Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
what towing product do you suggest

i am buying a 2011 jeep wrangler so i can tow 4 down in stead of using a tow dolly with the volvo and there are other reasons of why buying the jeep but towing is related to this forum and was wondering what product will be best and if i should get a supplmental breaking system for this vehical, the jeep weighs aroung 3500 lbs and i can pull 5000 behind my 2012 coachman mirada 32 bh any and all input will be apreciated and also can i install this to my jeep or should i have an installer do it

jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
This is what I got last year. Seems salty up front but when you add all of the separates together they come to much more.

Ready Brake RB-9050 tow bar kit with Brake integrated into it, Blue Ox base plate and wiring. INCLUDING SHIPPING

I don't know if other vendors carry this package or not.

born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #3
I forgot to mention. I installed everything myself. It was on a cavalier and the worst part was removing the bumper fascia. I got to do it twice. After I had it all back together I noticed the break-away brake still in the box. I had it done in about four hours including the break-away brake faux pas.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
you better check the weight again its more like 4400 lbs
just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow a 2004 Wrangler that weighs 4450 pounds. I installed a US Gear Unified Tow Break and am towing with a Blue Ox tow bar. It works great.
2011 Winnebago Adventurer 35P
Towing a 2014 Jeep Rubicon 4 Door with a Can Am Maverick XRS 1000 SXS behind the Jeep.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
I tow a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport behind our 2003 Pace Arrow 36. I installed the following items:

Currie baseplate - easy job by myself - cheaper than blue ox but you will
need to grind the fitments for a perfect fit. Go with the blue ox baseplate if you don't want to grinds stuff. Only took 20 minutes with a file - easy.

Blue Ox Aventa LX towbar - bought on ebay for half price. Purchased a refurbish kit from BlueOx (cheap) and made it like new.

Mopar OEM tow wiring - have your local jeep install this for $100.

No brake system installed. You can tell it's back there but it's a non issue even going up and down the local mountains (Big Bear CA).
wtondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
As for a braking system, I would highly recommend using one. There have been many posts here on this IRV2 forum either for using or not using or whether it is legally required but the bottom line is they do help shorten the distance needed in a panic stop. I look at it like air bags. Just insurance against having a bad day. I use a Brake Buddy. Happy travels.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
iRV2 No Limits Club
We used a RoadMaster setup on our '97 Jeep and now on our '05 Ody. Now using pretty much all the same components on our '05 Odyssey. I really like the whole setup. Not cheap as we got the Sterling towbar and the BrakeMaster with breakaway.

Most states don't require braking systems, some people will post links to websites that erroneously point out braking requirements for trailers which don't apply to motorized vehicle towing motorized vehicles. At least not in WA, OR and CA. There it becomes a performance spec. Stop in so many feet from XX mph and no add'l braking required. I'm sure our DSDP would pass, but still.......

But just as it takes more power to move more weight it also takes more braking to stop it.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
We installed the SMI Air force one system on our coach to tow a Tracker and find it very quick to attach and easy to use.
bud@yxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok i am getting a blue ox avandia installed on thursday along with a break buddie system i belive it might also be from blue ox but not sure the camper dealer is going to install the system when i go to pick up my coach and then they are going to hook it all together to make sure it all works etc but thanks for the imput,
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Your decision to choose Blue Ox and have the dealer install is absolutely the right one. You may suffer a small heart attack when you see the bill but pay it and move on. You will not regret it.
We have a 2005 Fleetwood Providence 40 and tow a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. This summer on our way to the Jersey Shore on I-180, a Mercedes Benz passed us on the left. We were traveling between 55 and 60 mph. The MB blew a tire, lost control, spun around in the median and came back on the road - hitting us head on. The noise was incredible but my husband stayed calm and in control. When we finally stopped we were sure the Jeep would no longer be behind us. But much to our surprise it was there - straight as an arrow. We suffered damage to the nose and the entire drivers side of the MH - all cosmetic. PLUS the front bumper, the drivers side front fender, the running board, the drivers side back fender and the rear bumper OF THE JEEP- all rubber. No other damage to the Jeep.
Can't say as much for the Mercedes or it's driver.
Have never been more thankful for choosing the best or spending the extra money. We were just sad to loose 3 months use of our MH. It would have been even worse if we had lost the use of our Jeep too.
denNdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just ordered up a Blue Ox Aventa and an Invisibrake system for our 2004 Vectra 40AD and 2012 Wrangler Sport manual. High price for the installation of that system but we're going fulltime and I don't want to be moving the box back and forth. I think the Air Force One is the same type of system as the Invisibrake. Comes it 2 types. One for Diesels and one for Gas. The diesel version utilizes the air system of the coach I gather from the description on the sites and in the manual. The price is similar to the box but the install is much more expensive. $900 parts and $475 install. That doesn't include the towbar and base plate, just the braking system and install.

Ginny & Eric - Full Time 4/14/12 - Our Blog "Walk About With Wheels"

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote