Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:58 AM   #29
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
I don't understand how people can spend thousands of dollars on a motor home and a tow vehicle but won't spend the money to pull it safely using a breaking system. They dont understand/care that by not using one it puts everyone at risk when the time comes that you need one and you will need one if you travel very far. For your safety and the safety of others step up to the plate and get one. We have been full time RVing for 3 years and I have through no fault of my own had 2 lock up the break panic stops 1 resulting in someone hitting me and 1 with me stopping only about 3 foot from the back of a people moving van on the freeway when they decided to stop just after getting on because there lane was about 1/4 blocked with a bale of straw.
I tend to agree a bit. We are on a budget. Our camper is a 1997 that has over 100000 miles on it. All winter I have been fixing one thing after another to get it ready to go this summer. Last major expense was 6 new tires as everyone said the ones i had where not safe (after 5K with no issues). I am on a budget so getting this stuff has been a challenge. I finally got our tow bar and ended up with the Blue Ox Adventurer. While its not a fancy bar, it is quality built and per blue o fine for our application. (Also a 2010 JK 2 Door Soft top). I built my bumper to save money and ordered brackets from Blue Ox that bolt on. Earlier this winter I ordered and installed the Mopar light harness. The only thing I have left is a brake system, but trying to find one on C-List or E-Bay for a reasonable price has been challenging. We leave March 30th for Martinsville and if i don't find one by then that i can afford I wont use one.

On the other side i have towed vehicles for decades with no brakes (many jeeps) to off road parks and events with no issues. Yes I know things can happen, but being as safe as I can within budget is also a challenge.

I worry more about the SUV towing a 30' Travel trailer with the hitch banging the ground than a motorhome driving down the highway.

PS if anyone has a cheap used system for sale I'll take it...can't use surge cables as NY salt will destroy the cable in 3 months

kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #30
I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with a Blue ox base plate and the Ready Brute Elite tow bar. Love the set up, easy to use and works great. I purchased the tow bar on Amazon and paid $720. Price is for the RB 9025 but got the RB 9050. Description is for the RB 9025 which does not have the the surge braking system but picture is for the RB 9050 which is what I received. I have Prime so figured worth a shot. I was pleasantly surprised RB 9050 is what arrived at my door. Not a bad way to save a few hundred dollars!!! I think it is a great system.
Robot Check

gtp618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree and just finished our setup with the Ready Brute elite tow bar and surge brake. We also went with the Blue Ox base plate. Love this system so far.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Ken & Diane
2014 Newmar Ventana 4369 All Electric 400HP
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
KenNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #32
I have the Ready Brute Elite sat on my garage floor, waiting for me to start installing.

I agree with your comments about salt on the cable. I take my jeep offroad and don't want it filling with water or mud, so I'm going to look at some way to seal the end (going to have to get inventive I guess, but don't want to hijack your post).

But after reading about issues with electronic systems (plus the high cost), I decided the pros outweighed the cons with the mechanical surge brake.

It does seem to be a very well built system though. I had to order custom clevis connections for my bumper and NSA were very easy to deal with.

They do make the surge brake only, and I think Blue Ox make a similar one as well.

I have a 1990 MH, I understand being on a budget, but 'if' anything did happen and someone got hurt.......

1990 Glendale Royal Classic
2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #33
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
I am not an expert, but to the best of my knowledge all 4 wheel drive Jeeps are flat towable.
Only those with a true neutral position in the transfer case are towable four down. We had a '97 with the full time 4 wheel drive Quadratrack, it had a high, neutral and low on the transfer case . Towed it for many miles.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote