Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
LT,

Thanks so very much! Just what I needed to see! Hoping to get my bumper ordered this week.

Are you going to use a Blue OX tow bar?
Short answer is yes but...(and Chris at LOD will argue against this) the LOD comes with stainless button cap hardware. I replaced this with grade 8 bolts and washers and nuts. Chris thinks this is overkill but stainless is pretty soft and the button caps don't completely cover the holes in the plates. (I had visions of seeing my rig being drug down the freeway by safety cables!) The size of the grade 8 bolt heads required that I trim about 1/8" to 1/4" of the side of each lug of the tow bar nearest the bolt head to allow the the tow bar to move unrestricted. I used a file for this and it took about 15mins per side. If you use the provided hardware, you won't need to do this. One other thing about the stainless bolts was that once I got them tight, they seized up and I wound up cutting them off. I know nothing about bolts etc and why this happened but it was another reason why I feel better about replacing the stainless with grade 8.

My RV is in the shop getting the compressor installed but I'll take a picture of the whole mess this weekend and you will see where I trimmed the lugs.

The fit is tight for the pins and your safety cables too. The pins will only go in one way.

Oh, and the lead time was over five weeks for my bumper so just be aware.

I'm using the BO Alpha towbar and it's heavy. I might have gone with aluminum if I had done more research and still might down the road (no pun intended.)

I still think this was the right solution for me and the extra work/hardware was insurance that things I touched won't be flying off while driving down the road. Besides, it made my wife think I know what I'm doing so I earned a few spouse points.
LostTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTrail View Post

My RV is in the shop getting the compressor installed but I'll take a picture of the whole mess this weekend and you will see where I trimmed the lugs.

I still think this was the right solution for me and the extra work/hardware was insurance that things I touched won't be flying off while driving down the road. Besides, it made my wife think I know what I'm doing so I earned a few spouse points.
Thanks I would love more pictures. I completely understand not wanting one's Jeep wandering on its own. Ditto on on earning points with the Mrs. Mine is heavily involved with this project and besides safety she wants it to look good as well. Several weeks ago, after I was sold on the idea of LoD, she told me that the factory bumper was nice looking and she didn't want to remove it. Thankfully she is over that phase. I appreciate your assistance. Thanks!
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #101

M&G Engineering Brake System

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
I'm sitting at the shop waiting on them to finish installing the M & G brakes and break away system on the MH and the toad. Going with Blue Ox tow bar and baseplates.
Would you let us know how the install goes. I have the same config being installed in 2 weeks. Already received the M&G. It has so few parts - it worries me but, the cylinder is well fabricated.

We are installing on a 2013 Jeep 2-dr Sahara Wrangler. What is your toe vehicle?
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3625Cape View Post

Would you let us know how the install goes. I have the same config being installed in 2 weeks. Already received the M&G. It has so few parts - it worries me but, the cylinder is well fabricated.

We are installing on a 2013 Jeep 2-dr Sahara Wrangler. What is your toe vehicle?
The install went off without a hitch; however, it took about 8 hrs with two techs working diligently.

I've pulled the toad (1/2 ton crew cab Chevy) with no issues. It pulls great!!
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #103

This shows where I trimmed the inside edge of the Blue Ox lug to clear the grade 8 bolt.

On another note, I got the RV back from the installer (again) and the M&G is now correctly installed. I'll be finishing up the install today with the 7-to-6 cable plug and mounting the airline on the '13 Wrangler. I opted to do this myself given the lack of talent at the installer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0919.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	36668  
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
I vote M&G

When we bought our coach a few years ago the seller through in a Blue Ox tow bar. The base plate, and the jeep it was on, went to his ex in the divorce. I was shopping for 4 door Rubicon and found an '07, stick shift, 17K miles, with a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar, wiring already done, and Blue Ox "brake in a box" all for less money than anything else I had looked at.
Tried to use the brake and hated it. Too much trouble to hook up each time and couldn't keep it adjusted properly. It did lock with the brakes applied and burned them up. That was the end of that. Did some research, talked to my service manager (who I trust) and had the M&G system installed. My service guy suggested I take it from home in Denton Texas to the M&G home office in Athens Texas and have them install it, cheaper and guaranteed done right. Not the cheapest system, but in my opinion, the best. All proportional, very easy to hook up, works great. My model jeep has a locking steering column so I had my auto repair guy take that function out. Now don't have to leave the key on or worry about the column locking. I keep one tow bar locked in the receiver on the coach and move the other one between my pickup or Escalde to tow my CJ-7. Just my experience.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #105

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
ReadyBrake,works great.
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I keep looking at the ready brute elite system. I am estimating about 1500 in parts including the base plate. It almost looks too good to be true. The system is simple, if installed properly, very little can go wrong or wear out.

Am I missing something?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I keep looking at the ready brute elite system. I am estimating about 1500 in parts including the base plate. It almost looks too good to be true. The system is simple, if installed properly, very little can go wrong or wear out.

Am I missing something?
No, I don't think you are missing anything. The only downside I can think of is that the Toad brake cannot easily be transferred to another Toad. The systems low cost, flawless performance and simplicity trumps the downside IMO.
Most discussions here focus on the integrated brake but I've got to say the tow bar is terrific too.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTrail View Post
This shows where I trimmed the inside edge of the Blue Ox lug to clear the grade 8 bolt.
LT,

Thanks so much for the photo. Now I understand how they are welding the LoD Armor Lite bumpers with tow tabs. You don't think that any trimming would need to be done except for when using grade 8 bolts? I need to take some acton on the bumper issue. Really like the idea of the Armor Lite bumper.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #109

I'm still having issues with the local installers for my M&G. The compressor is still leaking and the power line was wired directly to the battery. I took it back to the shop and they fixed the power line but can't find the leak. When I got home, the small coiled air hose was missing from the rig. Of course, the shop knew nothing about it and more importantly, offered no solution knowing we are leaving in 48 hours. I figured out some work-arounds using air tool parts from a hardware store, but sent an email detailing my drama to M&G anyway. I also stated that this was not their fault but their "dealer" in Carson City was making them look bad.

This morning I called M&G to find out if I could get the replacement parts I needed overnighted. The gentleman took my order and asked who I was. After I told him, he said no charge for the parts. I'm still having a hard time with this...this was not M&G's doing and there was nothing they could have done to make the local "dealer" do a better job. But I also have to say, the courtesy is greatly appreciated. M&G came through for me when they didn't have to and that means a lot in my book. The parts should be here tomorrow and we'll make our departure time because M&G believes in customer service. It doesn't get better than this.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #110

Once more little treasure...I purchased a Road Master coiled 7-6 cable. Comes with a spiffy diagram on the package to show you the pinouts. After 4 hours of failed hookup to to my Mopar wiring harness, I took the Road Master cable apart. Anybody want to guess what wasn't wired as shown on the diagram? Take nothing for granted. I now have the attitude that I'm doing pre-combat checks on EVERYTHING!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #111

LT,

What was wired incorrectly the Roadmaster cable or Mopar harness? The ground wire was in the wrong place? Did you get the leak stopped on the M&G unit?

You need a break! Setting up a new toad isn't an easy process. Hope you have a great trip. Going out to break in your Jeep?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #112

Success! M&G shipped the coil hose and the terminal end of air line overnight and free of charge. Additionally, the part they sent was not the same as the original but a quick call confirmed it was indeed the correct part. Monty at M&G really came through for me and I can't say enough good things about M&G.

The attached photos show the end result on a 2013 Jeep Wrangler attached to a 2013 Winnebago Vista 26HE. The Road Master cable was wired incorrectly at the 7 pin plug end but this was sorted out. (Not previously mentioned was the cut-out for the brake-away; I cut a hole in the skid plate to recess the break-away switch. It's now protected and I think it looks better.) Also purchase a 90 degree spark plug boot to protect the air fitting when not in use. (Don't plug this hole or it will activate your brakes!) Last word of advice and I promise I'll shut up...if you do not do the M&G install yourself, really check out your installer before you commit. I didn't and paid the price, literally, for not doing my homework.

The only part not in the photo is the break-away cable, otherwise, it's all there and now that I have the process worked out, it takes about 10 minutes to set it all up. Thanks to everyone in the forum who helped with this!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC0922.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	36838   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0921.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	36839  

Name:	_DSC0924.jpg