Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #99

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #100

We tow a 2009 Honda Fit Sportster with Roadmaster Falcon 2 hitch. Modified the crossbar to include a mesh screen to protect the Fit hood and fenders. Have a quick disconnect on the car battery ground post so no need to pull fuses. Leave the car in neutral with key in accessory position and off we go. Hooking up without any help is a little cumbersome with the Falcon 2 but can be done. You'd be surprised at how much room this little car has with seats that fold both up and down. We get around 40 mpg at modest speeds and can turn around on a dime. Ours is Copper colored and everyone in town knows where we are all the time.
Pat F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #101

2002 Toyota Prius on a tow dolly...looking to go to something that is 4 down, but do not want to spend more than $4k...needs to fit me, wife, 2 kids, and 120 lb dog. Suggestions?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #102

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckb42 View Post
I tow a 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4-wheels down. Have towed this vehicle for well over 60K miles with never a problem. Honda does not certify this vehicle for 4- wheels down towing, but I spoke with the Service Manager at the dealership where I bought it, and he said that I should not experience any problems as long as I stop every couple hundred miles and run the engine and go through the gears (N, D3, D2, D1) a few times to lube the tranny.
We've tried towing our 2005 Ody both on a dolly and four down. Last time I towed it four down I ended up with the battery going dead several times. When we got back there were lots more rock dings and it needed an alignment (thanks CA roads!). Since we already have the dolly I'll keep towing it that way. No dead batteries, less chance of rock damage and I won't beat the alignment out of wack!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #103

Is your Suzuki that you are flat towing in the photo a manual 2 wheel drive? I am looking to purchase a 1997 Suzuki that has a manual trany and is two wheel drive to flat tow.
fleetwood43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #104

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwood43 View Post
Is your Suzuki that you are flat towing in the photo a manual 2 wheel drive? I am looking to purchase a 1997 Suzuki that has a manual trany and is two wheel drive to flat tow.

My Sidekick is 4WD Manual. I checked my owner’s manual and to tow the 2WD Manual the only option for towing is to put the rear wheels on a dolly and clamp the steering wheel with a clamping device designed for towing. Not a very good option. Without the transfer case in a 4WD you can't disengage the drive train from the engine.
Sorry
Dick
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #105

Subaru Outback

I called the Subaru dealership to check to see if a manual Outback could be toed four down and the answer was yes, yet I see noone tows one. Can someone tell me if there are any problems towing it??
Thanks
Tom
tombauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombauer View Post
I called the Subaru dealership to check to see if a manual Outback could be toed four down and the answer was yes, yet I see noone tows one. Can someone tell me if there are any problems towing it??
Thanks
Tom
Friends of ours bought a 2012 Outback last year to flat tow behind their motorhome on our recommendation as we currently tow an '06 Outback and have also towed a Forester before.

Subarus are excellent toads, in our opinion. No restrictions whatsoever, no fuses to pull, no speed restrictions, no time restrictions, no lube pumps or disconnects needed, no mileage registered on the speedometer, no abnormal tire wear, and although they're not that light, you can't feel them behind you at all (and we've not seen any decrease in MPG in the motorhome when towing as compared with no tow). Just put it in neutral, release the brake, set the key in the position between off and accessory and you're on your way (although I'm not sure if the current models have push button start ignitions or not) ...assuming an integrated supplemental tow brake; we have a Unified Tow Brake so it's seamless.

It's AWD for excellent traction in the snow. They're reliable and well built. Assembled in the U.S. And the new ones get much better MPG now. It's the absolute perfect toad for those who don't mind a manual transmission.

And yes, it is totally approved by Subaru of America for recreational towing and appears every year in the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy List. In fact, Subaru of America used to advertise the fact that their cars can be recreationally towed in their monthly magazine.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #107

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
It's the absolute perfect toad for those who don't mind a manual transmission.
And, therein lies to rub for some people!! My wife has never driven a stick and has no reason to try and learn now so it'll be a Jeep GC or CR-V next.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And, therein lies to rub for some people!! My wife has never driven a stick and has no reason to try and learn now so it'll be a Jeep GC or CR-V next.
Have you asked your wife if she'd be willing to learn? The reason I ask is that the couple I mentioned in my post were in the same mindset. She had never driven a stick and really didn't want to learn.

However, we all talked about it one night after dinner and both DW and I are avid manual transmission people and have always purchased manuals for as long as we've been together, we convinced her to spend an afternoon with us in wide open lot and showed her how easy it was in the newer cars. The new cars, especially the Japanese makes like Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc. have such silky smooth shifters and very light clutch springs. They're not at all like the stick shifts of decades ago.

She actually had fun with it and eventually took her to an incline and had her practice taking off while sitting on a hill stopped. She picked it up immediately and by the end of the session, she couldn't wait to drive another manual. And she's in her 60s!

So they ended up buying a new Outback and now tells us that she looks forward to taking the Outback out and even fights with her DH on who is going to drive.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #109

Quote:

She actually had fun with it and eventually took her to an incline and had her practice taking off while sitting on a hill stopped. She picked it up immediately and by the end of the session, she couldn't wait to drive another manual. And she's in her 60s!

-harry
You aren't suggesting she's old are you?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #110

Newmar Owners Club
Tow vehicle

Hi
I have a Newmar Dutch Star , I tow a 2008 Buick Enclave clx front wheel drive all four down Blue Ox Tow Bar, all have to do is run enclave 5 minutes place in neutral turn key to acc remove bat 1 fuse from fuse box under hood.
tows great. Hope this helps.
Dale