Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Why do you say the 08 was a mistake?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #16

mrscharz, I think he was saying his 04 Vue had a 6 cylinder and the 08 Vue has a 4 cylinder. He doesn't like the 4 cylinder.
Wingman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #17

We have a 2008 Ford Edge 2wd... other than start the engine for a few minutes before towing and at rest and/or fuel stops... no other mods were needed... the Blue Ox AventaXL tow bar and SMI Stay-in-Play DUO braking are excellent...

Joe
jerzeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #18

I tow a Ford Focus 4 down -- no modifications needed at all. I know it is a smaller car but, serves us well -- only weighs 2400 lbs and you hardly know that it is back there.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I know thats 2oolbs over the maximum tow limit. I know its a bit big to tow behind my motorhome but do you see any problems doing it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please take note of Dirks' 4th sentence in his reply to you. That should answer your question.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I just weighed my friends 07 Ford F 150 crew cab and its weight was 5200lbs. I know thats 2oolbs over the maximum tow limit. I know its a bit big to tow behind my motorhome but do you see any problems doing it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, I wouldn't do it. Most important reason you already mentioned, "I have a family of five." Yes, you'll find some that will say go for it because there must be a safety factor built into the limits given. However from personal experience Look here and see what can happen. My MH is rated for 7000lbs, tow bar was rated for 6000lbs and my 07 Ford Sport Trac with a 1/2 tank of gas and no cargo weighs in at 4860lbs. Insurance adjuster had no problems with those figures but I'd bet he would have rejected my claim if I were "only" 200lbs over the MH or tow bar rating. Fortunately, in my case, there was very limited damage to MH and Toad but more importantly nobody was hurt.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue Ribbon:
Do NOT get the I4 Vue. It is a dog of a car. Way under powered and only has a 4 speed transmission married up to it. Sometimes it shifts down to 2nd on a moderate hill at 65 or 70 mph.

We had an '04 Vue with V6 and really loved it. It was totaled in a rear end, so moved to the '08. What a mistake! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Blue Ribbon, I can not share in your dislike for the 2008 I-4 Vue. I very much like the I-4 Vue. After almost 8,000 miles I am very accustomed to its non-dragster performance compared to my 04 V6 AWD and it's basically all I really expect from a vehicle.

My wife and I truly like the car and it works well for us. I can not recommend the Vue I-4 XE enough to my friends. It's a great little car but what it isn't is a hot rod.

In Spring 2009 there will be a two mode Hybrid powered by a V-6 which seems to be very interesting! Although I can indeed wait it'll be interesting taking that vehicle out for a test spin.

I recently took out an 09 Aura Hybrid and the engine stops while your foot is on the brake at a traffic light. All other systems operate normally using the on-board batteries.

Imagine the benefit of having a fleet of vehicles like that in congested urban areas.

One feature that I do like better than my 04 V6 Vue is the feel of the steering. I like it so much better on the 08 XE and this feature has been much improved.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #22

does anybody know what a Toyota 4 runner weigh?
steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to Motorhomemagazine.com. There is a list of years of different toads. Each one has a listing of weights for particular vehicles.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">does anybody know what a Toyota 4 runner weigh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
According to the Toyota website it has a curb weight of 4530 lbs.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #25

I read another post recommending a Jeep Cherokee and I second it. Last year made was 2001. I bought it because it can be towed 4 wheels down with the auto trans and only 3600 lbs. We like to venture off road at times and can go just about anywhere we please. I would definitely recommend an auxiliary brake system on any toad. I put my US Gear on myself. The instructions were excellent. Takes about 8 hours if your an old guy like me. The folks at US Gear are very helpful should you need it.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #26

Where on the Toyota web site did you find the weight listed? I looked but could not find it.
steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go to: Toyota 4Runner Specs Click on "Capacities" under "View" that is on the left hand side.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote