding on the BO tabs, but I like your idea even better. Did you end up skipping the other tabs that hold the clevis? Where did he position the lights?

My sticking point is the Mrs. at this point. She is not sure she will be happy if I remove the stock bumper.

Much appreciated!

Final question: Did you opt for the LoD skid plate to replace the cheesy plastic air dam?
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Go US Gear. The most simple hookup - 2 wires (one plug). Totally proportional and adjustable from within the coach as you are driving.

Yep, that's what we have and it's a no brainer to deal with. As a matter of fact we just dropped off our coach to have it set up in our new Tour. DH has to use hand controls in the car and rv so we liked the US Gear cause it does not interfer with the the other system.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #61

Decided to go with M&G. Thanks for all the good advice.

Here is a picture of my LOD bumper. As you can see the Blue Ox tabs and the standard tow points are very close. According to the owner, there was no choice on where the fog lights go and, as shown, they are rather close and covered by the license plate about 1/2 inch on both sides. And I did go with the LOD skid plate. I had to drill new holes for the part that mounts on the Jeep frame as the ones provided didn't line up with anything. LOD provided stainless cap bolts for the front. After reading quite a bit on this site and elsewhere, I opted for the grade 8 bolts everywhere. Maybe overkill but I feel better about it.

Next hurdle seems to be the brake lights. The 2012 and 2013 Wranglers have a bus system that Jeep advised not to cut into, including to use the brake and signals. So it seems that I either add lights or use an additional bulb. Still researching that.

Thanks again for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0847.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	34393   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0848.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	34394  

Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #62

Quote:

Next hurdle seems to be the brake lights. The 2012 and 2013 Wranglers have a bus system that Jeep advised not to cut into, including to use the brake and signals. So it seems that I either add lights or use an additional bulb. Still researching that.
Check out this Mopar part.

Your Jeep dealer can do the install.

Thanks for posting the pictures of your bumper. Maybe I can convince the Mrs. with your photos. Did you do the bumper install yourself?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #63

Quote:

Thanks for posting the pictures of your bumper. Maybe I can convince the Mrs. with your photos. Did you do the bumper install yourself?
I used the Trailer mate wiring for my 2012 Wrangler. TM781124 available from e-trailer. Plug in cables. Pricey but worked well for me. I cut off their 4 pin plug that connects to RV & used a 6 pin plug. The 6 pin plug also lets me charge Jeep battery while it is being towed. e-trailer has a video on installing trailer mate wiring on Wrangler.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #64

Quote:

Wow, who knew?! Thanks! Yes, I did the install; it was extremely easy. Took about 45 minutes not counting the painting. The hardest part was figuring out what to do with the old bumper!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
I used the Trailer mate wiring for my 2012 Wrangler. TM781124 available from e-trailer. Plug in cables. Pricey but worked well for me. I cut off their 4 pin plug that connects to RV & used a 6 pin plug. The 6 pin plug also lets me charge Jeep battery while it is being towed. e-trailer has a video on installing trailer mate wiring on Wrangler.
I ordered a Cool Tech Jeep specific wiring harness and then called the local dealer to set up the install. I was told it would invalidate my warranty for the electrical system and specifically the CANBUS and they wouldn't do it. I can't tell you how frustrating the new Jeep technology is. I've owned many jeeps over the years and never see the kinds of issues the CANBUS introduces and I've yet to see a true benefit to anything except Chrysler. A computer to run a light bulb? Off rant now.

The MOPAR part seems to be the ticket for me.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #66

Quote:

The MOPAR part seems to be the ticket for me.
Huge fail this AM. Took my '13 Wrangler in to have the Mopar part installed. They called about when they said the job would be complete. Instead of good news it was bad. The tech got my jeep prepared to install the harness and nothing was fitting properly. They started calling people at Mopar only to find out that the part doesn't work on the '12 or '13 Jeeps. The Mopar website and Jeeps part catalog have the wrong information. Nothing but a waste of time for me, but the dealer lost several hours of a tech's time over the failure. Sorry if I lead you astray as well. My plan is to go with wireless TM3N towmate.com lights and strap two pieces of metal on the rear bumper for the magnets to stick to.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #67

I have the 82211156AB part ordered for my 2013 Wrangler. Would you happen to know if that is the one your tech tried? Thanks.
ggrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #68

82211156ab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrf View Post
I have the 82211156AB part ordered for my 2013 Wrangler. Would you happen to know if that is the one your tech tried? Thanks.
That is the one that the tech couldn't fit. This caused them to call Mopar and after an hour of back and forth it was determined that the web page (and Chrysler's order book) are wrong. According to the mechanic the wiring harness does not work with the Pentastar engines. Everyone, the Service writer, the mechanic and me for floored. The service advisor was very apologetic. Sorry for leading anyone astray.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #69

Thanks for the info. I will move on to something else. Thanks.
ggrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrf View Post
Thanks for the info. I will move on to something else. Thanks.
Just to be clear: the part does not work for 2012-2013 Wranglers with the Pentastar engine. I would imagine the rest of the Mopar webpage is correct. Mopar says they are in the process of updating the page to remove the '12-'13 Wranglers from the list.

Tags
brakes, toad