Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
I'm sitting at the shop waiting on them to finish installing the M & G brakes and break away system on the MH and the toad. Going with Blue Ox tow bar and baseplates.

Now you can enjoy travelling without a bunch of work and worry.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post

I was concerned about the location the cable comes out of in the front of the vehicle. Being the front grill has to come off I was wondering if the cable would be in the way of installing the baseplate.
True, the cable brake connection comes out to the front of the tow car, but the grille need not be removed. In my installation the cable is attached to the baseplate and the grille is still on the car. It was necessary to cut a couple of openings in the grille to accommodate the towbar connect points. These cuts however would be required regardless of the type of towbar you choose to use. Honestly it doesn't look bad at all.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #87

Similar to DSBEAR, we had an M&G Engineering Braking System and Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar installed on our 2012 CRV by Independence RV in Winter Garden, Florida in October 2012. Plus a Toad Charge System was installed using one of the wires in the electrical cord to keep the battery charged without needing to pull any fuses. We have towed about 10,000 miles back to Alaska with good results. The braking system connection, one air hose with quick connects/disconnects on each end, is so quick and easy to connect and disconnect.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
My own personal preference is the M&G Engineering Braking System which involves insertion of the actuator between the master cylinder and the vacuum chamber plus a small air tank reservoir for the break-away system on your Jeep. A "T" fitting is spliced into one of the service air lines on the back axle of the coach and ran to back bumper. The only thing you do to hook it up is connect the air line between the coach and the Jeep, apply the service brakes for one minute to fill the break-away reservoir tank and away you go. No calibration (that was done during installation), no muss, no fuss.

I tried the Brake Buddy (another physical hydraulic type that attaches to the brake pedal of the Jeep) and hated it. Every time we hooked up the Jeep to tow it had to be calibrated and adjusted plus the power wires to the accessory outlet and power wires for the break-away switch. Not to mention that it doesn't fit the floor pan of the Jeep properly due to it's odd shape. It was just an all-around PIA.

This just my own opinion. I'm sure there will be others.

After several months of Winter time research I finally settled on the the M&G Engineering solution for our supplemental braking. The one aspect I wasn't too comfortable with was the added installation for our 2013 Jeep Wrangler. I am going to attempt to attach their instructions to this post.

I can say M&G were very helpful when I called with questions and they offered to speak with the installer if there were any questions at that time.

Installation is scheduled in a couple weeks. Together with: Blue OX Aventa LX and Base Plate / Roadmaster Universal Light Kit.

Would like to hear from anyone who has installed or had the M&G installed on a later model 2-door Jeep Wrangler with any tips for the modifications M&G requires.
Attached Files
File Type: doc M and G Wrangler2007-13 602.doc (188.5 KB, 22 views)
Blue Ox Aventa / M&G and AF One Braking
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #89

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Brakes

Installed Ready Brute Elite with a Blue Ox baseplate on our 2011 Jeep.
Did our first tow trip last week. System works great. Takes about 5-10 minutes to be ready to roll. Nothing in the Jeep to install or mess with. Less moving parts to break-down.
Love it!
tcopeland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #90

I also had a ReadyBrute Elite system installed to tow a new Fiat 500 recently. I've towed about 600 miles and so far it works great. I'm also using a Protect-A-Tow to keep the rocks off the front of the car. So far no dings that I can see. Both systems are easy to hook up and disconnect. I like the simplicity of the brake system. I'm a big believer in KISS and the other brake systems I looked at seemed to have multiple ways to fail.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post
I also had a ReadyBrute Elite system installed to tow a new Fiat 500 recently. I've towed about 600 miles and so far it works great. I'm also using a Protect-A-Tow to keep the rocks off the front of the car. So far no dings that I can see. Both systems are easy to hook up and disconnect. I like the simplicity of the brake system. I'm a big believer in KISS and the other brake systems I looked at seemed to have multiple ways to fail.
Simplicity is a beautiful thing.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #92

I had the M&G installed in our 2013 Wrangler by a local company that was on the list of M&G dealers. I did, however, purchase directly from M&G and avoid the sales tax associated with a local purchase. Overall it cost $600 to do the install between the Jeep and the Winnebago. I'm unimpressed in the way the brake reservoir is now slightly tilted. Basically six hours at the flat rate. I will take care of mounting the end point hookups because I don't like the options provided by the installer and Jeep.

This week I will convert the Jeep cable to a standard 5 round plug and mount both the air connection and the wiring on the side of the skid plate (I have an aftermarket bumper). Should be rather clean and I'll know the quality of the mounting points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3625Cape View Post
After several months of Winter time research I finally settled on the the M&G Engineering solution for our supplemental braking. The one aspect I wasn't too comfortable with was the added installation for our 2013 Jeep Wrangler. I am going to attempt to attach their instructions to this post.

I can say M&G were very helpful when I called with questions and they offered to speak with the installer if there were any questions at that time.

Installation is scheduled in a couple weeks. Together with: Blue OX Aventa LX and Base Plate / Roadmaster Universal Light Kit.

Would like to hear from anyone who has installed or had the M&G installed on a later model 2-door Jeep Wrangler with any tips for the modifications M&G requires.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTrail View Post
This week I will convert the Jeep cable to a standard 5 round plug and mount both the air connection and the wiring on the side of the skid plate (I have an aftermarket bumper).
Why convert the Jeep cable? You can buy Blue OX cables that go from 7 to four for sure and I'll bet five as well. Or there are also add-on convertor plugs.

I am going Towmate.com for my lights after the local Jeep dealer failed the harness install. Most likely going with the LoD Armor Lite bumper and RVibrake2. Need to get this done for a trip in May.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
Why convert the Jeep cable? You can buy Blue OX cables that go from 7 to four for sure and I'll bet five as well. Or there are also add-on convertor plugs.

I am going Towmate.com for my lights after the local Jeep dealer failed the harness install. Most likely going with the LoD Armor Lite bumper and RVibrake2. Need to get this done for a trip in May.
I had the OEM Jeep wiring harness installed. The end point is an OEM plug with five active wires and (I think) 4 empty ones. The other end is an RV 7 round. The Jeep solution is to use a zip tie to hold the cable to the bumper of the Jeep. So...I bought a 7-to-5 coiled cable and will convert the Jeep plug to a standard 5 round with a steel mounting bracket. Also, I want the M&G line to be protected by the bumper so it will get an "L" bracket and go inside the skid plate. I admit to being anal about how well these part are ultimately installed and I don't like the sloppy work thus far by folk I've paid. Since it's not their Jeep they don't seem to care where they drill a hole.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #95

LT,

Would you post a picture of your LoD Armor Lite for me. I talked with Chris, owner of LoD, yesterday about the location of the tow tabs and he said they are welded close to the D-ring tab. Chris doesn't have picture and I am having difficulty imaging what it will look like. The Mrs. is preferring LoD's signature mid-width so a picture would be worth a thousand words. Thanks!

avid
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #96

RVI brake system

Just finished 1500 mile trip using the RVI Brake system in a Honda CRV. Worked great, going to upgrade to the new RVI2 for $100 upgrade that has improved battery monitoring and tire pressure monitoring capability.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
LT,

Would you post a picture of your LoD Armor Lite for me. I talked with Chris, owner of LoD, yesterday about the location of the tow tabs and he said they are welded close to the D-ring tab. Chris doesn't have picture and I am having difficulty imaging what it will look like. The Mrs. is preferring LoD's signature mid-width so a picture would be worth a thousand words. Thanks!
This be it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0847.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	36190   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0848.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	36191  

Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #98

LT,

Thanks so very much! Just what I needed to see! Hoping to get my bumper ordered this week.

Are you going to use a Blue OX tow bar?

avid

Tags
brakes, toad