Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
What to tow??

We're the happy new owners of a Phaeton 40QBH. Very happy with everything, and are preparing for longer trips. One item that we need to address is that of our towed vehicle. That vehicle is a Yukon XL Denali equiped with an AWD system. I spoke to the dealer today, and they indicated that this vehicle could not be towed four wheels down. After doing more research, I found that REMCO makes a pump to circulate transmission fluid. I did some searching and found out that I'm looking at a $3,200-$3,500 cost for a Blue Ox installation with pump, brackets, tow bar(s), lights, and installation!

Before I jump off the deep end with this, has anyone made similar modifications to a full size SUV? How towable are full size SUV's (Suburban, Yukon, Expeditions) with the 40' Phaeton (9L Cummins)? Because of family, dogs and gear we really don't want to downsize, but also don't want to miss out on the experience of others.

Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
The dealer is correct. I have a Denali XL, and I wouldn't do it. You could trade it on a 4wd Suburban(which is towable), or get one of the many SUVs that are towable 4 down without any modification.

TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:38 AM   #3

Check out Motorhomes Dingy Towing Guide. I list cars, trucks, and SUVs that are towable and what, if anything, needs to be done. I know there is at least one GMC full size SUV that is towable, I just done remember which one.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the same problem with our 2007 F150 King Ranch. It was not towable and we looked at a few transmission mods but were told (should contact a dealership to make sure) that any mod might void the warranty.
We bought a Phaeton 40QTH back in October and have been out a number of times without a tow vehicle. Gets pretty boring after a few days. The new Ford 150 4WD are towable, so we traded in the old one and bought a new one. 7 years old and only 70000 on it. But, the new one is great. We're smiling even if our wallet is not. We're at LazyDays in Seffner Florida today putting on the Blue Ox and Air Force Braking system.
According to a 2014 tow guide, the Yukon XL 1500 4WD is towable if equipped with a two speed automatic transfer case.
JerryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I towed 2 different Yukon XLs 4x4 with no problems. Transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, lock the door and go.

My MH had the 400HP ISL and on level ground, I barely knew it was there. However, I did slow climbing steep hills.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #6

Your dealer is correct. The 2014 and older Denalis are single speed AWD and do not have neutral in the transfer case and have no switch to select anything. You only options are a regular Yukon XL or Suburban WITH the 2 speed active transfer case option. The base transfer case does not have neutral either. Most SLT and LTZ trim levels have it.

The 2015 Denalis no longer have AWD and are towable 4 down because they have the 2 speed active transfer case and part time 4WD just like the older non denali trucks. Mine should be here any day.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We got our Denali modified, and all set up for 4 wheel down towing per our signature line below. Had a problem with battery discharge while towing, but solved that with a home made trickle charge line from the coach to the denali battery.

One remaining question. People have referenced putting their vehicle transfer case in neutral, the vehicle in park, and they are good to go. Don't you need to unlock the steering wheel? Not doing so, it seems the vehicle would be a mess in turns, and other tight situations where the front wheels need articulation while being towed. Am I missing something?
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Starting sometime around 2004, GM steering wheels no longer lock.

You are correct that the front wheels need to be able to turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcabby View Post
People have referenced putting their vehicle transfer case in neutral, the vehicle in park, and they are good to go. Don't you need to unlock the steering wheel? Not doing so, it seems the vehicle would be a mess in turns, and other tight situations where the front wheels need articulation while being towed. Am I missing something?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcabby View Post
We got our Denali modified, and all set up for 4 wheel down towing per our signature line below. Had a problem with battery discharge while towing, but solved that with a home made trickle charge line from the coach to the denali battery.

One remaining question. People have referenced putting their vehicle transfer case in neutral, the vehicle in park, and they are good to go. Don't you need to unlock the steering wheel? Not doing so, it seems the vehicle would be a mess in turns, and other tight situations where the front wheels need articulation while being towed. Am I missing something?
We tow the Silverado 1500 4x4 with two speed transfer and neutral. I wondered about that too. The manual, page 10-90, clearly states put in park and pull out the key. I watch in the camera and the front wheels turn left and right as needed???!

We have the ISC 350 and it tows very smoothly it has cost ~.5-.7 MPG. FWIW
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said Remco makes the pump (True) but did you run your vehicle through their tool to see if the pump would do it? With AWD there is the transmission, the transfer case and possibly some other devices that all need lubrication and the pump may not be enough to do the job.

So did you run it through the REMCO tool?

I tow a 2001 NEON with a lube pump, but it's a Front Wheel Drive only.

I would recommend a different towed.