Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Nobody has mentioned a Miata yet. We towed a 2002 Miata six-speed for three years until my wife fell in love with a 2005 PT Cruiser convertible which we towed on a dolly for five years. The PT is taking a rest (she will not part with it) and we are now towing a 2007 Wrangler 2-door. No more laying on the ground making tire strap and safety chain hookups.

All these cars are fun to drive in their own particular way. The Miata is probably the most fun per dollar of almost any vehicle out there.

DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #30

We tow a HHR, and I can't say it's the most 'FUN' toad, but it sure is practical, considering hauling the pooch with us everywhere we go.

I also have a Miata, but I've never set it up for towing behind the coach, because it won't fit the two of us and the pooch (dang). Otherwise, it would surely be the most fun toad on the face of the earth.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Okay I have to know...do you really tow the corvette and if other then a trailer - how?
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I drove a Mini Cooper and they are fun sports cars. It would be light to tow too, but I'm a diehard Jeep fan. I love being able to go anywhere I want to take pictures, hike, etc. So my next will be a Jeep Wrangler (my third one) and probably the Rubicon Unlimited. Grandma wants to be able to kidnap grandchildren and Grandpa wants to take them in the mountains...
Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
We leave the motorcycle at home for now, but wanted the wind in our hair, feel the temperature changes, and the smell the smells. We have pulled our PT GT convert for a bout 25K miles. It is by no means a sports car, but the HO turbo sure makes good power in the mountains. We removed the back seats when our GSD was still alive, and had plenty of room for her. It does weigh about 3500 lbs so it is not a lightweight like the Cooper...but it has more room.

Our next toad will be a Jeep Wrangler.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
We tow a HHR, and I can't say it's the most 'FUN' toad, but it sure is practical, considering hauling the pooch with us everywhere we go.

I also have a Miata, but I've never set it up for towing behind the coach, because it won't fit the two of us and the pooch (dang). Otherwise, it would surely be the most fun toad on the face of the earth.
Here's a PIC, and YES she has her seat belt on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bessie in Miata-Web.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2990  
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #35

Just took delievery of a '08 2dr. Wrangler w/3 piece hardtop Saturday, so I can't really say how much fun it will be. But if the drive from Tallahassee to Melbourne is any indication...it's gonna be a BLAST! Can't wait to get some mountain under it and get it in 4L!.

The PO had a base plate installed along with all the connections. Don't think I can use the air assist for aux. braking...have a '05 HR Vacationer w/hyd. brakes and I'm not sure of the brand of base plate (looks to have a wider stance for the tow bar than a Blue Ox I've seen).

But at any rate, I'm looking fwd to putting it through it's paces out West on fire roads, old logging roads and looking for ghost/mining towns...ANY thing off the beaten path (the scenic route!). Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Just took delievery of a '08 2dr. Wrangler w/3 piece hardtop Saturday, so I can't really say how much fun it will be. But if the drive from Tallahassee to Melbourne is any indication...it's gonna be a BLAST! Can't wait to get some mountain under it and get it in 4L!.

The PO had a base plate installed along with all the connections. Don't think I can use the air assist for aux. braking...have a '05 HR Vacationer w/hyd. brakes and I'm not sure of the brand of base plate (looks to have a wider stance for the tow bar than a Blue Ox I've seen).

But at any rate, I'm looking fwd to putting it through it's paces out West on fire roads, old logging roads and looking for ghost/minning towns...ANY thing off the beaten path (the senic route!). Bob
Congrats on the new Jeep Bob. I use the US Gear Unified tow brake on my Wrangler.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #37

I like our Trail Blazer. Room for me (6'3'), Easy to tow and has 4 wheel drive. Can go anywhere.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can't beat a Jeep Wrangler for the fun factor. Convertable when you want it, weatherproof with a good heater when you need it, tows 4 down, goes any where you have the guts to take it, and it just looks good.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Congrats on the new Jeep Bob. I use the US Gear Unified tow brake on my Wrangler.
Thanks, I'm really pleased with the Wrangler...my, how they've changed since the 70's. You're the third person that likes the Unified sys. for the Jeep, I need to learn more about it, so I'll hit their website. Thanks, Bob

Vegasdan, lol...I hear ya, I'm probably long on JEEP and short on GUTS!

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We love to tow our red 67 MG midget Hey there it is in the picture, but for a new car I would go for a Mini or Miata they can all be towed 4 down ,I like small cars but not the smart one.
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.. I've never owned one but one of the gearhead magazines (Car and Driver perhaps) does an annual "Bang for the Buck" contest.. In this contest people drive and rate several, usually sports cars, Some of 'em are very very nice cars.. Mustangs, Corvettes, and others in that class are often included.

So, who walks away with the best BANG (meaning fun to drive) for the buck.

JEEP of course. who else,, They are far and away the most FUN to drive

The other one I might like to own is a Bradley GT..

That's a cut down Volkswagen beetle with a new custom fiberglass body. Very cute.. it's a kit-car though.. You buy the beetle. and you buy the body, and you have to put 'em together.. This involves shortening the VW a bit.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #42

Fun Toad...Secma Q-Pod

How about this for a laugh. I purchased it last summer
Its a Q-Pod, built in France by Secma. She weighs in at 220kg. There is a 350 cc petrol air cooled engine. 86 mpg and holds a gallon of petrol. No gear box, it is belt driven.

Two seats, Handlebar direct steering and throttle. Foot operated brakes.
The doors and roof are removable. Plastic body panels and floor. A steel box section chassis. 50 mph feels like 100. Its crazy.

No A frame or dolly. All I do is slide a 2 inch square steel box section a meter long into a corresponding chassis section, held with pins, on the other end is a standard ball hitch. The front of the vehicle is lifted clear of the road surface and dropped onto the RV hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	q pod.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	3037