Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
I found an older motor home with 300 HP Cummins and Allison 6-speed. Nice coach, and up to the task of easily towing my 14,000 lb trailer.
Paid about $24K for the coach and there a LOT of them out there.
My suggestion, get a coach with non-electronic 300 to 350 Cummins.
You can add or brace any hitch and make it plenty strong but the only way to keep the weight off the coach is to use a Trailer Toad weight bearing hitch. Nothing else comes close. Then all you have to be concerned with is having the power to pull the trailer and having enough brakes on the coach and trailer to stop it.

I also got a fuel pump plate and boost adjustment kit from TST and now I have about 375 HP at my disposal and if I keep my foot it and let the black smoke roll, 28-30 lbs of boost.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of drag racers doing what you want to do. Lengths are a concern but even the DOT enforcement officials aren't sure about the laws because of DOT exemption in section 390.3 (f) (3).

Any questions you can call or email us, glad to offer advise based on our experience of towing heavy trailers with motor homes since 1981. (Trust me the coaches back then were junk compared to what you can pick up used today.

Jok
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2434.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	54633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	54634  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:34 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
excuse me but I don't consider this junk. It pulls just fine, thank-you
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0883_1.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	994.7 KB
ID:	54681  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spitiz,
That was probably the wrong term to use but I had a 1977 Pace Arrow (literally the sidewalls let loose and fell out), 1983 Fleetwood, same wood walls that failed, 1989 Winnebago (one of the nicest quality coaches I have had, 1998 Georgie Boy..(terrible overall quality on the one I had), 2001 Georgie Boy Pusher, pretty nice but chased wiring issues for two years, 2005 Forest River Class C, flat-out the one coach I just drove and never had problems with, just not enough power to tow our 14,000 lb trailers, a 2008 Diesel Sports Coach, a nice coach but simply ended up being to expensive for us with the normal stuff that you have to do to the coach plus make the payments ....but... my latest and last coach is a 1995 Hawkins Motor Coach and the overall quality, wiring, copper plumbing, cabinets, latches, etc is FAR BETTER that the last three new motor homes we bought. I attached a photo of the interior of the ol Hawkins, we just put a new laminate floor in. I like projects and I guess this one fits the bill.

Didn't mean to make it personal, just that a lot of customers I deal with that haul race cars and trailers are getting 40' to 45" diesels and they are "top notch" from end to end. But then again, they should be for the investment involved.

Common sense goes a longs ways. I wasn't using too much of last several years ago. Now, with the economy "putting a lid of things, I am fine with shrinking the race budget.

Safe Travels,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2576.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	54769  
Old 01-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
None taken, Sounds like you have had a lot of bad luck. I keep telling myself that I am one lucky MH owner. I read so often others that are having this or that falling apart. I have had hardly anything break/fail (except 2 fuel filters) since I bought it 3 years ago. I have done alot of upgrades but they were something I wanted different.
Hope your luck changes,
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:25 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
A lot of it has to do with how we use it. Takes a tough coach to haul two race cars 20-30,000 miles in a race season. Lot of mechanical preventative maintenance and we basically NEVER get to plug in at a campground. 95%ofour camping is in the pit area with generators for power. Good example: the diesel Onan in my 20008 had 2800 hours on it in two race seasons and we still ran probably 100 tanks of fuel through our little Honda 2000 gennies as well.
Some coaches did not have the structure we required, mine and my racing friends problems with motor home bodies and frames is why we started building the Trailer Toad, to protect our motor homes when they are used as a tow vehicle.
I still have a "soft spot" for older coaches. That is why I really like my '95 Hawkins. No slides, no electronics, good solar charging system...BASIC and SIMPLE.

Maybe we will run into each other at a rest stop someday.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:28 AM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerToad1 View Post
A lot of it has to do with how we use it. Takes a tough coach to haul two race cars 20-30,000 miles in a race season. Lot of mechanical preventative maintenance and we basically NEVER get to plug in at a campground. 95%ofour camping is in the pit area with generators for power. Good example: the diesel Onan in my 20008 had 2800 hours on it in two race seasons and we still ran probably 100 tanks of fuel through our little Honda 2000 gennies as well.
Some coaches did not have the structure we required, mine and my racing friends problems with motor home bodies and frames is why we started building the Trailer Toad, to protect our motor homes when they are used as a tow vehicle.
I still have a "soft spot" for older coaches. That is why I really like my '95 Hawkins. No slides, no electronics, good solar charging system...BASIC and SIMPLE.

Maybe we will run into each other at a rest stop someday.
Jok,
Well said !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, towing