Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #155

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKANER View Post
we normally don't tow with our class A but are now considering purchasing a left over 2011 Honda CR-V LX with 4WD for our toad. is it correct that no modifications or purchases need to be made to the vehicle itself other than the tow bar and necessary light connections ? what is the procedure for traveling.. what position is the key in while traveling ? how is the steering wheel unlocked ? is the transmission in neutral while traveling ? do you have to pull any fuses. can anyone provide a procedure or checklist that they use. thanx Len
Add to your list, supplemental brake system either installed or brake in a box. Towed 40k miles without than installed US Gear system. Would never again tow without.

Our checklist for hook up: position car; connect towbar; make electrical connection (includes brake connection); extend the towbar (either roll car back or pull ahead with coach); be sure car check list includes brake off, and anything else Owners manual requires; check lights either cycle turn indicators and step on brakes or short form - turn on 4 way flashers. Roll out checking rear view camera and mirrors to be sure car is following
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #156

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler

Add to your list, supplemental brake system either installed or brake in a box. Towed 40k miles without than installed US Gear system. Would never again tow without.

Our checklist for hook up: position car; connect towbar; make electrical connection (includes brake connection); extend the towbar (either roll car back or pull ahead with coach); be sure car check list includes brake off, and anything else Owners manual requires; check lights either cycle turn indicators and step on brakes or short form - turn on 4 way flashers. Roll out checking rear view camera and mirrors to be sure car is following
I just bought a 2011 CRV. What equipment was required to get it as easy as you say?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #157

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan View Post
I just bought a 2011 CRV. What equipment was required to get it as easy as you say?
Boogieman,

Towbar from Roadmaster or Blue Ox with suitable base plate. Electrical umbilical, safety cables, brake system (US Gear is my choice). Car wiring to light tail lights as appropriate.

My preference is an installed brake system in the car since it is plug and play with no setup once installed. Brake in a box - any brand is another part to place, setup and possibly screw up each time you set out to tow. since we do this almost daily for weeks on end, simple is MUCH better. I can screw up the most ordinary task when distracted or in a hurry .
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #158

If you've ever had a Brake Buddy burn up in your car, you won't go back to it. Brand new 2010 Explorer a year ago and the smell is still there.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #159

Jeep Liberty

I wanted a CR-V but the dealer wouldn't meet my price so I purchased a 2011 Jeep Liberty. I had a Blue Ox Tow Plate and the Aventa LX Tow Bar installed along with the Blue Ox Patriot braking system. I also had additional lights in the rear of the Jeep. The instructions for putting the Liberty into neutral were straight forward. I towed it home, about 30 miles and if I wasn't watching the rear camera I wouldn't know it was back there. The true test will be the first of the year when I head south. Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #160

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Currie Baseplate, BlueOx Aventa LX towbar, OEM Mopar tow wiring harness. The currie baseplate will require some filing to fit perfectly but it's cheaper than BlueOx and nicer looking. Bought the towbar off ebay for half price and bought a reconditioning kit from BlueOx. Did all the installation work myself - easy peasy.
wtondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #161

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtondu
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Currie Baseplate, BlueOx Aventa LX towbar, OEM Mopar tow wiring harness. The currie baseplate will require some filing to fit perfectly but it's cheaper than BlueOx and nicer looking. Bought the towbar off ebay for half price and bought a reconditioning kit from BlueOx. Did all the installation work myself - easy peasy.
Doing all the work yourself... How much did you save doing that?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #162

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
After all was said and done, we ended up getting a 2011 Honda CRV EX-L 4WD to go with our 2012 Allegro 35QBA!!

We love this car as a toad and even as a daily driver for DW, though she says she will miss her Murano that ended up on the trading block in the deal. She will get over it. She already loves the CRV with its better visibility and gas mileage (she says it will help offset the RV somewhat

Now when we pick up the coach in less than 2 weeks we already have our toad and will let the RV dealer hook us up with the entire setup. That should start us on the road perfectly for our first ride in our FIRST RV EVER!!!

We're stoked!!!

BoogieMan
Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #163

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toad

We tow a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid. Use Brake Buddy and magnetic lights. Has worked great for us.
kdmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #164

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have towed a wrangler, easy, an HHR, easy too, now gonna tow a Ram 1500 4x4. I have always installed the base plates, use a Blue Ox aventaLX. The Dodge was pretty easy to set-up too. Have always used my ReadyBrake, hope it will work with my Ram.
wah864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #165

Monaco Owners Club
Towing 1984 CJ 7 with Roadmaster Black Hawk 2 ll Terrain Tow Bar. Made my own base plate for tow bar as Roadmaster didn't have one for a 84 Jeep. Planning to install M&G break system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84CJ Jeep.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	16125   Click image for larger version

Name:	84CJ LS1 Engine.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	16126  

kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #166

Monaco Owners Club
I have just purchased a ford fusion to flat tow,(haven't had a chance to tow any distance yet) then read the problems some have had with the older models transmisions overheating and failing.Now reading many post here of differant toads, I did not read anything about the 2012 fusion. so I am starting to worry about my choise to tow. Ford dealer says no problem with transmision fluid lowered,stop and run engine 5 minutes to cool transmision fluid every 6 hours or less. I would like to here from anyone that is towing the 2012 Fusion.
jarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #167

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
2011 Jeep Wrangler Hard Top. Auto Trans w/ Transfer Box. SIMPLE & FUN. Best part is no matter how sharp the corner - or miscalculation of a turn - the Jeep takes the curb like a champ.
denNdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #168

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Towing 1984 CJ 7 with Roadmaster Black Hawk 2 ll Terrain Tow Bar. Made my own base plate for tow bar as Roadmaster didn't have one for a 84 Jeep. Planning to install M&G break system.
Nice!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing