Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
What Say Ye about tow dolly?

OK, not wanting to start a feud over 4wheel down and dolly towing. I am going with a tow dolly.

Really like the Demco Car Kaddy with all the bells and whistles, Found one locally, 2010 model with hydraulic surge, tilt bed, folding tongue, only about 800 miles on it but it looks like it has been stored out side. It is in good shape but has a small spot or two of rust where the galvanizing didn't take well. Asking $2400, but I wouldn't pay more than $2000. I would probably buy new straps to be safe.

I also like the EZ Tow and can get a brand new one shipped to the house for about $1900 or so.

I like not having to unlock my steering with the Car Kaddy and it just looks more sturdy.

If it were you?
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
OK, not wanting to start a feud over 4wheel down and dolly towing. I am going with a tow dolly.

Really like the Demco Car Kaddy with all the bells and whistles, Found one locally, 2010 model with hydraulic surge, tilt bed, folding tongue, only about 800 miles on it but it looks like it has been stored out side. It is in good shape but has a small spot or two of rust where the galvanizing didn't take well. Asking $2400, but I wouldn't pay more than $2000. I would probably buy new straps to be safe.

I also like the EZ Tow and can get a brand new one shipped to the house for about $1900 or so.

I like not having to unlock my steering with the Car Kaddy and it just looks more sturdy.

If it were you?
If it were me, and it is, I'd tow four down. I've done it both ways and would never, ever use a tow dolly again. Way to much work and a total pain in the butt compared to towing four down. It's just common sense. If you have a toad that can be towed four down, it's the only way to go. If you don't, you'll have to accept a compromise and use a dolly or a trailer. If you are buying a car and want to use it with your motorhome, buy one that can be towed four down.
Simple, no debate necessary. Just plain common sense.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
This comment is JFYI. We tow 4 down and you said you wanted to use a dolly. If for some reason you decide against that idea make darn sure your vehicle can be towed 4-down. We bought a new 2012 Ford Fusion. The OM says that it can be towed 4-down. The reality is it can't. Ford started out saying that it could and if we did they would warranty the transmission at least once. That would leave us stranded wherever and whenever the transmission decided to break. If we were 1,000 miles from home the DW would have to drive the Fusion home while I drove the MH. That is after it was fixed.

Remco is one of the biggest suppliers of tow stuff. If a vehicle is listed on their sight as 4-down then they know.

TeJay
Old 02-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on our second Kar Kaddy and have had good service with them.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:06 AM   #5

The Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly

Another option for a locking steering column. Instead of disconnecting the battery try this:

1) Insert key into ignition

2) Turn key to ON position

3) Turn key to OFF position

4) DONOT remove key from ignition

5) Move steering wheel back and forth

Steering wheel should remain unlocked as long as key remains in ignition. When key is removed steering wheel will then lock when moved.

Nearly ALL Asian imports and most domestic vehicles built since 2009 have operated this way.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #6

The cost to outfit a car to tow 4down can cost as much as a dolly. The dolly allows someone to tow different cars. No toad brakes to worry about and no altering your car. A dolly with surge brakes can be used universally with any MH, truck, or toad. THIS makes a whole lot of common sense to me.

With that said four down towing is a lot neater once you are set up for it, but you can really only tow the car that you set up for it.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tim myers,
Please check you PM inbox here on iRV2.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm curious, how old is your car that you have a locking steering wheel? I pull both a 2003 Grand Caravan and a 2013 Chrysler 200 (not at the same time ) on an EZE-Tow and neither of those have locking steering wheels. I've never pulled a Kar Kaddy, or any dolly other than the EZE-Tow, but I've seen them up close. I can assure you the EZE-Tow is more sturdy than the Kar Kaddy. The EZE-Tow is 100% welded. I'm not sure about the 2010 model Kar Kaddy but you might want to check to see if it's assembled with nuts & bolts or fully welded, as the current models are now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought a Master Tow Dolly, we are at least the 3rd owners of it, and except for needing new tires, it has not given us any problems. Master Tow Dollys are tough and reliable, if ours is any example of what can be expected from them. We have put 3000 miles on it so far and not a hint of problems with it. BTW, we paid $700 for the dolly.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #10

Does it use ST tires? If so and regardless of the miles on it, the tires are five or more years old and you might want to consider using that fact to bring the used price down. I wouldn't give more than $2,000, either, unless you've done a nationwide search and know the average resale value is higher.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elexwiz View Post
I'm curious, how old is your car that you have a locking steering wheel? I pull both a 2003 Grand Caravan and a 2013 Chrysler 200 (not at the same time ) on an EZE-Tow and neither of those have locking steering wheels. I've never pulled a Kar Kaddy, or any dolly other than the EZE-Tow, but I've seen them up close. I can assure you the EZE-Tow is more sturdy than the Kar Kaddy. The EZE-Tow is 100% welded. I'm not sure about the 2010 model Kar Kaddy but you might want to check to see if it's assembled with nuts & bolts or fully welded, as the current models are now.
We have a 2009 Odyssey and a 2003 Grand Am that we are wanting to tow. The Odyssey weighs in at about 4500# and the Grand Am at 3100#, to the Grand AM is the best bet there. I have confirmed that the steering wheel does release if I turn the key to the first stop. This position also doesn't turn anything on best I can tell. I haven't checked out the Grand Am yet but I am hoping the floor shifter and ignition in the dash means it doesn't lock at all.

We have a 99 CRV that could be towed four wheels down but the attachments needed to make the car towable would cost more than the car is worth which is why we are going with he dolly for now.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Does it use ST tires? If so and regardless of the miles on it, the tires are five or more years old and you might want to consider using that fact to bring the used price down. I wouldn't give more than $2,000, either, unless you've done a nationwide search and know the average resale value is higher.
That's a great point Ralphie.

I really like the idea of brand new with the EZ Tow, and I have only heard a couple people that didn't like it, but then i haven't heard any complaints about the Kar Kaddy.

One of the things I really like about the Kar Kaddy is the way the ramps tilt for loading and latch in place. No crawling around to pick up and re-store the ramps.

Of course you still have to safety chain the vehicle so I will be on my knees anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Decisions decisions.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
We bought a Master Tow Dolly, we are at least the 3rd owners of it, and except for needing new tires, it has not given us any problems. Master Tow Dollys are tough and reliable, if ours is any example of what can be expected from them. We have put 3000 miles on it so far and not a hint of problems with it. BTW, we paid $700 for the dolly.
I have looked at the Master Tow unit and they are competitively priced. How is the steering plate to lubricate? Does it ever hang up?
Old 02-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #14

The only other thing to watch is the wiring. If it's internal to the tubes mice love to get in and chew the wires...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote