Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Roadmaster tow bar and brackets with Roadmaster Brakemaster, I have used Roadmaster for over 20 yrs on over 10 different toads, good customer service.

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #44

I just bought a Fiat 500 to replace a Hyundai. I use Roadster setup and base plate took me 3 hrs to install. How do you connect the Brake Buddy to the pedal? The jaws on mine won't open far enough to connect. Thanks

Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Interesting ronjhall the Ready Brute Elite is NON BINDING which is great. My Blue Ox has to be "straight" behind the MH in most cases to easily remove the pins from the toad. deSanford

Have connected and disconnected my Blue ox at some rather steep angles.. Of course I know how to do it..

IF you can not release EITHER side.. Turn steering wheels on towed both ways.

Try again.. If you can release ONE side.. Do so, sometimes I need to put the towed in either Drive or Reverse to releive tension on one arm. Just put it in, let the tranny engage, then return to neutral, then park.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #46

I didn't install mine but I believe the dealer got the adapter that mounts to the arm, if you will, of the brake system...what the pedal is mounted to from Brake Buddy. Call their customer service or Google it. In the meantime I will look to see if I have a better description.
OTR Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
We have used the Blue Ox tow bar and Air Force One brake system for 35k miles since 10/11. We have had no problems; lock up, plug in, and check lights and locks and go. Very reliable and the brake air line only requires pluging in, no adjustment required. When storing only the locks, cables, air line, and cables for the lights need to be stored. When disconnecting we have also used the turning of the steering wheel form one side to the other with no problems.

Traveled on roads form Florida to Alaska and California to Quebec, Canada.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #48

Just took delivery of our 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth. Really is so much better than our Miata. Could not get into the miata because of a leg brace. This is the first purchase toward our coach sometime in Jan. Be sure you buy the 5 speed manual and the bigger engine. Good luck. Like to know what you buy for towing gear. Ben
Old 09-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #49
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I use the ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake, and a Roadmaster XL baseplate on the toad. I love it! I believe it's the lowest cost system out there, the towbars are rated at 8000 lbs., and the braking system is simple yet effective. Works for me!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #50

We had a Miata 2002 MX5 SE titanium color. My wife had issues in and so it was sold with 4000 mi in 2010. Bought the MH and then the Fiat Sport. Found afterwards that a special brake connection is needed but available and there are three base plates. Standard for the 90hp, a different one for the 130hp Sport single turbo model and another one for the 160hp twin turbo Abarth model. The brake actuation is from a cylinder in the Brake Buddy. There is a clevis on the end of the cylinder shaft that attaches to the the vehicles brake peddle arm on the backside, above the peddle itself. A pin connects the two with a cotter pin. Also, on the Fiats the ACC 12v socket is only on when the ignition is so another dedicated socket was installed. Dealer put it just to the right of the diagnostic plug by the hood release. Can be a knee knocker so I plan on moving it. Had I known this, I would just change the wiring to the existing socket.
OTR Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #51

Blue Ox tow bar, blue ox base plate, RVI brake, tow daddy light wire. towing 06 hummer H3. No problems
Old 09-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #52

Being new to the whole thing ourselves, we made an appt out in lovely Pender, Nebraska (a thriving metropolis) and had Blue Ox do the whole thing. They asked what I wanted and I said, "attach tab A in slot B" - we're coming as two vehicles and want to leave as one." They did a GREAT job, we stayed in their factory campground, their install on our Caddy was perfect, and the price was reasonable. That's the way I'd do it.

Didn't you always want to see Nebraska?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #53

Brockx,

We inherited a tow dolly and plan to buy a good small, used toad. We know we'll need a front wheel drive. Being new to towing, our question is, once it is mounted and strapped, do we put the toad in neutral or does that become a non-issue since the drive wheels are on the dolly? Thanks,

Butch and Peggy
Old 09-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTR Again View Post
I didn't install mine but I believe the dealer got the adapter that mounts to the arm, if you will, of the brake system...what the pedal is mounted to from Brake Buddy. Call their customer service or Google it. In the meantime I will look to see if I have a better description.
I called Brake buddy and they supplied a new clevis unit free of charge. Even sent it express. Thanks for the info and kudos to Brake Buddy
Old 09-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you John (WA8YXM) Will do as you suggest next time my Blue Ox is in a bind. 73, deSanford W6YY
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #56

Fiat 500L with a true six speed stick/manual can be towed four down. We are going to get one in the sprin g2015.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

Tags
toad, tow