Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyeram1 View Post
I'm a single woman with a 2016 View. I've looked at Motorhome magazine dingy guide, but don't know what to get. It must be easy...also friend found the fiat too light to tow. Would consider a truck. Manual train is no problem.
Check out this blog this lady is towing a tracker.

Winnie Views: My Toad

Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #16

I tow a 2003 Dodge Dakota 4x4.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #17

A friend enjoyed a smart car towed by a View they named Maggie. Very much fun and they now very much miss both.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #18

I tow a Honda Fit (manual trans) with no problems. Much better then having to keep unhooking the motorhome every time you need to run errands, etc. Also, less wear on the RV and much better fuel mileage.
Just remember you will have to install a tail light wiring kit as well as a radio kill switch on most toads so that you don't drain the battery when towing.

Mark
Old 01-25-2016, 06:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbo53 View Post
I tow a Honda Fit (manual trans) with no problems.

Also, less wear on the RV and much better fuel mileage.

Mark

You must take very short trips if you believe pulling a 2,500 pound toad is less wear and uses less fuel on the M/H than driving the coach a bit more.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #20

Murf2u,
Let me explain what I meant. When I said "less wear on the RV" I mean by leaving the RV parked at the campground instead unhooking and driving it around all day sightseeing, you are not putting any wear on the RV. Use the car for this instead.

By "better fuel mileage" I meant you get better fuel mileage using your car for sightseeing rather then the RV, which you can leave parked and hooked up at the campground.

I can see what I wrote earlier could be misleading.

Mark.....
Old 01-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #21

Mark,

I understand what you're saying, but if you do the math, you might find you are actually burning more fuel, not less.

For big round numbers, let's say you take a 500 mile trip, 1,000 miles round-trip, and the toad increases your fuel mileage by 2 mpg, 14 mpg instead of 16 mpg.

At 16 mpg you would use 62.5 gal. of fuel.

At 14 mpg you would use 71.4 gal. of fuel, 8.9 gal. more.

If your toad gets 30 mpg that 8.9 gal. is 267 miles.

So in the above example, unless you did more than 267 miles of 'running around' you would be using more fuel pulling a toad.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbo53 View Post
I tow a Honda Fit (manual trans) with no problems. Much better then having to keep unhooking the motorhome every time you need to run errands, etc. Also, less wear on the RV and much better fuel mileage.
Just remember you will have to install a tail light wiring kit as well as a radio kill switch on most toads so that you don't drain the battery when towing.

Mark
I also tow a Fit but it is an Automatic transmission. I tow it all four down with no problems.
Bill
Old 02-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Mark,

I understand what you're saying, but if you do the math, you might find you are actually burning more fuel, not less.

For big round numbers, let's say you take a 500 mile trip, 1,000 miles round-trip, and the toad increases your fuel mileage by 2 mpg, 14 mpg instead of 16 mpg.

At 16 mpg you would use 62.5 gal. of fuel.

At 14 mpg you would use 71.4 gal. of fuel, 8.9 gal. more.

If your toad gets 30 mpg that 8.9 gal. is 267 miles.

So in the above example, unless you did more than 267 miles of 'running around' you would be using more fuel pulling a toad.
That may be, but I think you're missing a few things. First, the OP is a single woman, so a smaller "nimbler" MH may not be for the purpose of not needing a toad, it may be for the simple purpose of not needing a huge RV to camp in.

Second, I'm not sure that a 2500# toad will make 2mpg difference (my class C gets 7.5mpg by itself, 6.5mpg towing a 4000# enclosed trailer, only a 1mpg difference). So now you've just cut your running around number in half.

Third, wear and tear on an RV (even a small one) IS significant in contrast to a small car.

Fourth, even a small class C is much more difficult to use as a "run around" vehicle than a toad, and can't go thru drive thrus, park in small parking lots, go under low trees or into parking garages, etc.

Finally (and this is huge, IMO), once set up, why would anyone want to break camp every time they want to go somewhere, and leave their site completely empty (or leave their camping gear unattended)? I'm certainly not going to leave my BBQ grille, chairs, coolers, etc by themselves with no one around. If you do, please let me know when/where you're camping next; I need some new stuff . When I set up camp, I do it ONCE. Then I break down camp ONCE, at the end of the trip. It takes me much more time than 5 minutes to set up/break down camp. If you are doing it in 5 minutes, then you are obviously not camping at the location, but rather just parking. Do you even go outside?
Old 02-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyeram1 View Post
I'm a single woman with a 2016 View. I've looked at Motorhome magazine dingy guide, but don't know what to get. It must be easy...also friend found the fiat too light to tow. Would consider a truck. Manual train is no problem.
Congratulations on the WGO View. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on! We bought an original 2006 WGO View 23J back in '06 and put nearly 80K miles on it until we sold it last year to buy a WGO Vista 30 foot Class A.

We towed a 1993 Geo Tracker (~2700lbs) with a Roadmaster Falcon2 towbar. Most of the time, we never knew it was back there. My records show the View mileage dropped from 16.5 to 16 when towing and that was with big Goodrich off road tires on the Tracker.

We just bought a Jeep Liberty to tow behind the Vista so, if you plan to be near Phoenix, I'd be happy to sell you the complete set up including tow bar as a package deal. It's simple to hook and unhook. Both my wife and I do it by ourselves all the time. If you haven't bought a towed by summer, we'll be passing though Sacramento on our way north.

Whatever you decide to do, best wishes on your adventures.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #25

see my signature? it's a fit 4 down easy
Old 02-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #26

To Toad or not to Toad

We have a Itasca Navion and sometimes we tow a Jeep Wrangler (very basic, manual 2 door), sometimes we don't. Back in October we went through the Smoky Mountains for the fall colors, no tow vehicle needed since we moved around a lot. We're heading to Big Bend National Park soon and we're towing the Jeep in order to really see the park since a lot of the roads are not suitable for the RV. No right answer, do what makes sense.

BTW, the Jeep Wrangler is a great toad.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #27

While I am going through the same thing as I consider the purchase of a View, wish my wife could drive a manual as her Fiat 500 would have been great if not straddled with an automatic. Essentially, I would have to downgrade my daily driver car to something 4 wheel towable, or purchase a toad for minimal use. Given that scenario, if the toad is not going to be used as a daily driver - a rarely discussed option is rent. If it is 200 miles from home, two drivers from the start. Beyond 200 miles - pick up a rental within 50 miles of destination. Not pulling anything for the trip, no investment, upkeep, insurance and license for the toad, and choice of car class suitable to destination. That is very tempting. Solo driving could be an issue, but out would come my road bike where 50 miles or less is not an issue.

Tags
tow