Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #57

We tow a 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring using an Acme tow dolly. The ET is a 4 door hatchback more like a small SUV and the seats fold down in the back to create a lot of luggage space. Takes around 15 minutes to load and hook-up lights. Tows great behind the DP and is a very comfortable touring car for excursions away from the campground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV at S. LLano River SP.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	27917

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #58

Does anyone flat tow an all wheel drive GMC Denali or a newer Silverado with the 6 speed automatic? I have been told it is suggested that a tranny lube pump be installed, is it mandatory? How big of deal is a lube pump?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #59

I was looking for a tow vehicle that would hold us and four girls (3 in carseats)...
We wanted the big Denali, but because of the "all-wheel drive, all if the time," the Denali cannot be towed. We bought a GMC Yukon XL 4WD fully loaded and dressed it out with the same grill n trim pkg as a Denali.
Transfer case in Nuetral, and she's ready to tow, 4 down.

Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier
assume yours' a 5spd... do you need to mod anything or just hook up/gear at neutral/go?
on your photo there is a crew cab pickup your neighbor is towing. is it a nissan frontier?
I don't know what kind of TV my neighbor drove, but his 5W was huge! We were at Live Oak Landing in Freeport, Florida.
Our Ranger is standard on the floor 4spd with OD. We only take it out of gear, no mods required. On the steering column you have the option to lock and remove the key. We do not remove the key. This leaves all accessories off and steering wheel unlocked.
We use the Patriot BlueOx brake and the Demco Commander tow bar. The Demco stays with the MH when you are unhooked, we liked that. Some of the tow bars, when unhooked, stay with the toad.

Safe Travels
Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear
What about a Chevy Tahoe, 4wd? Any opinions?
We tow a 2012 GMC Terrain AWD behind our 8.1 Gas 2005 Sun voyager but had to increase gas from regular to 92 Octane which stopped the check engine light coming on.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #62

thanks Loozycat. i like a pickup just like yours for off-towing use so kinda curious. double-row seats would be nice so when daughter's family goes with us we could just need to drive one around. trying to accommodate many scenarios with one vehicle is kinda a challenge .
Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
We tow a 2007 Tahoe 4wd with no troubles at all. Don't let the weight bother you. We tow with a 330 Cat.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear
Towed my 2007 Tahoe for years but now we tow a 2012 z71 Silverado.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #65

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
A general rule of thumb is that just about "any FWD with a 5-speed manual can be towed four-down."
The "fly in that ointment" is that almost every manual transmission is lubricated by "splash" from the gears or an oil slinger. It the output shaft powers the gears or oil slinger then it's towable. BUT some are off the input shaft so no oil unless the engine is running.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #66

I noticed that Remco recommends an oil pump for many GM 4x4 when flat towing. Does anyone do that, because the owners manual does't say anything about that requirement.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I noticed that Remco recommends an oil pump for many GM 4x4 when flat towing. Does anyone do that, because the owners manual does't say anything about that requirement.
As far as I know, you don't need an oil pump for any 4wd GM's that have a transfer case that you can put in neutral.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #68

Great! Thanks to all. Think we'll go with the Tahoe. I've had 2 in the past and loved them and the space.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #69

National RV Owners Club
I tow a 1995 Saturn SL-2 on all 4 wheels down and the speed meter has 66,000 miles but I towed it 81,000 miles and the speed meter does not work when you are towing.I baught it new in 95, last year I put a set of plugs in for the first time.
I suggest that you look around for an old Saturn.
You put the key in the ACC and the shifter in neutral with the break off and your ready to go. Asuming you have all of the rest of the out side hook ups.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #70

I have towed many different vehicles with dolly for a while until I had a horrible experience with the car jumping off the dolly and dolly storage was such a pain so for the last 12 years been towing 4 down. (Can now disconnect in less than 60 sec and hook up in less than 90 sec with Smart Car) I currently have a Malibu and a Smart car rigged for towing with a Blue Ox base plate on both. Since I downsized to a B+ I now use the Smart Car most of the time when I take any car along. (some trips I prefer not to tow) In my case I now need to concern myself more about weight to meet combined weight limit and of course for better RV performance the lighter the toad means better MPG. (Smart car is about 1850 lbs)

Have towed Smarty > 11K mi and it works fine for us. Had a front tire blow on Smarty while in tow but that can happen to any vehicle so I now have TPMS extended to the toad for added protection.

Smart Car is a great lightweight tow veh that takes up little space but it is limited to 2 people with a small storage area so it is not for everyone. Can carry 2 sets of golf clubs in Smarty cargo area. The ride in Smarty is OK at best - very choppy on rough roads but we only use it as a runabout with no long distance driving in that car.

If weight is an issue, suggest. RVers look at the Smart Car. Works good for us and we can pull into most double length parking spaces with our 25' B+ with car in tow.