Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #1

I need help understanding all the parts and pieces needed to tow 4 down. I do not yet have a towable car, just wondering if I can start collecting the tow parts now?

Are there parts to go on the tow car? Are there parts I can buy now before I decide on a toad or do they need to be toad model specific?

Are these things owner installer friendly or should I go somewhere to have it installed and if so where do you buy this stuff and have it installed?

I have DP and find good reports on the AIr Force one brake system. Does this have parts that are installed in the toad? COuld I buy it now to get ready for the toad. Can you use multiple vehicles?

SOmetimes need to tow my mom's car, if it is easy to switch cars I might persuade her to buy a 4 down towable too! Currently rent a tow dolly for her minivan.

Thanks, I'm really clueless about how this works so dont be afraid to use simple language! looking at a Saturn Vue or Ford Escape.

Dog show home of Firesteel Gordon Setters.
Gsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #2

I need help understanding all the parts and pieces needed to tow 4 down. I do not yet have a towable car, just wondering if I can start collecting the tow parts now?

Are there parts to go on the tow car? Are there parts I can buy now before I decide on a toad or do they need to be toad model specific?

Are these things owner installer friendly or should I go somewhere to have it installed and if so where do you buy this stuff and have it installed?

I have DP and find good reports on the AIr Force one brake system. Does this have parts that are installed in the toad? COuld I buy it now to get ready for the toad. Can you use multiple vehicles?

SOmetimes need to tow my mom's car, if it is easy to switch cars I might persuade her to buy a 4 down towable too! Currently rent a tow dolly for her minivan.

Thanks, I'm really clueless about how this works so dont be afraid to use simple language! looking at a Saturn Vue or Ford Escape.

Dog show home of Firesteel Gordon Setters.
Gsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Read this article on towing, it answered many of my questions: http://www.towingworld.com/articles/towing101.htm

You need to decide if you want the tow bar to stay on the MH or stay on the Toad.

If you are using a tow bar that remains on the MH the mounting brackets for the Toad are vehicle specific. I had mine installed professionally as it involved removing the front sheet metal on my Honda CRV. I bought all of my tow stuff after I decided on the car I was going to be towing.

You will find arguments pro and con on the make and model of tow bar and braking system for the Toad. I read everything I could find and then made a hopefully informed decision.

Hope this helps.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The tow bar is independent of the toad but the base plates are specific to the year/make/model of toad and also to the brand of tow bar you use.

About the only type of tow brake that does not have any parts installed in the toad is the Brake Buddy and similar portable brake units. But some semi-permanent mounts like the Brakemaster have an inexpensive kit for a second car, so its easy to have additional cars set up for towing. You move the main working piece (a one minute job) and just have some tubing in place to make the connections.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #5

I tow a 2007 Honda CRV using a BlueOX towbar and base plate. My son and I installed the baseplate ourselves. Blue OX provides great instructions, you can read them in advance on their website to know what you are getting into. Installing the baseplate on the CRV was quite a bit of work and not for the faint of heart or the not mechanically inclined. The CRV tows great.

For a braking system I use the Roadmaster Brakemaster. It is an air cylinder that mounts in the car between the seat base and the brake pedal. If you go to the Roadmaster website you can see and learn all about it. None of the braking systems are cheap so it all boils down to what you like the best. The advantage of the Brake Buddy type is that they can be moved from vehicle to vehicle easily, not so with the air cylinder types.

Good luck, there are no easy decisions when it comes to getting set up to tow.

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote