Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #29

Trucking company was a bit of a challenge but finally got it offloaded last Friday, then headed for MI to visit friends. Just waiting for the snow to melt here with plans to hook it to my truck and tow a couple cars with it.

I will take the advice of you and others and put figure out how to mount a chain permanently to the towed car.

I will be heading to the storage unit to relocate the rear camera some time this weekend and will measure the receiver hgt to make sure I have a hitch that works for the required height.

First real trip will be 3/27 to Norfolk.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #30

OK, first stike. I tried loading our 2003 GrandAm and it is no joy.

The frame of the car hits the front angle about 6" short of being fully loaded.

I can move it forward but the oil sump is directly behind the frame member that is dragging and I fear it would damage the sump.

I measured the hitch height and it was at about 16.25" so i lowered the hitch one hole and tried it again with a hitch height of right at 14".

I am hoping the Odyssey will load better. Goal was to pull the GrnadAm vs the Odyssey because it is 1000 pounds lighter.

See picture if it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0603.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	88070  

Old 03-09-2015, 06:19 AM   #31
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

As we discussed in emails on Sunday, the angle is to steep. Lower the tongue until you have the necessary clearance. The Odyssey will have plenty of clearance underneath but only about half an inch on each side between the fenders. It will be difficult to load exactly centered.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #32

I should have time to try this again tonight by lowering the tongue a bit more. I think I have another 1" to 1.5" of drop left in my hitch.

I will let you know how it works out.

I noticed on some of the videos and pictures of earlier designs that the angle the car is hitting on did not originally go all the way across the EzTow. There are now three areas of slots for the ratchet device on each side. Since the GrandAm is hitting on the two inside slotted areas would it be a problem to notch the top down to the slot and create an added couple inches of clearance? Thoughts?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:57 AM   #33
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

What you are seeing in the previous gen pics is the winch track where it used to be welded on. Our design now punches slots into the angle iron thus reducing bulk, weight and stream lining the manufacturing process.
I think it will be fine if you decide to trim some material away.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:18 AM   #34

Mid Atlantic Campers
Sure, four down is the easiest to hookup but wait till you price out the whole deal! Using new parts, my brothers Chevy priced out at $3700 to install everything including toad lights and brakes. If your not going to install a brake system please stay away from me.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:46 AM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
OK, first stike. I tried loading our 2003 GrandAm and it is no joy.

The frame of the car hits the front angle about 6" short of being fully loaded.

I can move it forward but the oil sump is directly behind the frame member that is dragging and I fear it would damage the sump.

I measured the hitch height and it was at about 16.25" so i lowered the hitch one hole and tried it again with a hitch height of right at 14".

I am hoping the Odyssey will load better. Goal was to pull the GrnadAm vs the Odyssey because it is 1000 pounds lighter.

See picture if it worked.
What I did was to bolt a 2X4 across the front and one across the back of where the Toad tires fit. This cradles the tires helping to secure them in position. When I drive the Mini on the dolly it drops into position and creates additional clearance.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #36

I did work on the ez tow lastnight and by dropping the hitch to about 11" above the ground the Grand Am did go on. Clearance was good and hook up was pretty much uneventful.

I will say this for Acme and in particular Richard. My evening emails are usually responded to with in 10 to 15 minutes of sending them and sometimes even quicker.

I discussed with him that I am not totally comfortable with that low a hitch height and we discussed a modification to the ez tow that would allow me to raise the hitch back up to a 4" drop and still get the required clearance. He even offered to do it for me if I were in the area. That's good customer service in my book.

I will post some pictures later on today.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #37

Ok pictures.

#1 is the height of the hitch

#2 is the clearance of the frame at this setting

#3 is the safety chain I hooked up on the wrong side of the support

#4 is the strap installed and tightened, but not stowed

#5 is the proposed change I am working with Acme on.

Overall happy with it but still need to tow with it. I understand that nothing will work with every car out there. Very impressed with the support I am getting from Acme.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0610.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	88211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0605.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	88212  

Name:	IMAG0607.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	88213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0609.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	88214  

Old 03-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #38

opps last picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0611.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	88215  
Old 03-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Good information here as we are debating the same situation.
Tow dolly about $2000 or 4 down about $4000.
The 4 down is wired brakes on the car, blue ox.
But if we change cars we have about $1500 or more into a toad we have to do again.
Not a fan of the brake boxes.
We will most likely go 4 down, and just plan on keeping the toad.
But alas, we also must make a decision before May.
Thanks again for all who replied to the thread long before I got here, great ifo from both Dolly and 4 down.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:01 AM   #40

When I had dolly, my front drive wheels couldn't get up the ramps very well in the rain. I almost drove it over the front edge. Did try to improve traction of ramps with little luck. Think it was master tow.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #41

The ramps on the EZ Tow have a very aggressive tread pattern. If you managed to spin a tire on these you would likey leave a half inch of rubber on the ramp. Once you climb the initial strap up onto the ramp the car will almost idle up the ramp. Very easy to load