Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

What tow dolly do you use?

Going to have to use a tow dolly or trailer. Would like to start with tow dolly. 2007 Honda Odyssey. Maybe no tow dollys can handle that front end weight, but if there are some would appreciate your observations on them.

I know people are towing them on all 4 but Honda says it voids warranty. Also Remco says they can't help in that case either. Need 7 passenger vehicle to haul family and grandkids when we get to the area of interest.

I checked towing section and it was suggested there I ask my question here.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are using a "Kartote" that folds at the tongue when not in use for easy storage at the RV site. It also has surge breaks.

We tow our Honda Odyssey and it seems to do just fine.

Regards
Stephen S.
1996 HR Nav.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey again Fighterpilot,

Best of luck finding your dolly - too bad about U-Haul, but the 1 way rental was a smart move.

About picking a dolly - Before the food fight starts (dolly owners are a loyal bunch), Please be aware of a few design differences among the different brands:

1. Swivel pan type (used by many Mfgt's - like the U-haul) Puts the front axle on a pan that swivels on the dolly frame as you make turns. Can be found affordable or as expensive as you want to pay.
Pros - Common and time tested.
Cons - The heaviest of all designs, and the dolly fenders can hit the towed car's fender or door in a tight turn or jack knife situation.

2. Steering Axle types (towed car is static on the dolly frame) The dolly axle has self centering steering.
Pros - The self centering dolly steering will control the turn and will provide an excellent ride. The towed car is strapped down and does not need to flex on the dolly.
Cons - A bit on the pricey end (relative to other designs)

3. Acme EZETow - Solid frame dolly.
Pros - Very simple design -> only moving part is the wheels/tires/hubs -> very light weight - comes with surge/dics brakes - standard. Very affordable.
Cons - All the pivot action of any turn is made in the suspension of the towed car and the web strapping...if the towed car is accidently left with the steering locked, it will turn poorly.

4. No Brakes - These dollys rely on many State Laws allowing a "combination vehicle" formula to stop within a set distance.

5. Electric Brakes - Just like any Travel trailer...needs controller in the drivers position.

6. Surge brakes - automatic/hydraulic braking controlled by a master cylinder in the tongue of the dolly - applies braking pressure automatically as needed (more weight/more pressure - less weight/less pressure).

7. Disc/Drum barkes - common knowledge - just like found in cars/trucks

8. Fixed vs. folding/removable ramps: Fixed ramps can bump the underbody of the towed car on inclines.

Best of luck and safe travels!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the ACME EZETow. Capacity is well over your Ody's weight and width.
Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company

It is very simple, affordable, and easy to use.

I have towed several types of vehicles from a 2 door Accent (the really short one) to a fullsized V8 equipped Van (pulled the driveshaft). The Surge/Dics brakes work well with no adjustment needed, from fully loaded or empty.

It is only 400lb unloaded, it's easy for 1 person to roll around, AND can even be "hopped" from side to side while still connected to the RV in the inevitable situation that you are stuck doing an off-center loading of the towed.

Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I use a roadmaster with electric brakes, I been very pleased with it's performamce.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #6

i have had the pan style worked just fine. then went to the steering axle type which is just as good. the only reason i switched is is because i made $800.00 profit. i now have a tandem tow dolly so i can bring the bike or golf cart. all of them can mor than handle your honda. just look for a good deal, they are out there
rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I use a Roadmaster Tow Dolly with steerable wheels, third wheel jack, electric brakes and a spare tire.

I tow a 2011 Ford Escape V6 with no problems and prior to that I towed a Honda Civic all the way to Alaska and back with no problems.

The beauty part of the steerable wheels is that the dolly wheels follow in the same track as the RV wheels, therefore if the Rv clears something so will the dolly and naturally the car.

I like the electric brakes even though it requires a controller in the rV because of a number of things, 1 - I can adjust the amount of braking I need, 2 - I can even turn it off when I don't need it. It does help going down steep grades and is activated when you brake and not like surge brakes that activate if dolly is trying to push RV.

Roadmasters plate is also adjustable for the size of the vehicle and I never hit the Escapes fenders when turning sharp or otherwise.

Therefore in closing I would recommend the Roadmaster 2001 series with electric brakes and a third wheel jack in case you have to push it around Oh yes regarding places to put it at Campground, I usually ask for a pull through site and if none available I get to site and unload car, then I disconnect dolly and push it behind the rv and then reconnect it to RV so I can pull out with dolly and all I have to do is load car. BTW the dolly has a pin that diasables the steering thereby making it like a trailer. Once in awhile I'm able to put the pin in and back it into a site but it is tricky due to the short tongue.

I surely hope this helps and I'm sure you would be happy with that dolly and Camping World carries them or you can use Roadmasters website and find a dealer.

Good Luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,
It does help going down steep grades and is activated when you brake and not like surge brakes that activate if dolly is trying to push RV.

Isn't the idea of braking when the dolly is pushing against the MH,
THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING BRAKES ON THE DOLLY!!!
When else do you need braking on the dolly if not when going downhill
or slowing quickly, and the weight of the toad is pushing the MH........

Scarab0088 is correct, the ACME is a great dolly and the most
'bang for the buck'. I have put thousands of miles on my ACME and
it does everything the more expensive and more complicated
dollys do, and usually does it better.....

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
X2 on Roadmaster tow dolly, probably the best one out there.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #10

KarKaddy SS 460 and love it.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Same here for our '05 Honda Odyssey, although the Ody is also set for four down if I want.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Same here. We tow a 2010 Fusion. Tows great. I keep it in the driveway and the way it folds and is easy to move around is great.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #13

Another vote for the Roadmaster 2000-1. We've had ours over 12 years. It's towed our Buick over 25,000 miles without a problem. I like the electric brakes and all the other goodies like locking storage compartments, steerable wheels, and built in safety chains.

The nicest thing is the fixed ramps. You pull a lever to lower them to the ground. Once on the ground you drive the car into position. When the car reaches the proper position the ramps raise and lock into place. The only other thing to do is put on the wheel straps and attach the safety chains.

It takes about the same amount of time to load the car on the dolly as it does to attach the tow bar, and hook up the brake system for the Jeep.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Sequieman,

THe beauty part of the electric brakes that it is adjustable not only for downhills but just for regular stopping. Even better yet you can turn it off when not needed.

Do you really know why surge brakes were made? I bet not so I will tell you. They were mainly made for boat trailers as most trailers boat trailers get their wheels in the water and as you know water and electricity (even though 12V) don't agree therefore surge brakes (which are hydraulic) don't care.

Just a further note, my tow dolly has gone over 60K miles with no problems and I don't have to crawl under to do anything with the ramps plus parking it at home or a campground has not been a problem.

I guess we will have say and this is not a plug, but Roadmaster 2000-1 is the best tow dolly out there!

: thumb:
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly