Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
2002 Chey Trailblazer LTZ 4wd - 4,800 lbs weigh scaled. Hook up blue ox tow bar & cables, Switch off transferr case, remove key, add patroit brake, lock car, done in 10min with 2 people. Mounted hidden tow bracket and 7 wired myself in 2 days with diodes and charge lead.
Reason is no steering wheel lock and ease of towing for the do it yourselfer. Plenty of room and go juice in the winter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #30

Chev

2006 Chev Cobalt. Very nice after putting a switch on the circuit that needs to be disconnected so as to not run the battery down. Very sad about the rigamarole that one must go through to tow the Curve, so am looking. Wish the Volt could be towed. That would be almost ideal.
helendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #31

What about a Chevy Tahoe, 4wd? Any opinions?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
That's what I tow behind my diesel pusher. I have a 2003 Tahoe.we love have a comfortable vehicle for our side trips.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
We love our jeep! Super easy to hook up, pin the tow bar plug in the electrical cord, air line on quick disconnects (m&g brake system) protect-a-tow net, transfer case in netural,tranny in park and go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02935.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	27471  
Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #34

and was sorry we sold it. Still one of the best all around SUV out there. Tows a lot and has a nice ride. We have a Buick Enclave and love it. We use it as a toad but can tow up to 4500lbs. Not bad.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #35
Community Moderator

i dug this lately and likely to pick up a nissan frontier crew cab. first i have two cars (all diesel) don't want to add another; second i need a pickup for other chores when not on road; ideally a diesel light pickup like those produced in 80's but don't want to have one that old; among newer light pickups, it seems only nissan frontier allows 4-down without mods; third, i like the crew cab 4 door set up, accommodating more people when need be.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #36
YC1

We have a Ford Edge Limited towing it four down. Also an H3 Hummer four down.

Looked at a Cadillac (don't remember the model). The Chevy Equinox was on our list too.

The Edge is roomy, has plenty of HP, nice area in back and with a neat thing the wife ordered it is dog proof. It has all the luxuries of a Cadillac. Almost same price too. It is a crossover suv. She walks up, puts her hand on the door pull and it unlocks. She puts her purse down and starts the car, without looking for keys. Once started it syncs with her cell phone. It show her current battery level and signal strength. With voice control you can run just about everything. The high def screen is excellent for navigation.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a 2012 Jeep Grand Chreokee 4x4. I wanted something I could easily flat tow and something with a towing capicity over 7000 lbs so I can tow my boat. Works great!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #38

Wink Toads

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
and was sorry we sold it. Still one of the best all around SUV out there. Tows a lot and has a nice ride. We have a Buick Enclave and love it. We use it as a toad but can tow up to 4500lbs. Not bad.

WE have a Buick Enclave also and am getting ready to fit for flat towing. Any suggestions to a novice?
guymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #39

03 dodge mini van with remco lube pump, air brake set up. Van is set up for wheel chair (wife) 35,000 miles towing no problems so far!(knock on wood)

Don
Old 10-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #40

We tow a '99 Tracker 2dr 4X4 5 speed using a SMI (Air Force One) system---ready to tow in fiveish minutes (maybe less). Tracker goes in 2WD where my Suburban would hardly (or not) go in 4WD
bud@yxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #41

The Original tow vehicle. Now, if the tow vehicle is also going to be your daily driver, then get something more practical...but if it's mainly a 2nd vehicle, then you'd be crazy not to have one. They're small, light, hold their value, and are literally THE toughest, most reliable thing out there....and the new ones get great fuel mileage for a V6 4x4, and are actually VERY comfortable. You can get 'em with 4 doors too!

Why not put a toy behind your toy??? Easy to tow, easy to maintain, and sharp looking when clean

.....Plus you can't do this in a Lexus hahaha.

There's nothing quite like a JEEP
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymaster

WE have a Buick Enclave also and am getting ready to fit for flat towing. Any suggestions to a novice?
Guymaster I have a Roadmaster Falcon2 and a 9700 brake buddy. I plan on also towing a 2nd car so I wanted a portable braking system.
If I were to set it up as a single tow I would get something more permanent and hidden. I would also get a system that used my air system on my DP. There are a lot of new products out there. If there is a RV show or large rally it would pay to wait. I learned a lot at the Indy FMCA rally. They had all the manufactures there with products to shop and compare.
Good luck.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote