Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #43
Our toad is an '06 Mini Cooper S Convertible (manual) with run flat tires. Takes my husband about 10 minutes to hook everything up including an extra shield to protect the Mini from road debris.

TheLoveCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #44
Tiffin Owners Club
Boogieman I currently tow a 2010 Acadia 4-down and find it to be very convenient. I have towed a Chevy Pickup with oil pump added and a Toyota Pickup with drive shaft disconnect. Both gave a few problems but the Acadia is easiest.

Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #45

What vehicle are you towing 4 down?

I tow a 2011 Ford Edge. Only cost was to have installed the Blue Ox tow bar assembly on the Edge. Weighs 4K, easy tow and takes only minutes to hook up to tow bar, el cable. More room than CRV, and in my opinion, better quality.
Tom, Jan withn Papillons, Chance N Candy
'13 (60th annaversary) AMBASSADOR 40' DFT
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #46
Tiffin Owners Club
MINI Cooper Clubman S, 2010 six-speed manual. RoadMaster tow stuff . . . base plate, tow bar, supplemental brake, tow shield. Works great!

The MINI does not have a locking steering column so there is no need to put in the ignition key or pull any fuses.

Oh, forgot to mention . . . one of the most fun cars ever to drive!
Warren and Debbie
2014 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #47

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
It takes me about 15 minutes to hook it up by myself.
Thanks Barbara for being honest. It takes me about 10 minutes and the poster that hooks up in less than two minutes must be awesome or needs a new stop watch. Heck, it takes me two minutes to get all the cables untangled.
Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #48
2009 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon towed 4 down.

I can hook up/unhook in just a few minutes. Put transfer case in neutral and transmission in park. I do not have to turn key as my steering wheel does not lock. I believe only the 2007 unlimited required that and then jeep did away with the locking steering wheel.
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45DL24
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 35" tires, 4" lift
jeeprubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #49
Originally Posted by chuck49
I always leave the key "on" so the stearing column is unlocked. I can't see how you could tow properly with the column locked. The jeep tows great, can't tell it's back there.
From 2009 to present Jeeps do not have steering wheel locks. I tow a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited and it it's very easy to setup for four down. Put the transfer case in neutral and the Jeep is ready. As for the tow bar and supplemental braking system they are pretty easy as well. Takes about ten minutes for all. The total cost for me was around $2,000. We have the Roadmaster All Terrain II tow bar with Roadmaster base plates and Brakemaster brake.
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
2005 Chevy Z71 Suburban
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #50
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We never had a toad while still working and only vacationing 3 or 4 weeks at a time max. It was just as easy and less expensive to rent a car at our destination than buy something and outfit it to tow. Something to think about.

After retiring we stumbled upon our '94 Geo Tracker 2WD standard trans that was a toad for another owner and in great condition. Already had the baseplate and wiring in place. I found a Blue Ox tow bar on Craigslist for $170 in almost new condition. We bought a Readybrake and Readystop for around $400. The entire set up was around $2200 including the car. About 15 minutes to connect, put trans in neutral, key on to unlock steering wheel and disconnect the battery.

DW makes fun of me because I like the goofy little car so much.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #51
I tow a gmc canyon 2005 4 x 4 and it just a push button for the transfer case, put in park and take out the keys. No fuse to pull and the steering wheel does not lock. It's a crew cab and tows good.
BTBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #52
Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2011 Jeep Liberty. The only special requirement is to lockout the transfer case and put it in Park. Takes about 2 seconds. Key can be removed because steering wheel doesn't lock. This allows us to lock the doors for security. Most of the time I don't even know it's back there. Sometimes I have to check to make sure it is still back there.
Craig & Donna
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (aka The Hotel Monterey)
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #53
Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
2008 Chrysler Aspine all wheel dr with blue ox
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #54
Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a 2010 Ford Edge. The car tows great and takes 10 minutes to hook up. I installed the roadmaster brackets on the car myself. Must admit my better half almost fainted when she came into the garage and the front end was completely apart (Brand new car) on the floor. The cars quality is very good and everything we hoped for.
kstateaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #55
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another Chevy HHR fan. 2007. Like a few others, the fuse that I used to pull is now wired. Brake Buddy and Blue Ox. I use magnetic tow lights vs. wiring the HHR , as we carry our bikes on the back of the HHR.

The HHR is a great car. Great mileage, 34 mpg hiway. Plenty of cargo space. We have the 2.2 Ecotec but a 2.4 with a turbo is also available. I understand Chevy quit making the HHR this year.
2006 Fleetwood Bounder
Brickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tow a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport, Blue Ox tow bar and base plate, Ready brake surge brake.
Attached Images

Wayne, Diane, & Bentley (our 22 lb. alarm system)
02 Pace Arrow 37A-Workhorse, 01 Jeep Wrangler toad.
RinkersRanch is online now   Reply With Quote