Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #1

What tow bar will we need to pull a 1997 niss pickup

Looks like we are getting a 2005 PA 37c, and we have a 1997 Nissian Pickup standard shift.
What are we going to need besides a tow bar?
Do we really need brake assist?
OR Can we pull it with Tow Dolly with out any problems?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #2

Moved???

Moved Were?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Most standards can be towed 4 wheels down by putting them in neutral and turning on the key if the steering wheel locks. Might have to pull a fuse or disconnect the battery so the dash lights don't drain it.

To tow 4 down you will need a baseplate, the part that is bolted to the truck. Some kind of wiring for the tail lights. Usually a diode kit, add on sockets or magnetic lights.

The overwhelming majority here will tell you that you do need a supplemental braking system. In many states brakes are required.

I suppose you could use a dolly and they can have their own brakes but you would still have to put the PU in neutral since it (I assume) is a rear wheel drive. Normally you see front wheel drives on a dolly.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

Of course, you will need the appropriate base plate for the Nissan. If this P/U is more than 1500 pounds (less or more in various States) you will be required to add a braking system to your toad. As for me, I would have brakes on whatever I tow just to avoid any possible legal ramifications in whatever State I happen to have an accident in.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #5

Falcon Roadmaster 5250 model

Will a Falcon Roadmaster tow bar made of stainless steel. 5250 model work?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Of course, you will need the appropriate base plate for the Nissan. If this P/U is more than 1500 pounds (less or more in various States) you will be required to add a braking system to your toad. As for me, I would have brakes on whatever I tow just to avoid any possible legal ramifications in whatever State I happen to have an accident in.
Not necessarily true!! In fact a lot of states don't have braking requirements for towing a motorized vehicle behind another motorized vehicle. Oregon, Washington and California are ones that I know of personally that might not require add'l brakes on a towed. HOWEVER, if you go through one of the states that does require supplemental brakes then you're in violation of the laws there as there is no reciprocity on equipment regulations. BUT I would never tow anything that heavy without add'l braking!
Ever hear anyone complain that there brakes were too good and they stopped to soon rather than running into the car ahead?
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wchipper,
Tow bar and supplemental brake technology are commodities. They all work. The difference between brands is what one must do to install and un-install the unit. Consider:
1. Have the sales person demonstrate the device. If possible you try to operate it. Choose the brand that works with you the best.

2. Know the weight of the truck and stuff that will be in it. Ensure the tow bar is rated for that weight.

3. Really consider a supplemental brake unit for the truck. Besides the legal and moral thoughts on this subject, the supplemental brake would reduce stress placed on the tow bar.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote