Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What toad was the most fun to drive?

So I retire in 73 days but whose counting? I've always lusted after a convertible but the day to day necessities of life interfered with having a "fun" car. Now that there will be time to spread out vacation a little, I'm also looking for that fun car that can also be towed. I've run the numbers and scoured the towing guides, however now I'd like to hear from you what your FAVORITE Toad is or has been and why. I'm looking for ideas!

Mark

bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sort of depends on what you want in a vehicle, doesn't it? We like an SUV, but others might want a sports car, an offroader (e.g. Jeep) or, in your case, a convertible.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with Gary, really depends on what you want/need. How much balance between 'fun' and 'function' do you desire?

Our most 'fun' toad was a 2002 Ford Focus SVT 3 door hatchback. The SVT was a sport version of the Focus. It had a 6 speed manual tranny, moonroof, special wheels/tires, more horsepower than it needed, and a very comfortable interior. Being a hatchback, you could fold the rear seats and put lot stuff in it. Plus it was light. Wish I had never sold it.

We switched to towing an Explorer and find it adequate and probably a bit more practical in terms of ability to carry stuff, 4wd if needed.

We also have a 2009 Focus 4 door sedan with a manual tranny so it is 4 down towable. It is a very comfortable, practical and fun car to drive. I plan to install a base plate and rig it for towing soon.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #4

I bought a 2010 Honda Fit (Sport) fun to drive, light to tow, lots of room for stuff.....Joe O.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #5

We like our 2007 HHR. It is light to tow, no special problem to two four-down, and a lot of fun to drive. It has plenty of room for storage of "stuff", and we can unfold the back two seats in case someone else is with us.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandirector View Post
So I retire in 73 days but whose counting? I've always lusted after a convertible but the day to day necessities of life interfered with having a "fun" car. Now that there will be time to spread out vacation a little, I'm also looking for that fun car that can also be towed. I've run the numbers and scoured the towing guides, however now I'd like to hear from you what your FAVORITE Toad is or has been and why. I'm looking for ideas!

Mark
Hi Mark,

I have always been too practical when it comes to the Toad, with having had 2 Saturn's, '97 SW-2 and now a '06 Vue. If you really want to have fun, consider a Mini Cooper S convertible. Now that will give you a "Ride" you will remember!

However, you will have to Dolly it as Blue Ox doesn't make a base plate for the convertible, only the hatchback's and they have to be a manual tranny but who would buy a Cooper S without stick anyway?

OMHO !

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Our favorite was probably the 2004 Suzuki XL7. It was big enough to seat 6 in a pinch, the seats folded down for hauling stuff, it was light enough to tow easily, & when we took it 4 wheeling it would go anywhere. I would have bought another one in a heartbeat but they stopped making them towable.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

We have a 2008 4 Dr Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD with the Hardtop. The panels over the driver and passenger seat are easily removed to give the convertible feel...the rear section can also be removed but is more of a problem. The 2Dr also has these panels
The 4 dr we have allows us to do off roading, although we do little, driving on the beach and so forth. Plenty of room when not used as a toad for the 3 grandkids and st.uff. We had a 2Dr Jeep Wrangler before which was great but did not have the removable panels and only enough room for 2 grandkids
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our favorite was probably a Jeep Liberty. Fairly roomy, plenty of power and good off road manners. Now that we are older we have a 2010 Honda Fit (Sport) and love it.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a Lincoln MKX (like a Ford Edge), it tows nicely 4 down and gives lots of room to carry extra "stuff" and still be able to take another couple with you for side trips.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My choice is a Mini Cooper S...

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
After dragging minivans for 10+ years, I love my diesel Grand Cherokee.

Easy to tow, peppy Mercedes diesel engine gets 22 MPG, and since its trail rated, I can leave the pavement behind.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have a 1993 Suzuki Sidekick. It is a fun little car! You can turn the front part of the convertible top back or completely remove the top for a real convertible. I have taken the whole top off only once and I couldn't get it back on by myself. Just putting it back a little works for me and has that "convertible feel". Mine is not a 4-wheel drive since I already had a 4-wheel drive Explorer. This little car tows great (Falcon2 tow bar). I fold the back seat down for more room to carry stuff.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #14

2008 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B, "bad boy", all the luxuries and the mechanicals that won Subaru 6 world rally championships the last 20
years, an absolute blast to drive!