Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Looking at the Blue Ox system. Husband doesn't think we need a braking system. He says jeep is light no need. What do you all think????
My Jeep is a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 Dr soft top automatic trans..
Husband is wrong you do need a braking system.. IF you tow often (I will explain) Blue Ox has a tow bar with an intergrated surge brake (Auto-Stop) and that is what I'd suggest

or the Ready Brute with Ready Brake (Basically the same thing)

Problem with surge brakes.. Thy use a cable like a parking brake cable on the car.. This cable... Can rust and jam (Just like a parking brake cable) if not used often enough and not properly lubricated from time to time.

And like a parking brake cable.. The most common failure mode is "Brakes ON".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #16

Your motorhome is built on either a Workhorse or Ford F53 chassis. Ford says towing anything weighing over 1,500 lbs. requires supplemental brakes. Workhorse says anything weighing over 1,000 lbs. needs brakes.

Your Jeep weighs 3,760 lbs.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #17

I don't understand how people can spend thousands of dollars on a motor home and a tow vehicle but won't spend the money to pull it safely using a breaking system. They dont understand/care that by not using one it puts everyone at risk when the time comes that you need one and you will need one if you travel very far. For your safety and the safety of others step up to the plate and get one. We have been full time RVing for 3 years and I have through no fault of my own had 2 lock up the break panic stops 1 resulting in someone hitting me and 1 with me stopping only about 3 foot from the back of a people moving van on the freeway when they decided to stop just after getting on because there lane was about 1/4 blocked with a bale of straw.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You've gotten some good advice, and it seems you've made a wise decision - to get a brake system.

Now, as to your question as to which one, there are any number of good choices. I started with a Brake Buddy, it worked just fine and is easy to set up. When I upgraded to the Air Force One I sold the Brake Buddy on Craig's list for much less than you could buy a new one, you might try looking there. I think Blue Ox also sells rebuilt used units at considerably less than new.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #19

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
I don't understand how people can spend thousands of dollars on a motor home and a tow vehicle but won't spend the money to pull it safely using a breaking system. They dont understand/care that by not using one it puts everyone at risk when the time comes that you need one and you will need one if you travel very far. For your safety and the safety of others step up to the plate and get one. We have been full time RVing for 3 years and I have through no fault of my own had 2 lock up the break panic stops 1 resulting in someone hitting me and 1 with me stopping only about 3 foot from the back of a people moving van on the freeway when they decided to stop just after getting on because there lane was about 1/4 blocked with a bale of straw.
Mody n Domy My husband would never put others at risk knowingly. Unfortunately people make bad decisions by being uninformed and ignorant. I'm neither.
Being a full timer I'm sure you have loads of knowledge to offer us unfortunate part time Rvers.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #20

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
You've gotten some good advice, and it seems you've made a wise decision - to get a brake system.

Now, as to your question as to which one, there are any number of good choices. I started with a Brake Buddy, it worked just fine and is easy to set up. When I upgraded to the Air Force One I sold the Brake Buddy on Craig's list for much less than you could buy a new one, you might try looking there. I think Blue Ox also sells rebuilt used units at considerably less than new.
I want reliable and easy. So .....
Guess I'll be researching Air Force one, Brake Buddy and Blue Ox. Anyone have any info as to which you prefer?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
I want reliable and easy. So .....
Guess I'll be researching Air Force one, Brake Buddy and Blue Ox. Anyone have any info as to which you prefer?
The Air Force One will not work on a coach with hydraulic brakes, but the company (SMI) does make other systems that will.

Asking "which do you prefer" is like asking which is better, Chevy or Ford. Most of the tow bar manufacturers also make a braking system that would work for you too - Blue Ox, Roadmaster, Demco...
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:26 AM   #22

I would check out RVI brake also. It's compact and has two way communication.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #23

2012 blue ox base plates BX 1126

have one FS . See my add in classified. 603-723-6568
Old 08-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #24

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65specialk View Post
have one FS . See my add in classified. 603-723-6568
I made a bad I have a 2011 not 2012...
2 Dr sport 4x4
Old 08-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ready Brute tow bar with intigrated surge brake and Curry base plate. Simple, it just works 2015 Jeep Wrangler unlimited
Old 09-10-2015, 05:27 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We run a 2014 Wrangler JK behind our coach with a Brake Buddy Stealth. I towed the Jeep to the shop to have it installed. I could feel the push from the Jeep during braking but it was little problem in normal braking. When we picked up the coach and Jeep the brake assist made a great difference in my ability to stop the combination. There is no way I would tow a 4500 vehicle behind a 24,000 pound coach without supplemental braking. When traveling there is no such thing as normal braking. There are just to many hazards on the road looking to make you "jamb" on the brakes. Law aside, supplemental brakes are a safety issue.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #27

I am not an expert, but to the best of my knowledge all 4 wheel drive Jeeps are flat towable.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:27 AM   #28

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thought I would update. Went with blue ox system and the
SMI brake system being put in the tow vehicle.

Tags
tow