Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #15

OK, the security of having new and not used won out, ExTow ordered tonight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #16

I have the ACME and just put the ramps in the trunk of the car, takes only a minute and keeps them out of the weather. I also have a hitch on the car so I can move the dolly if needed.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tow dolly will work great. I use one and will work with any front wheel drive. Dont have to worry about setting up ever car to tow 4down
Old 02-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #18

You've already made your decision on it, so good luck with your choice. You might want to reconsider that decision after your first hookup in the rain on dirt. Good luck with the dolly.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I have looked at the Master Tow unit and they are competitively priced. How is the steering plate to lubricate? Does it ever hang up?
Never need to lube the plate, it rides on special plastic, once in a great while I spray WD on the large bolt area in the center.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Demco KarKaddySS,
Love it, and it was cheaper than the 4 down system by a couple grand. Plus our toad is front wheel drive so 4 down was out.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #21

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I promise to those not so helpful that I will work on my Common Sense and I will get a raincoat. I didn't know it never rained when you hooked up a four wheel down toad. That's impressive!!!

Anyway, I should have it Monday. Safe travels to all!!!!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful comments. I promise to those not so helpful that I will work on my Common Sense and I will get a raincoat. I didn't know it never rained when you hooked up a four wheel down toad. That's impressive!!!

I can see myself a year or two from now trying to unremember all my comments about why I went with a tow dolly. But the bottom line is I'm not buying a new car just so I can go 4 down. I got an Acme Eze Tow and will be doing my first practice towing this weekend. Next week will be a 2-1/2 hour ride shakedown cruise to get ready for our trip to Nashville at the end of March. I'll be bit smarter on the whole thing by then, although for sure not an expert.

Why I like the Eze Tow

Relatively cheap, about $1800 new, dropped off to my house from the factory

Relatively light. I can horse it around single handedly over small curbs and obstacles.

Stores standing up in my garage. I can push it to the wall, stand it up on end and it hardly takes up any space.

I'll be towing my Nissan Murano, well within the weight capacity of the Eze Tow. It is a keyless FOB with a locking steering wheel, so I'll have to unlock the steering wheel and either pull the ignition fuse or disconnect the battery. You also have to get under the car and connect the safety chains that hold the vehicle to the trailer (the reasons for the comments about just wait till the first time you have to hook up in the rain or mud).

We watched a couple hook their CRV up to their coach using a Blue Ox 2 weeks ago. Might have taken them all of 5 or 10 minutes and they drove away. Tow dolly is another large piece of equipment you have to store, wrangle etc. But you already know that.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:14 PM   #23

Reportt on how the ex how works for you. I am supposed to receive mine Monday. First trip is the end of March to go see my son on Norfolk.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 PM   #24

Darn spell check. Ex how was supposed to be ez tow
Old 02-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #25

Quote:

When you're trying to throw the straps over those muddy wheels or bending way over to get to the frame anchors you'll know what I mean. Been there, done that, ain't ever going to do it again. Enjoy.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:42 AM   #26

I carry a bamboo mat to put on the ground to lay on. Rolls up to about 3" diameter and throw it into the rear basement with the strap wrench and lugnut socket wrench. Go to Wal Mart and pick up the trailer ball wrench (1-1/8" box end if I recall correctly) to tighten the straps.

I have hooked it up in the rain before, not pleasant but then again nothing would be. With the mat I didn't get dirty. Most of the time I try to plan ahead. If I know we are going to be leaving and the weather is going to get bad, I hook up ahead of time if possible.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Great response!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #28
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So...the EZE-Tow should have arrived by now. What have you experienced?

We have well over 10,000miles on our second hand EZE-Tow mfgt in early 2011and still love it. We put the ramps in a bin also to keep them safe and secure. The original straps are still in good shape. We were not going to buy a car just for RV trips and the Mrs' Hybrid SUV gets 32MPG all day, so the dolly was an easy choice.

There is no need to get dirty or get under the car for hook-up. Slide the straps on from the side and make it so the safety chains are easy to hook-up with an easy to reach hard point, or add a piece of chain and D-Ring to leave on the frame of the car.

We travel with couples who flat tow. Drop-off is quicker for us. Loading is about the same time. But there is one couple that does not have aux brakes...the dirty little secret of many who flat tow.

Be sure any steering lock is unlocked, check the straps after a couple turns after loading and anytime you stop. Otherwise, it's just so EZE.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote