Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #29

2007 Chevy Tahoe 4 wheel drive 4 down.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I towed a Toyota Avalon 30,000 miles+ using a Demco Kar Kaddy SS dolly. Just a few months ago I sold the Avalon and the dolly thinking 4 down would be the way to go. I bought my first GM car in years, a 2011 Chev Malibu which I have now towed 4000 miles. I understand why the American auto manufacturers are in trouble. The design, engineering, craftsmanship and quality of the Malibu is equivalent to a Yugo compared to the quality of a Honda, Toyota, etc. For those that exalt the virtues of 4 down towing, most have never used a dolly. For me it was so much quicker and easier to use a dolly. Granted, you will have to disconnect and move the dolly if you have a back in space but if you have a pull through its a snap. Unhook two chains and two straps and you're ready to go. On several trips with others towing 4 down I have waited for them to get hooked up.

So to answer your question, I'm currently towing a 2011 Chev Malibu 6 cyl and would go back to the 2007 Avalon in a heartbeat. Tow whatever vehicle you like, I just happen to prefer a comfortable, dependable and well designed vehicle that has some value in five years.
We have a blue ox setup. 2 pins, lights and safety cables and we are done. I do this all in under 2 minutes. I think towing 4 down is the best way to go unless you want to tow different types of vehicles or you have to do this.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #31

Tow a 10 HHR many miles with Blue OX great tow and not to bad a car to drive.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp
Hi Boogieman:

We purchased all of our parts from RV Parts, RV Accessories RV Supplies Priced Low Blue Ox Tow Bar, Blue Ox towing bracket for Sebring and Remco transmission pump plus wiring and safety chains.

I approached Camping World and asked for a fixed price to install these items. They installed everything.

I did this about 3 years ago and the rig is a 1,000 miles away with my receipts so I can't look up the exact costs. But, if I were to swag it I'd say 13 to 17 hundred.

Pat
Thanks, so around $2k. Ok. Any caveats?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tow 08 HHR 4 down with blue ox baseplate and towbar. I switched the fuse needing pulled while towng. I found some of my blue ox equipment on E-Bay.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by familywagon View Post
We have a blue ox setup. 2 pins, lights and safety cables and we are done. I do this all in under 2 minutes.
I also use the Blue Ox set-up but I have several additional steps.

1. Install attaching tabs on the baseplate.

2. Install pins in the tow bar arms to the tabs.

3. Attach wiring cable to mh then to the toad.

4. Attach safety cables to mh then to the toad.

5. Attach air line for brake system to the mh and then to the toad.

6. Attach breakaway cable to the mh and then to the toad.

7. Flip switch to disable the ignition fuse, shift to neutral with the key in ACC position.

8. Drive mh forward to make sure the arms latch.

9. Check light operation on toad.

When I get that down to less than two minutes I'm calling Nascar 'cause I can teach those pit crew guys some stuff.

My hats off to you and I'd enjoy watching your swiftness in hooking up.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #35

Mini Cooper S, six speed with run flat tires.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Started out using a tow dolly. Always thought it was too much trouble. Shopped around until I found the jeep wrangler unlimited (4 door) rubicon 4wd like I wanted that had been somebody elses toad. 07' with 17k miles already rigged with the Blue Ox system. Purchase included the tow bar and everything ready to go. I think the hook up and unhook is a lot easier and faster than the tow dolly.
I saw someone say they take the key out and go. I always leave the key "on" so the stearing column is unlocked. I can't see how you could tow properly with the column locked. The jeep tows great, can't tell it's back there.

05 Safari Gazelle
Old 10-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #37

Nor'easters Club
Late model wranglers steering wheel do not lock so you can take the key out.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tow a 2007 HHR Chevrolet, Auto Trans., Blue Ox Tow bar, brake buddy. The HHR is designed to be flat towed, four down. It is very easy to set up for towing. No requirement to start up engine occassionally. The toad battery is charged by the motorhome so I can tow for days enroute and never have to worry about the battery going dead. I have towed this vehicle for approximately 25,000 miles to date.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I tried to tow my 1995 Ford Explorer 4X4 but was told I could not do it without extensive and expensive modifications, so I bought an additional vehicle that I was sure I could tow - a 1993 Suzuki Sidekick. It weighs about 3,000 lbs. and I have had no problems towing it. Hook it up and turn the key off, check the steering wheel, put it in neutral, and make sure the brake is off, and it is ready to go. It takes me about 15 minutes to hook it up by myself. I have a Falcon 2 tow bar - easy to use and the company has great customer service.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #40

Ordered a 2012 Lincoln MKX and plan to tow 4 down.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #41

Ford Escape - purchased specifically for towing 4 down.

Manual Transmission with 4 cyl.
Weighs 3300 lbs with fuel.

Blue Ox base plate w/removable tabs and a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar

Turn key enough to unlock steering, put in neutral. Nothing else required.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Late model wranglers steering wheel do not lock so you can take the key out.

My 07' Wrangler Unlimited steering column most definently does lock. I made that mistake once. Forgot to leave the key on and started out, got about a hundred yards before I could feel the "drag". Checked and steering wheel was locked with wheels slightly out of line with the coach. When I saw your message I went outside and turned the wheel in the jeep until it locked, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Don't know about other jeeps or jeep models, but mine locks for sure.

Tags
towing