Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
What tow system best for a jeep?

Looking at the Blue Ox system. Husband doesn't think we need a braking system. He says jeep is light no need. What do you all think????
My Jeep is a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 Dr soft top automatic trans..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you travel in to ANY state that requires it then you are required to comply with their laws. What your home state requires doesn't mean a thing.
Our MH weighs 50,000#'s and the Ody weighs 4,400#'s so about 8% of the RV;s weight. We have a 3 stage engine brake and all wheel disk brakes. The rig will STOP, but I'm still required to have aux brakes on the van as WA requires that it have a breakaway setup to stop the vehicle if it breaks away. Can only do that if it has brakes attached to the RV. If you come into WA then you're required to have it also.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We tow our Jeep with the BlueOx Aladdin towbar. BlueOx base plate. and a ReadyBrake braking system. You really should have a braking system, it does make a difference. If you are ever in a panic stopping situation you will appreciate the extra stopping power. I found our ReadyBrake on Craigslist for $200.00. Well worth the cost and the 2 seconds it takes to hook up each time we tow. With the ReadyBrake there is nothing to put in and take out of the jeep each time.

Is your Jeep 4X4?
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:08 AM   #4

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thank You, MrD. Need a good but honey requirement. That's a pretty good one!

Belgian yes 4x4.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have towed Jeeps both without and with braking systems. I can tell a difference in stopping with quick stops. I use a RVI2 brake and on normal, slow stops it doesn't usually activate. On those fast stops when traffic backs up or lights change, it activates and I can feel a difference in stopping. As previously said, the peace of mind knowing I have the breakaway feature is worth the expense.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We tow with Roadmaster Falcon2 Allterrain & a Brake Buddy. Works for us.

Should you get into an accident & don't have toad brakes, there won't be much left after the lawyers get hold of you. Nearly all states require supplemental brakes for anything over 3000#. Don't take chances, be safe...for you & those on the road with you.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Please encourage your husband to do some research on this and not just to go with his gut. If your Jeep is the 4door version, they weight over 4000 pounds. That will increase your stopping distance significantly, and it easily kills when flying down the road at highway speeds. Breakaways are not unheard of either, and an onboard braking system improves both situations--reducing your braking distance for normal driving conditions, AND stopping the Jeep if it were to become separated from the RV.

I tow a 4door Jeep and have used the Patriot (from Blue Ox) Braking system for a couple of years, and more recently upgrade to the M&G system. I much prefer the M&G for it's simplicity of hookup and disconnect, and because it is truly proportional braking, but either one is better than nothing!

Rob
Old 08-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #8

We us a Blue Ox, Simple Plate Install, My analogy on the Brake System will be Flamed.....30,000lb MH Towing a 5,000lb Vehicle, 6,000lb Pick Up Towing a 4,000lb Boat......(I Know The Law)
Old 08-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
We us a Blue Ox, Simple Plate Install, My analogy on the Brake System will be Flamed.....30,000lb MH Towing a 5,000lb Vehicle, 6,000lb Pick Up Towing a 4,000lb Boat......(I Know The Law)
You won't get flamed by me. The guy towing the boat should also have a great braking system for the trailer.

(I'm more concerned about safety than the laws. I obey all laws in every state that I drive, but I also reserve the right to do what's safe even if the law doesn't require it.)
Old 08-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
You won't get flamed by me. The guy towing the boat should also have a great braking system for the trailer.

(I'm more concerned about safety than the laws. I obey all laws in every state that I drive, but I also reserve the right to do what's safe even if the law doesn't require it.)
The Boat is not required to have a brake system, I obey Laws also, but, I have caught myself not coming to a COMPLETE stop now and then....I guess the definition of SAFETY can be interpreted a thousand ways by a thousand different people......
Old 08-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
The Boat is not required to have a brake system,......
Yup--I'm aware of that, and I think that's ridiculous too. Don't get me wrong--I don't wish for more laws and regulations. Unfortunately, common sense isn't so common, so laws and fines and penalties are how society tries to make sure that people act in a safe manner (example: red lights at intersections).

I once had to tow my Jeep in for service, and since I already owned a towbar from the RV, I connected the towbar to a Toyota 4Runner and towed the Jeep in for service. I don't know the exact weight of the 4Runner, but a quick google search of our year model shows it weighs somewhere between 4045-4530 lbs. My Jeep comes in at about 4200, so not exactly the example you produced, but close enough.

My experience towing my Jeep a few miles to my service center (without a braking system) using the 4Runner was a real eye opener. That Jeep pushed hard into the 4Runner with every stop, and I was super gentle with my stops. I did not feel safe and I regretted that I took a chance like that.

I can't believe that there are people out there towing 4000lb cars, boats or trailers without a braking system. Legal or not, it's clearly unsafe. Of course it's even worse when the tow vehicle weight is close to the tow itself, but it is false logic to assume that it's perfectly safe towing with an RV.

Not to mention what happens when there is a brake away, and a towed vehicle is now rolling freely down the highway. Granted, that does not happen often, but that wouldn't make me feel any better if I'm attending the funeral of a loved one struck by a vehicle that broke away from an RV, all because the RV owner didn't want to spend a few hundred dollars for a braking system. And if I was that RV driver, I'd never get over that.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Yup--I'm aware of that, and I think that's ridiculous too. Don't get me wrong--I don't wish for more laws and regulations. Unfortunately, common sense isn't so common, so laws and fines and penalties are how society tries to make sure that people act in a safe manner (example: red lights at intersections).

I once had to tow my Jeep in for service, and since I already owned a towbar from the RV, I connected the towbar to a Toyota 4Runner and towed the Jeep in for service. I don't know the exact weight of the 4Runner, but a quick google search of our year model shows it weighs somewhere between 4045-4530 lbs. My Jeep comes in at about 4200, so not exactly the example you produced, but close enough.

My experience towing my Jeep a few miles to my service center (without a braking system) using the 4Runner was a real eye opener. That Jeep pushed hard into the 4Runner with every stop, and I was super gentle with my stops. I did not feel safe and I regretted that I took a chance like that.

I can't believe that there are people out there towing 4000lb cars, boats or trailers without a braking system. Legal or not, it's clearly unsafe. Of course it's even worse when the tow vehicle weight is close to the tow itself, but it is false logic to assume that it's perfectly safe towing with an RV.

Not to mention what happens when there is a brake away, and a towed vehicle is now rolling freely down the highway. Granted, that does not happen often, but that wouldn't make me feel any better if I'm attending the funeral of a loved one struck by a vehicle that broke away from an RV, all because the RV owner didn't want to spend a few hundred dollars for a braking system. And if I was that RV driver, I'd never get over that.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Looking at the Blue Ox system. Husband doesn't think we need a braking system. He says jeep is light no need. What do you all think????
My Jeep is a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 Dr soft top automatic trans..
The rules in about 40+ states plus all of Canada is you must have a braking system on any towed object over 3000 lbs. My 12 Rubicon JK weighs about 4300 lbs. I wouldn't go anywhere except on the way to the installer without an aux braking system. I take the time to connect my braking system even when I am towing the Jeep across town to load the RV.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #14

Georgie Boy Owners Club
We have a 2 dr jeep wrangler sport 4x4. Yeah he'll put a breaking system on it.
We also have a Chevrolet k1500 we pull our fishing boat with. The boats trailer has a braking system. He just thought since the Jeep is so light RV so big he wouldn't need it. So we r now getting a braking system. But whigh one?

Tags
tow